Poll: Official 2024 Monaco Grand Prix Race Thread - Circuit de Monaco - Race 8/24

Rate the Monaco procession out of one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I noticed that none of the drivers looked even remotely sweaty when they got out of the cars!

Good for Charles to finally win his home race; that must feel really special. But oh my what a waste of time..

Caporegime
The Sky group had to constantly remind each other to stop saying how dull it was. Was like an episode of “What if?”.

Drivers were complaining in the post race too.

I read half the race was people trying to drive as slow as possible as it was tactically advantageous. Because obviously you can't overtake.

Associate
I read half the race was people trying to drive as slow as possible as it was tactically advantageous. Because obviously you can't overtake.
From the 2 or 3 pit stops, they made back the ~20sec in 3-4 laps. I’d ask for a refund since the ticket was for a race - should’ve put them in go karts.

Soldato
I just finished watching the recording after watching the indy 500 (which was great). Spent the last 10 laps half hoping that Logan Sergeant attempted to unlap himself through the leaders and caused some carnage. I also liked James Vowles' comments when Crofty asked anything like will Albon overtake etc etc and he just said 'No' lol.
I love Monaco scenery and driving the track in games but it really does live up to the boring race comments.

Soldato
In the end, nothing came to anything, but for much of the race the drivers were close enough that something could have happened - if a driver had a bad lock up or clipped the wall or whatever - which made it better than some processions we've seen over the years where there is a 5 or 10 second gap between anyone who matters.
They were all driving at about 70% though. Chance of a lock up, or mistake was so slim that it was basically a guarantee it wouldn't happen.

If we think about it.
Bottas passing a sleeping Sargeant.
Stroll passing Zhou and Sargeant after changing to softs.
Sargeant passing Zhou (as he let traffic through).

Aside from this, it was genuine "Sunday drive" for everyone. There was false hope for some seconds as we wondered if Norris would pit, but on those hards they were never going to. Remember them asking Leclerc to slow down even more? :D It's definitely the worst Monaco I've ever watched.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I do normally like the spectacle of Monaco and it's great to see them threading the needle around there in qualifying.

But even I have to admit, that was just incredibly dull and wasn't even a "race". Ironically, the most exciting bit (the crash) made it even more boring. Needed that to happen in the middle of the race really.

They need to do something because it is clear that the cars are just too big to overtake here. The fact it was the first race where the top 10 didn't change position from qualy to race result is alarming.

I guess the only thing they could do is introduce mandatory pit stops with special mega soft tyres made just for Monaco.

Soldato
News full of Verstappen's whining today. Funny how it's never boring when he's leading by a country mile isn't it?

It's time for the red flag rules to change as everyone has had enough of this crap. The free change of tyres has to go as this isn't the first time it's totally screwed up the whole race.

The argument in favour of it has always been that, when a race is red flagged, there's often a shedload of debris so a risk of punctures but, in cases like this, where the accident was at the back, this isn't a factor.

Tyre changes should be done on a car-by-car basis at the stewards discretion and the teams have to make their case for a change.

Associate
News full of Verstappen's whining today. Funny how it's never boring when he's leading by a country mile isn't it?
Literally every driver was complaining - even the broadcasters couldn't cover how incredibly dull the race was. Winning because you have the faster car is going to be more exciting than driving 4-5sec off the pace on purpose.

Hell, even Charles said it was boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom