Official 2024 United States Grand Prix Race Thread - Circuit of the Americas - Race 19/24

At least verstappen is p2 for a few laps?.. Corners?... Corner?.. Meters?
I don't think I'm talking rocket science here but we all know Max will point his car at Lando's on the line, get alongside, shove him half-off the circuit until Lando has to back out at the first corner. Not baiting, we all know how it's gonna go down :) I'll be happy to be proven wrong though, of course. If Lando gets a tremendous start and thinks the corner is rightfully his, it could be interesting.

Mercedes broke curfew last night on Russell's car and Russell is to start from the pit lane as they didn't have enough spares of the same spec to rebuild it.

Hamilton currently will start P17.

*sigh*

They really might as well have done full PU changes, gearbox changes and setup changes on both cars. Start both from the pit lane and hope they can get to P10. But they way their weekend is going, it's going to be a bad race for both of them.

Or, taken the upgraded parts of Hamilton's car, revert him to the previous spec, have Russell start in P6 and Hamilton from the pitlane with the new PU and setup changes. It's no real loss for him.

Last edited:
I don't think it was the lack of spares that caused the pitlane start, as you are allowed to change the specification of a car on a sprint weekend if you don't have sufficient spares, but the fact that they kept working after the parc ferme covers should have been placed on the car.

George would still have had to start from the pitlane, even with a current spec of car, if this work exceeded the time limit as well.

Hamilton said in his interview after qualifying that he wanted to change his setup and start from the pitlane otherwise he'd be going nowhere. I suspect he's quite annoyed that the team had to spend all night fixing George's car so he has no choice but to start 17th with no changes.

It wouldn't be surprising if it's Merc's upgrade that is causing the inconsistency this weekend aswell. The same happened in the Dutch GP where they introduced one straight after winning Spa and they were absolutely nowhere there too. I guess we'll find out in the race if George is suddenly rapid when they were quite evenly matched in the sprint.

I don't think it was the lack of spares that caused the pitlane start, as you are allowed to change the specification of a car on a sprint weekend if you don't have sufficient spares, but the fact that they kept working after the parc ferme covers should have been placed on the car.

George would still have had to start from the pitlane, even with a current spec of car, if this work exceeded the time limit as well.
Thats why they broke the curfew. Couldn't fix the car in the normally allowed time, so they're allowed to break the curfew several time a year. I think this year it's 2 curfew breaks allowed.

They've changed the spec and setup of the car. That's why he's starting from the pit lane.

Last edited:
What a weekend to forget for Mercedes and both drivers. Train wreck.

I guess at the most they can hope for is low points scoring positions for both unless Fer/Mcl/RedB have lots of retirements.

Thats why they broke the curfew. Couldn't fix the car in the normally allowed time, so they're allowed to break the curfew several time a year. I think this year it's 2 curfew breaks allowed.

They've changed the spec and setup of the car. That's why he's starting from the pit lane.
Exactly it, whilst they can replace damaged parts they have to be like for like, if the spec changes then that is a breach of the parc ferme rules https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...and-prix-from-pit-lane.2XFtnez4EjzJn8yNcUDsNT

Last edited:
Hamilton said post qualifying yesterday he was already looking forward to next week. Mentally checked out and is looking forward to being stuck behind Stroll all race.

Hamilton starts 17th

1SOxL0n.jpeg

Exactly it, whilst they can replace damaged parts they have to be like for like, if the spec changes then that is a breach of the parc ferme rules https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...and-prix-from-pit-lane.2XFtnez4EjzJn8yNcUDsNT

The rules are slightly different for sprint weekends, and you can change parts for those of a different spec if you have no spares. The pitlane start is due to the work still being carried out two hours after qualifying finished, when the car was meant to have the parc ferme covers applied.

Replaced on Russell's car.

Gearbox RNC assembly
LHS and RHS rear outboard suspension assembly
LHS and RHS rear inboard suspension assembly
RHS front outboard suspension assembly
Steering column and steering rack assembly
Steering wheel
Front wing/nose assembly
Rear beam wing
Engine cover
RHS radiator assembly
Radiator ducts (previous specification – Art 40.4 declaration)
LHS & RHS sidepods (previous specification - Art 40.4 declaration)
Floor assembly (previous specification – Art 40.4 declaration)
Lower LHS and RHS side impact structures
Hydraulic control manifold
Seat belts
LHS and RHS front and rear brake friction material
Parameter changes associated with the listed items replacement

Back
Top Bottom