Poll: Official 2024 Miami Grand Prix Race Thread - Miami International Autodrome - Race 6/24

Rate the Miami race out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Caporegime
Sure, the safety car might have meant Norris ultimately won, but in fairness to him he might have been close even without it.

It's impressive to see McLaren closing the gap on the RB. Shame Mercedes haven't been able to do the same thing.

Man of Honour
Sure, the safety car might have meant Norris ultimately won, but in fairness to him he might have been close even without it.

It's impressive to see McLaren closing the gap on the RB. Shame Mercedes haven't been able to do the same thing.
I think it’s a combination of the upgrades and the Red Bull struggling for whatever reason. Max said a few times during the sprint race that he was struggling for grip.

Caporegime
I think it’s a combination of the upgrades and the Red Bull struggling for whatever reason. Max said a few times during the sprint race that he was struggling for grip.
I’m sure Max got tagged by Perez at the start and suffered some minor damage to his diffuser and then some minor damage to his front wing when he hit the bollard. Even losing a couple of points of downforce would bring the performance down. He certainly couldn’t catch Lando after the safety car.

Caporegime
I’m sure Max got tagged by Perez at the start and suffered some minor damage to his diffuser and then some minor damage to his front wing when he hit the bollard. Even losing a couple of points of downforce would bring the performance down. He certainly couldn’t catch Lando after the safety car.

Red Bull say his diffuser got scratched by Pérez at the start, but they haven't said anything about downforce loss and, honestly, I'd be surprised. The bollard incident did damage his floor, but Norris was already showing blistering pace on old mediums at that point.

Associate
While Norris was definitely quicker at the end I doubt he had enough speed to comfortably get past a car on track. We saw it was tough for him earlier in the race, so from that point of view it wouldn't have been impossible but clearly much harder to win without the safety car. I don't feel the need to over analyse it or mark his win with an asterisk though, it's all part of the race and he was in the position to take advantage (and therefore the probability of a win) on merit.

As for those giving Max a hard time, I haven't seen anything myself that raised that sentiment personally. If you're in a boring situation with two of your mates then I'm not surprised trying to make them laugh crossed his mind. Particularly with Lando, anyone remember Riccardo asking him if he's got pubes yet? Same thing tbh.

Soldato
Anyone know why Lewis pitted so early? It was only couple of laps after George who was on used mediums going into the race. Think that was a mistake on merc's/ his part. He could have had 2nd maybe 3rd if they stayed out longer.

Caporegime
Anyone know why Lewis pitted so early? It was only couple of laps after George who was on used mediums going into the race. Think that was a mistake on merc's/ his part. He could have had 2nd maybe 3rd if they stayed out longer.

There was a group of four drivers he'd have ended up behind if he'd pitted any later. No way that Merc could have known that there was going to be a safety car.

Associate
Good race considering it seemed almost impossible to overtake on the insanely long straight, not sure what was going on there. Did they shorten the DRS zone this time?

Very happy that Norris won. I don't think the actual safety car being called was lucky - but the safety car picking up Max and not Lando was insanely lucky.

Enjoyable race, always funny seeing the Alpines playing a game of who might put who in the wall.

Soldato

During the weekend I heard someone say something along the lines of Mercedes went one way with the zero side pod car and then went the other way with this car. Because of this they apparently now know the way forward.(?!?)

Yeah, i'm not really sure what that means either.... Lol

Man of Honour
OP
During the weekend I heard someone say something along the lines of Mercedes went one way with the zero side pod car and then went the other way with this car. Because of this they apparently now know the way forward.(?!?)

Yeah, i'm not really sure what that means either.... Lol

Mercedes have been saying they know the way forward for almost 3 years now; yet they seem to be going backwards; I don't think they have a clue at this point

Soldato
Having watched the F1 and Sky highlights what struck me was how many of the drivers congratulated Lando on his win. Seems to be a popular lad in the paddock, even Sainz was happy for Lando, despite their history of playful antics whilst the other is getting interviewed!

Man of Honour
OP
Having watched the F1 and Sky highlights what struck me was how many of the drivers congratulated Lando on his win. Seems to be a popular lad in the paddock, even Sainz was happy for Lando, despite their history of playful antics whilst the other is getting interviewed!

Sainz and Lando are besties so I'm not surprised he was delighted. But yeah seems very popular in the paddock generally

Soldato
Sainz and Lando are besties so I'm not surprised he was delighted. But yeah seems very popular in the paddock generally
Even after Lando's "a flick too far"? :p

I wonder if the likes of Carlos, Charles, Danny Ric, George etc were welcoming Lando to the winner's club and then Max, Lewis and Alonso were saying the same but then "Some way to the champion's club yet!" :D

Associate
Good race considering it seemed almost impossible to overtake on the insanely long straight, not sure what was going on there. Did they shorten the DRS zone this time?

Very happy that Norris won. I don't think the actual safety car being called was lucky - but the safety car picking up Max and not Lando was insanely lucky.

Enjoyable race, always funny seeing the Alpines playing a game of who might put who in the wall.
Was it? I may have missed it in the coverage but I thought he'd already done his pitstop when it picked up Max so all it did was give everyone else a fast lap to prevent them being lapped and as I think Brundle said, keep their tyres warm. If it had been further ahead it would have picked up Lando after his stop so same positions no?

Soldato
Yeah I need someone to explain the safety car thing, preferably with diagrams. I’d gone to the loo and came back with commentators talking about the pack having to go past the safety car and Lando being on for the win. I asked my girlfriend who was engrossed in her phone what happened, she just looked at me and shrugged :p

Back
Top Bottom