• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official AMD 7990 Owners Thread ***

I still think there's something not right, flash Matt's BIOS to your card and try that one. It removes the "boost" feature which doesn't really work properly at all. I couldn't play BF4 or any other game until I did it.

So you couldnt play any game with a stock card? Due to what exactly? You sensitive to microstutter?

I find the differences in experiences remarkable. Some cant play games with stock cards. frame pacing off = smooth. There's some marked differences in cards that are all meant to be the same. Very odd.

Mine was best with install card and latest drivers. No ULPS off etc. Just plain old out of the box settings.

It's only the 7990 that is reference across all cards (maybe Devil 13).

Odd why they behave so different.

Under 8.1 I had real difficulty installing drivers. Still didnt suffer microstutter. Only one I found that allows me to install drivers successfully and in one attempt Is DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) which you need to execute in safemode.

Last edited:
Managed to get my fps's back upto where they used to be. I reinstalled the driver but instead of custom setting, used express.

I usually dont bother with gaming evolved app and to be honest IU cant see it installed this time after using the express setting.

Bf4 now, outside with large draw distance required, 64 man server nearly full, getting steady min 90, average 120 max 150. Doesnt drop below 90. Before I was average 80-90 and mins of 60.

Actually after installing under express settings I cant actually see the gaming evolved app still.....?????

Tried testing my max oc, seems I got a pretty duff card as usual :o Artifacts like crazy at 1150Mhz even with 1.3v :(
I guess I can't complain, I got it for a pretty decent price.

Last edited:
Matt has been called many things on these parts but JC!!

Actually thats an improvement from most things ive been called. Usually something along the lines of another name for a ladies front bottom. :D

The fact they're back upto £800 considering they were being sold for less than half that about 5 weeks ago. Probably the bargain of the last 5 years getting it for half price essentially. :D

Aye. Still can't believe anyone would pay £800 for one though.

Tried testing my max oc, seems I got a pretty duff card as usual :o Artifacts like crazy at 1150Mhz even with 1.3v :(
I guess I can't complain, I got it for a pretty decent price.

Same with me, I can't get above 1120/1125Mhz.

This disappointed me as on my 7970 I got well into the 1200's. Was hoping for the same from its younger but more powerful brother.

Same with me, I can't get above 1120/1125Mhz.

This disappointed me as on my 7970 I got well into the 1200's. Was hoping for the same from its younger but more powerful brother.

Never going to happen chaps with a monster like a 7990 or a 690. You'll need water cooling if you want extreme overclocks. The problem is you'll never keep temps low enough to avoid artifacts, at least on the 7990. 1100/1600 is more than enough tbh. I tend to run mine at stock when gaming just so i can benefit from the quiet auto fan settings. I can bench around 1150/1650 artifact free but id never game at these clocks. I can go higher with artifacts. Another thing to consider that often a 7990 at stock will match a 7970 ghz crossfire setup at stock despite being 50mhz slower on the core x2.

Last edited:
Never going to happen chaps with a monster like a 7990 or a 690. You'll need water cooling if you want extreme overclocks. The problem is you'll never keep temps low enough to avoid artifacts, at least on the 7990. 1100/1600 is more than enough tbh. I tend to run mine at stock when gaming just so i can benefit from the quiet auto fan settings. I can bench around 1150/1650 artifact free but id never game at these clocks. I can go higher with artifacts. Another thing to consider that often a 7990 at stock will match a 7970 ghz crossfire setup at stock despite being 50mhz slower on the core x2.

Yeah that makes sense, I suppose it was wishful thinking going into it. I can get to relatively the same overclock as you so that makes me happy. For gaming though I use stock settings with it undervolted.

I guess it is just the greediness of humans to want more power :D

Yeah that makes sense, I suppose it was wishful thinking going into it. I can get to relatively the same overclock as you so that makes me happy. For gaming though I use stock settings with it undervolted.

I guess it is just the greediness of humans to want more power :D

Yeah perfectly natural mate. The thing what annoys me is my memory is not stable at 1700. Infact i believe around 1625-1650 is my max for 24/7 on the memory which is quite low for Tahiti memory overclocks.

Back
Top Bottom