Poll: Official 2024 Singapore Grand Prix Race Thread - Marina Bay Street Circuit - Race 18/24

Rate the Singapore race out of ten

• One

• Two

• Three

• Four

• Five

• Six

• Seven

• Eight

• Nine

• Ten

• I’m not voting for, just show me the results.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I’m on holiday so don’t watch it. The 8min YouTube highlights was enough.

I agree with McLaren though, clearly the only reason Ricciardo went for fastest lap was to take the point off Norris - and that’s collusion between two teams. Shouldn’t be allowed.

I doubt it without Newey.
why does everyone think this bloke is a god ?
I mean yes he has helped develop the last 2 seasons redbulls into good cars, but since it has come to light that redbull have been using this brake bias valve, I wonder how dominant last seasons car would have actually been without it.
And the other 2 top teams aren't far behind them now either.

all I am saying is the other teams have managed to find similar performance without him.

why does everyone think this bloke is a god ?
I mean yes he has helped develop the last 2 seasons redbulls into good cars, but since it has come to light that redbull have been using this brake bias valve, I wonder how dominant last seasons car would have actually been without it.
And the other 2 top teams aren't far behind them now either.

all I am saying is the other teams have managed to find similar performance without him.

Because he's the most winning F1 designer ever, having being the chief designer across multiple teams (proof on its own that his impact is immeasurable). How can anyone not hold him in high esteem? You'd have to have suffered a bad head injury to think otherwise.

Last edited:
Because he's the most winning F1 designer ever, having being the chief designer across multiple teams (proof on its own that his impact is immeasurable). How can anyone not hold him in high esteem? You'd have to have suffered a bad head injury to think otherwise.
I'm not saying he shouldn't be held in high esteem. But people are carrying on like he is a god. There are other car designers/teams that have done just as good a job. Where is the over the top praise for mercs designer when they won 8 consecutive wccs/wdcs?
It took RB 8 years to come up with a car that equalled merc.
Add to that, the latest cars that have won were pretty much cheating with this brake valve, I know technically they weren't cheating but as soon as FIA discovered it, it was banned.

It took RB 8 years to come up with a car that equalled merc.
Merc had the advantage of having the best engine, possibly for the entire season; and it was good from day 1. Not saying Merc didn't do a good job with the rest of the car, but they had a huge advantage thanks to their engine department.

The Renault engine was and still is the worst engine on the grid. Power aside, there's an impact on packaging which affects aero and weight distribution. RB steadily improved once they moved to Honda, and they wouldn't have had the success that they've been having with out.
Add to that, the latest cars that have won were pretty much cheating with this brake valve, I know technically they weren't cheating but as soon as FIA discovered it, it was banned.
By your definition, every team is cheating? Guess that's just proving your bias and why you don't rate Newey.

Every team has exploited loopholes, including Merc, and more recently McLaren. Finding gaps in the rules adds to what makes these engineers great at their job.

Merc had the advantage of having the best engine, possibly for the entire season; and it was good from day 1. Not saying Merc didn't do a good job with the rest of the car, but they had a huge advantage thanks to their engine department.
It was also 2 years where engine suppliers didn't have to give the exact same 'mode options' to their customer teams - so no matter how good McLaren or Lotus were, they were never going to beat the Mercedes in 2014 or 2015 becasue the available engine modes just weren't the same.

Where is the over the top praise for mercs designer when they won 8 consecutive wccs/wdcs?

To be fair, I think it was generally considered that the Mercedes era of dominance was significantly due to the superior engine performance and I remember all sorts of praise being thrown at AMG HPP in the early days of the hybrid era because it was almost embarrassing how good that powertrain package was compared to everyone else. As an example, albeit slightly anecdotal, look at how Williams jumped from finishing with 5 points in 2013 to third place in constructors in 2014 and 2015 when switching to the Mercedes engine.

Even with that though, people like James Allison get their fair share of praise for achievements at Mercedes (and prior) I think.

