Official 2024 Italian Grand Prix Race Thread - Autodromo Nazionale Monza - Race 16/24

If they don’t think kimi is ready just chuck Bottas back in it for a year or two. He won’t set the place alight but it shouldn’t break it either.

Last edited:
If they don’t think kimi is ready just h ch pick Bottas back in it for a year or two. He won’t set the place alight but it shouldn’t break it either.
I rather think Mercedes have realistic expectation, he is not being asked to replace Lewis at all. The pressure is more than likely to be on George. But we've not had a decision yet have we?

Completely agree on this. I've seen absolutely nothing special about the kid that warrants anywhere near the level of hype about him. I'll happily eat my words if he comes out of the gates swinging next year, but I really cannot see it.

He's won every single full season of a single seater championship he's entered. Italian F4 and ADAC Formula 4 in 2022, and Formula Regional Middle East and Formula Regional European in 2023. Four championships in two years. He's the youngest driver in F2, having skipped F3 entirely, but despite that he's sitting 7th in his rookie season with two wins; way ahead of his fancied teammate, Oli Bearman, in the same team. I think he'd have been better to do F3 this year, F2 next, and get into F1 for 2026 but he's certainly earned the hype around him and while I think we shouldn't expect too much of him next year I'm pretty sure he's going to be a future star of F1.

Don't they generally swap the new engines in later in the weekend? I didn't think they'd want to put mileage on a new engine in FP1 and 2. In any case, I doubt he damaged the engine with that crash, the gravel had taken most of the speed out of him before he hit the barriers.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, the other rookie should be quietly pleased with his first day as a Williams driver. Decently close to Albon's time and no memorably embarrassing moments. I hope he can put in a decent run tomorrow afternoon.

Kimi is clearly talented based on his record. Obviously too early to write him off over a big crash on his debut practice session, but it's not the best start.:p

I wonder if Mercedes were planning to announce Kimi as a driver after FP1 today? Then changed their minds after the outcome.

There was certainly a lot of talk about it happening this weekend. I imagine they'll delay now lol.

No idea why all the hype about him. Skipped F3, in 7th place in F2 with half of the points of Hadjar. Crashes on his 2nd hot lap in P1. It's not a great look. He's more a Logan Sargeant than a Max Verstappen so far.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom