*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Been working in LA for a few weeks, popped into a barbicue store.....yeah we are only playing at in the kindergarten playground :)

Picked up a load of recommended rubs and a spangly kamado joe glove :)

Soldato
Short ribs are 25% off in Waitrose at the moment (£5.99/kg). The marbling is incredible for supermarket meat.

I'm smoking these at 225F for 3 hours, and then braising them in apple juice for another 3-4 hours today.

gvegUb9.jpg

Soldato
cheers for the heads up, I'll definitely pick some of those up. Can we have some after picks? When you say braising in apple juice, is that like poaching? What will the outside be like then?

Soldato
I didn't take any after pics :)mad:) but I think we have a few leftover so I'll try to.

Yeah, you just put them in a pan with some liquid after smoking for a few hours and then cover it tightly with foil. The bark wasn't hard but it was tasty. I'm not 100% convinced though that apple juice and beef go well together. I kinda wish I had tried beef stock instead, but I'll probably not braise them at all in the future.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Lord have mercy.....

Snagged a black Friday, Tomahawk steak from LIDL on well Friday :)

After cutting bone down so it would fit on the Joe Jnr, I decided for a first time reverse sear, with a basic pepper, garlic salt rub.

SFyt2lZ.jpg.png

8mv3SJZ.jpg.png

zw0ehKj.jpg.png

If you come across a steak this thick i highly recommend this method of cooking, was absolutely gob smackingly delicious, definite 5/5 on the NOM NOM NOM scales.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Lovely job! How much was the steak? How long did you give it for the pre-sear phase?

£15 for the steak as for the cook set the grill to 250f (ish) and just went for an internal temp of 120-125f, this took about 40mins then wrapped it in foil for 15mins until the grill came upto temp for the sear.

The sear could have been better tbh, but it was the last bits of the bag and the lumpwood was just small chunks, still worked ok but not as flaming as i wanted.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do any of you guys deep clean your BBQ's at any point?

Reason I ask is I'm probably not going to get to use my Weber Kettle until March time so will be stored in my shed over the winter. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to give it a really good deep clean, as in wash out all the charcoal ash etc and give it a full de-grease and clean in prep for next year, or wether just giving the grill a thorough clean and a quick wipe down would be enough?

Soldato

Reason I ask is I'm probably not going to get to use my Weber Kettle until March time so will be stored in my shed over the winter. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to give it a really good deep clean, as in wash out all the charcoal ash etc and give it a full de-grease and clean in prep for next year, or wether just giving the grill a thorough clean and a quick wipe down would be enough?
I encountered a fair bit of mould earlier this year when I opened my BBQ up for the first time in ~4 months. You'd think that would have made me do a deep clean this year, but somehow I'm yet to get round to it

Soldato

What wot? You not doing your turkey in yours?!

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Yes actually, well kinda..... A Turkey wont fit so the plan now is to get two Turkey crowns and cook them in the Anova (pre xmas gift to myself) and finish them off on the Joe Jnr all of course if i am allowed :)

Soldato
I encountered a fair bit of mould earlier this year when I opened my BBQ up for the first time in ~4 months. You'd think that would have made me do a deep clean this year, but somehow I'm yet to get round to it

It's not been used much this year as I only got it earlier in the year, judging by this a clean of the grill should be ok until I break it back out sometime in the new year.

What wot? You not doing your turkey in yours?!

I'm away over Christmas travelling to families so no need for me to cook this year :D

Soldato

Eww..

Before the first bbq of the year - a complete clean; even take A angle grinder to the metal to remove any rust, and reapply paint.
After each bbq the thing normally gets cleaned.

Back
Top Bottom