The reason Newey gets held in such high regard I think is down to the view that his cars have performed well primarily because of great aerodynamic packages that he influences, even when other elements like the powertrain haven't necessarily been the best on the grid.

It was also 2 years where engine suppliers didn't have to give the exact same 'mode options' to their customer teams - so no matter how good McLaren or Lotus were, they were never going to beat the Mercedes in 2014 or 2015 becasue the available engine modes just weren't the same.
Q2: "Looks like Ferrari are in with a chance"
Q3: Bono: "Hammer time, Lewis" *clicks switch on steering wheel* - pole by 6 tenths.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be held in high esteem. But people are carrying on like he is a god. There are other car designers/teams that have done just as good a job. Where is the over the top praise for mercs designer when they won 8 consecutive wccs/wdcs?

I agree to the extent that Newey is probably discussed more than he should be, but he is an exceptionally talented man. Probably the greatest individual design talent in the sport for the last forty years. However, designs are produced by teams and we don't normally hear so much about individual contributions, Newey is good that doesn't mean that it is worth giving him his extreme demands in regards to team control, etc. Newey was also lucky with the ground effect return, his experience during the last era, as well as his pre-F1 knowledge, absolutely gave him and Red Bull a massive edge in '22 and '23.

That's what good F1 designers do. Also, the FIA have denied Red Bull were using such a valve anyway.

The Renault engine was and still is the worst engine on the grid. Power aside, there's an impact on packaging which affects aero and weight distribution. RB steadily improved once they moved to Honda, and they wouldn't have had the success that they've been having with out.

By your definition, every team is cheating? Guess that's just proving your bias and why you don't rate Newey.

Every team has exploited loopholes, including Merc, and more recently McLaren. Finding gaps in the rules adds to what makes these engineers great at their job.

I think everyone has missed my point to be quite honest.
I don't have a bias, and I have clearly said in my previous post that he is quite obviously amazing at what he does and is in the position he is in for a reason, I just don't think he is the god that people are making him out to be.
Like it has been said by other posters his achievements are amazing, but the way everyone carries on talking about him as if he is some kind of car god that has powers that no one else has.

Specifically the latest car, the performance fell off a cliff as soon as the brake bias valve was talked about, so all that aero advantage was actually just down to the ability to run lower downforce and make up the difference in corners with clever braking (fwiw I wish that F1 allowed more of this kind of stuff)

To be fair, I think it was generally considered that the Mercedes era of dominance was significantly due to the superior engine performance and I remember all sorts of praise being thrown at AMG HPP in the early days of the hybrid era because it was almost embarrassing how good that powertrain package was compared to everyone else. As an example, albeit slightly anecdotal, look at how Williams jumped from finishing with 5 points in 2013 to third place in constructors in 2014 and 2015 when switching to the Mercedes engine.

Even with that though, people like James Allison get their fair share of praise for achievements at Mercedes (and prior) I think.

The reason Newey gets held in such high regard I think is down to the view that his cars have performed well primarily because of great aerodynamic packages that he influences, even when other elements like the powertrain haven't necessarily been the best on the grid.
interesting, thanks for this. :)

I can’t remember where I saw it but I believe Newey designed cars have a 20% win rate. Which is pretty impressive considering how long he’s been around.

Not at all..but it seems the F1 fans here seem to think most of the races are dull and boring (which is sad). F1 fan of 30+ years having not missed a single race since end 1993 season. Only one race was ALMOST enough to stop me watching... because the result was fixed "for the show" but I find most races enjoyable in some way...

Not at all..but it seems the F1 fans here seem to think most of the races are dull and boring (which is sad). F1 fan of 30+ years having not missed a single race since end 1993 season. Only one race was ALMOST enough to stop me watching... because the result was fixed "for the show" but I find most races enjoyable in some way...

Watched almost all of the races since 1996 - there have certainly been some howlers in there but regardless I tune in weekend after weekend anyway!
I've also watched a lot of Indycar the last decade or so and frankly there are more dull races there; and that's not even the ovals

Back
Top Bottom