Poll: Official 2024 Monaco Grand Prix Race Thread - Circuit de Monaco - Race 8/24

Rate the Monaco procession out of one

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I can’t imagine what a 1/10 would look like for you.

In the end, nothing came to anything, but for much of the race the drivers were close enough that something could have happened - if a driver had a bad lock up or clipped the wall or whatever - which made it better than some processions we've seen over the years where there is a 5 or 10 second gap between anyone who matters.

Man of Honour
And when Leclerc said Jimmy's, it was actually Jimmy'z and it's this place.

FNMnHRl.jpeg

JRS

JRS

Soldato
It's not the car size that's the problem, the track just isn't suitable for wheel to wheel racing. Even back in 1992 when the cars were 1.8m wide and 3/4s the length and weight, Mansell couldn't get passed Senna on fresh tyres.

And yet a year before that he did get by Prost:

The track isn't the real problem (though the cars are definitely far too long and way too heavy). The current crop of drivers lacking the racecraft and the testicular fortitude is.

Compound that with the tendency for teams to prefer safe strategies of tyre saving to avoid pitstops instead of balls-out racing, then you get processions like we got today.

Also this.

Last edited:
Associate
The red flag killed even the "excitement" of race strategy.
It was better back in the days when a red flag at the first corner just resulted in a whole race restart (with a lap off the race total) and people couldn't change tyres.

It makes no sense why they restore the grid yet you can change the tires. (if its fear of punchers etc they should have to go on same compound if they do change them)

I didn't like how race leader wasn't that far from completing a full lap yet they chose to use the second safety car line (Saintz should never have been allowed that 3rd place back he was out of the race)

Monaco should be a sprint race only

Caporegime
It makes no sense why they restore the grid yet you can change the tires.

They don't "restore the grid". They reset to the last official timing point that all (remaining) drivers completed before the flag. Usually a sector boundary. Which is why some drivers did gain places for the restart.

I think they should be far less cautious about choosing this point. All drivers should be assessed as where they were when the flag fell or as close to it as possible - e.g. if an overtake was underway it doesn't count but everything else does.

Soldato
And of course Verstappen defeated AGAIN!

Understeery and bouncy Red Bull

Did they copy Mercedes?
From all that was said over the weekend it sounds like the Red Bull doesn’t like bouncy/uneven surfaces. And from what max says, it sounds pretty stiff too as it seems like he took a battering this race. (And last if I remember rightly.)

I guess we’ll see what happens at the next race. I.e. business as usual or are Red Bull actually being caught…

Soldato
I guess we’ll see what happens at the next race. I.e. business as usual or are Red Bull actually being caught…
Sounds like everyone is expecting more of the same at Canada because it’s quite bumpy and kerby apparently. Spain afterwards will be the real insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom