Poll: Official 2024 Dutch Grand Prix Race Thread - Circuit Zandvoort - Race 15/24

Rate the Dutch race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting, just show me the result already

Results are only viewable after voting.
Lando has won twice in ten races. In the same time, Max has won thrice. It'd be lovely to believe there's going to be a championship challenge in the remaining races, but it's just not credible. Norris/McLaren will win some races, they may even close the gap, but they are showing no signs of having the race-to-race consistency and domination required to overturn Max's lead.
They've changed the car to make it more predictable, which has made it understeer more. This is why Perez wasn't as bad as usual, but they've also lowered the overall potential, which Max was able to extract.
Is that equivalent to the points he lost giving the race win to Piastri?

That would be painful.. lol
Except he was never entitled to the points. The team did it to prevent the undercut (probably didn't need to); Norris couldn't make the overtake without it.

I wouldn't want to see Norris win this year. It's probably been a bit of a shock that they have a shot at the title, but he's been so sulky about it - would prefer to see him come back with a better attitude next year.

If Lando wins the remaining races and Max comes second in them all, Lando loses by 7 points :p

It only needs a DNF or a few races where both Mclarens, Mercs and Ferrari's finish ahead of Max to really close things up - but Lando does need to be winning every race and at the moment it feels like every race could be one by any one of the 7 in contention.

I wonder if Max will play the numbers game here or go back to his old ways and through away good points in the pusuit of winning and have the incidents that come with it.

I don't think Piastri did that badly, really. His problem was an inability to overtake Leclerc, so he was stuck at Ferrari pace, but he was quick in clear air. This is still only his second season, he's doing okay.
You don't think so? Started P3, dropped to P4 - then couldn't pass Russell at all for that entire first stint.

I think he's doing okay for his second season in F1 but I think this race was particularly weak.

You don't think so? Started P3, dropped to P4 - then couldn't pass Russell at all for that entire first stint.

I think it was an ordinary race for him. Like Norris he struggled off the line, unlike Norris he wasn't able to get past the car that overtook him. That's about all the difference in their races. Norris was able to get past Max, but then Max was - at that point in the race - actually pretty slow. This isn't a great circuit for passing, so I don't really hold that much against him.

Getting P4 when your teammate got P1 is a fairly ordinary sort of spread; and it's not like Piastri was miles off Norris in either quali or race in raw pace. So for me: Norris had a good weekend, Piastri had an ordinary one. If Piastri had come 6th or 8th or something, then I'd say he had a poor race.

I think it was an ordinary race for him. Like Norris he struggled off the line, unlike Norris he wasn't able to get past the car that overtook him. That's about all the difference in their races. Norris was able to get past Max, but then Max was - at that point in the race - actually pretty slow. This isn't a great circuit for passing, so I don't really hold that much against him.

Getting P4 when your teammate got P1 is a fairly ordinary sort of spread; and it's not like Piastri was miles off Norris in either quali or race in raw pace. So for me: Norris had a good weekend, Piastri had an ordinary one. If Piastri had come 6th or 8th or something, then I'd say he had a poor race.
Yeah, actually that's fair and I agree. I think 3rd would have made for a good weekend for Piastri but you're right, 4th isn't a bad result by any means.

This is still Maxs championship, the Mclaren and Mercedes drivers will all take points off each other which will stop Landos 'charge' and Max will just keep scoring points to win.

I'll happily eat my hat otherwise, but if it stays like this then next season should hopefully be fun.

Getting P4 when your teammate got P1 is a fairly ordinary sort of spread; and it's not like Piastri was miles off Norris in either quali or race in raw pace.
In terms of positions, you're absolutely right. However he was almost 30 seconds behind Norris at the flag. That's the kind of lack of performance that's been getting people grabbing their pitchforks and calling for Stroll/Perez to be fired.

Piastri's got the one-lap pace but his flaw, hanging over from last year, still seems to be that he cannot keep his tyres alive for a full stint - even with a car that's got a 0.25s pace advantage over the best in the field. It's been the case in other races this year but was masked by safety cars to bunch the field up. This race went fully lights to flag and really highlighted it.

Last edited:
In terms of positions, you're absolutely right. However he was almost 30 seconds behind Norris at the flag.

True, but only because he was unable to pass Russell and later Leclerc. What he lacked wasn't pace, as we saw when he was running in clear air, it was the ability to overtake.

That's the kind of lack of performance that's been getting people grabbing their pitchforks and calling for Stroll/Perez to be fired.

Piastri has rarely matched Lando on race pace, mostly struggling to keep his tyre life going, but he's also rarely this far behind. It's the consistency of Checo's underperformance that leads to these calls not individual races.

Should be a more interesting championship next season. McLaren are on a march if they can maintain it. Max probably has enough to win this season, barring any DNFs.

Last edited:
RB are going to lose the constructors almost exclusively due to how rubbish Perez has been/is. If Perez was better, they'd be miles clear by now and could likely keep the gap big enough by the end of the season.

He really must pull in the promo/advertising/sponsor bucks...

RB are going to lose the constructors almost exclusively due to how rubbish Perez has been/is. If Perez was better, they'd be miles clear by now and could likely keep the gap big enough by the end of the season.

Perez only has the drive because he brings money with him. Otherwise he'd be out on his ear - imho.

Perez only has the drive because he brings money with him. Otherwise he'd be out on his ear - imho.

There's been rumours that the Slim family will cover the difference in prize money if Red Bull lose the constructors championship due to Perez.... which let's be honest, it will be due to Perez.

Whichever one was on Norris' car was fantastic, much better for showing the onboards.
Yeah gives a good indication of the true tilt at the track. The last corner in particular is crazy steep looking at it IRL. Only thing it struggles to show is the level inclines/declines.

It wasn't you but there was someone in here who thought it was artificially emphasised, I can assure you the banking is pretty accurate to what was shown from the gimbal cam.

Edit: Spelling.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom