Poll: Official 2024 Monaco Grand Prix Race Thread - Circuit de Monaco - Race 8/24

Rate the Monaco procession out of one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's time for the red flag rules to change as everyone has had enough of this crap. The free change of tyres has to go as this isn't the first time it's totally screwed up the whole race.

I do think tyres should be available to change under the red flag because there are so many circumstances under which not allowing it would completely stuff a driver in an unfair fashion. The rule I'd change is to add a minimum number of laps that they have to run on a compound for it to count towards the two compound rule: maybe 15% race distance or so (i.e around 10 laps).

Literally every driver was complaining - even the broadcasters couldn't cover how incredibly dull the race was. Winning because you have the faster car is going to be more exciting than driving 4-5sec off the pace on purpose.

Hell, even Charles said it was boring.

Oh absolutely, it was the most boring race I've ever seen, no doubt about that.

All I'm saying is that Max's (usual) pushing off into the distance is just as boring but of course Max himself doesn't see that.

Oh absolutely, it was the most boring race I've ever seen, no doubt about that.

All I'm saying is that Max's (usual) pushing off into the distance is just as boring but of course Max himself doesn't see that.

Look at comments I made during the race saying exactly the same thing. I'd imagine it is boring every race if the winner is a foregone conclusion, even more so if you are a.n.other driver, let alone a viewer or spectator.

Looks like we could be at the end of the boring period *hopefully* with McLaren and Ferrari finally catching up on some circuits, and Perez being useless in the other Red Bull.

Decided to watch 20 mins of it to see how bad it was.
I watched the first 10 and the last 10.

Wow, I can see why it was considered the most boring gp ever.

Decided to watch 20 mins of it to see how bad it was.
I watched the first 10 and the last 10.

You missed the actual bit where we thought there might be some excitement after Hamilton pitted, and McLaren could have used the gap to Russell to get a free pit and see if they could catch up and get past, but they left it too late, and played it safe to keep track position. Great for the points terrible from an excitement point of view.

I watched the C4 highlights. Yes it was boring, but certainly don't think it was any worse than a lot of other GPs we've had over the last couple of seasons. Probably a 3/10.

Pleased with the result though - glad to see Charles finally win it.

I watched the C4 highlights. Yes it was boring, but certainly don't think it was any worse than a lot of other GPs we've had over the last couple of seasons. Probably a 3/10.

Pleased with the result though - glad to see Charles finally win it.

I dunno.
The positions at the end and start were. Basically identical!

Because there were virtually no pits stops at the top part of the field after the red flag event. In this instance the rules ruined the race, as there was at no point any reason for the cars to go 'fast'.
Plus Sainz got a get out of jail free card meaning he could control the pace of the second McLaren. That rule definitely needs looking at...

Because there were virtually no pits stops at the top part of the field after the red flag event. In this instance the rules ruined the race, as there was at no point any reason for the cars to go 'fast'.

Plus Sainz got a get out of jail free card meaning he could control the pace of the second McLaren. That rule definitely needs looking at...

Not the first time that the 'you can change tyres during a red flag' has negatively affected a Monaco GP. I agree, that one really ought to be looked into.

Being able to work on the car probably needs to be retained on a safety ground. But maybe something inspired by how wec has to handle critical refuelling when pits are closed and have non safety (could argue for any) changes result in a drive through to be served after race is green again (so within 3 laps same as any penalty?) to simulate, mostly, the pit stop you would have had.

Last edited:
Look at comments I made during the race saying exactly the same thing. I'd imagine it is boring every race if the winner is a foregone conclusion, even more so if you are a.n.other driver, let alone a viewer or spectator.

Looks like we could be at the end of the boring period *hopefully* with McLaren and Ferrari finally catching up on some circuits, and Perez being useless in the other Red Bull.

This is my whole problem with Max. He rants on about how Monaco wasn't really a race but then he doesn't care about having a race anyway and is more than happy to decimate the field by as much as possible.

This has always been in contrast to the likes of Lewis, who is a born racer and said multiple times throughout the Mercedes dominant years that he did find it a bit dull and wanted everyone else to catch up and make a fight of it.

Lewis cares about racing. Max just cares about winning.

Very very very dull 'race'- is there absolutely no way on Earth they can change the track somehow ? - I know it's hard but is there any other streets they can use to double the length of the track or something?

Otherwise I don't know what to suggest, smaller cars would help, but then, every other race on the calendar is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom