• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

Yeah, well hopefully after christmas I will sort it out. If they agree that this isn't right. Then I am unsure I will be able to get a replacement 7990 due to recent shortages, which is kind of unfortunate, because apart from the fundamental flaws I have had, the card is an absolute beast and definitely has a place in my system.

Yeah not looking good to be honest. Where did you order from? If its from OcuK you never know they may be able to source one from somewhere.

For those with temp problems / differences between the cores I went through the same problem many months in this thread.

My problem was also highlighted through mining and turned out to be a combination of flex and thermal paste. The extremes of mining highlighted the problem with core differences starting at 3 degrees and going to 15+ over a period of a day.

Flex : the card is heavy and it pulls the heatsink off one of the GPU's by a small amount, enough to give problems.

Paste : Many times of messing with paste and sorted this out, make sure enough is applied.

I solved the flex problem by propping up the card with a piece of wood.

Also I noticed that as I was under water, the direction of my loop was critical to stopair bubbles. This may also have been a contributing factor.

On air at 1000/1500 1.1v, I saw mining temps of 73/63C. Gaming temps had the cores within a couple of degrees of each other.
With that massively heavy Aqua Computer block (1310g), the cores are nice and even at 40C apiece with an AX360 (and slightly questionable fans) when mining all night.

I've not seen any flex with either fwiw.

My problem was also highlighted through mining and turned out to be a combination of flex and thermal paste. The extremes of mining highlighted the problem with core differences starting at 3 degrees and going to 15+ over a period of a day.

Cat, I dont really want to strip it apart unless I have to. Hearing Buzz's story makes me think it's not worth it in case of RMA too.

I think I will get my portable desk fan and have a go at placing it in a useful position and see if that helps. The heatsink assembly shouldnt come away and by the sounds of the 290's the cores should be able to take 90c before crapping out.

Either way for mining I am happy running it at lower hash speeds for uptime instead of raw power. Strange as the other core (cpu1 in cgminer) is always cool and never throws out hw errors..

This might take a fair bit of testing, but I just took it apart and put different paste in. (Akasa stuff that came with my Alpenphonn Mount Doom Heatsink I believe) As previously I put a small amount of Arctic Silver 5 in. I went for the less is more approach of cpu's as it's rather conductive to electricity, so didn't want spillages.

Having been re-inspired to have a go at self remedy I decided to put more of this paste on than the arctic silver.

After a run on 3dmark (where I got 101c on gpu 1), I didn't go over 91c this time, however gpu2, which I don't see go over 72c actually hit 76c at one point. I will just keep testing etc over the next few days to a week and see if the paste sets in and improves. Still the results seem a little baffling and may take a bit more testing to see where my temps consistently lie.

One thing I did notice was gpu1 temps are dropping quicker when the it's no longer under heavy load, more akin to that of GPU2. The gap is still a bit big, but if I can start getting a grasp on whether gpu1 is controllable, then I will muster up the courage to build my first water cooling system for it.

Between the general fear of my first attempt at water cooling and fear that I may be throwing hundreds of pounds to cool a card that may be faulty. It's something I have serious reservations about. So I will work to get the card to be more manageable and if I achieve that, then I will throw it under water and see where that gets me. Dammit, 7990's been selling like hot cakes, some smart cookie should bring out an aftermarket air cooler for this bahemouth! (Not going to happen I know :( )

some smart cookie should bring out an aftermarket air cooler for this bahemouth! (Not going to happen I know :( )

I would love an affordable AIO like the H100 is to the CPU. I'm not into WC enough to throw it onto this GPU (although it does deserve it). However a simple to install unit AIO would be awesome and easy to throw into my case.

There are probably a few around but not at the prices £100+ not interested.

This might take a fair bit of testing, but I just took it apart and put different paste in. (Akasa stuff that came with my Alpenphonn Mount Doom Heatsink I believe) As previously I put a small amount of Arctic Silver 5 in. I went for the less is more approach of cpu's as it's rather conductive to electricity, so didn't want spillages.

Having been re-inspired to have a go at self remedy I decided to put more of this paste on than the arctic silver.

After a run on 3dmark (where I got 101c on gpu 1), I didn't go over 91c this time, however gpu2, which I don't see go over 72c actually hit 76c at one point. I will just keep testing etc over the next few days to a week and see if the paste sets in and improves. Still the results seem a little baffling and may take a bit more testing to see where my temps consistently lie.

One thing I did notice was gpu1 temps are dropping quicker when the it's no longer under heavy load, more akin to that of GPU2. The gap is still a bit big, but if I can start getting a grasp on whether gpu1 is controllable, then I will muster up the courage to build my first water cooling system for it.

Between the general fear of my first attempt at water cooling and fear that I may be throwing hundreds of pounds to cool a card that may be faulty. It's something I have serious reservations about. So I will work to get the card to be more manageable and if I achieve that, then I will throw it under water and see where that gets me. Dammit, 7990's been selling like hot cakes, some smart cookie should bring out an aftermarket air cooler for this bahemouth! (Not going to happen I know :( )

Just double check with GPU-ID that you are putting the same voltage across both GPU's. Early versions of AB and Trixx didn't do this correctly even when sync'd and sometimes took several applies on the set button to make them even.

Last edited:
Query, the people with 7990 issues, what are your temps at idle? Also I'm interested in others for the hell of it :D

Mine is...

Idle

CPU1 - 42C and CPU2 - 38C

GPU1 - 45c and GPU2 - 36c

As for the guy who mentioned voltages, I have tried multiple things, synchronised and unsynchronised settings in Afterburner and manually set voltages, voltage control off in afterburner. I am trying to get control of the temps and make them closer to what they should be from stock settings. I have lowered the voltages before and I have to be honest, it didn't appear to make the biggest difference in the world.

In GPU Z, voltages are the same, they volt up and down in certain circumstances, but it all seems pretty even none the less.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom