*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Smart, like it.

I find it amusing that my 8 year likes to try to fly my Huey.
BTW, the pedals arrived today. Really does make it easier to hover.

Soldato
I'm still using twisty joysick here. I'd love the rudder pedals, if only for developing the correct techiques and habits for some real world flying (you never know, right?;)), but I already have the G27 steering wheel pedals under the desk and having another pedal set would be too much :D
I was looking at some racing/flight sim rigs, but never saw one where both pedals are accommodated properly... :(

Associate
For your G27 pedals, have you tried this? Add both the pedals axis to the one rudder. Worked fine for me until I got a set of MFG Crosswind pedals.

Are the brake and throttle a combined axis or separate? I use the G25 clutch and throttle pedals for rudder, with the following settings;

Joy_Slider2
Deadzone: 5
Saturation X: 100
Saturation Y: 50
Curvature: 0

Slider

Joy_Y
Deadzone: 5
Saturation X: 100
Saturation Y: 50
Curvature: 0

Slider
Invert

And a Huey tip, lower the amount of fuel you're carrying. The lighter helicopter does make a difference while you're starting out.

Soldato
Gave it a go with the g27 pedals and cant really use that setup. The main problem being the area around centre position (where precision is most needed lol). When one pedal is pressed even ever so slightly ,the other one does not work properly, so you have to release the pedal 100% before pressing the other one. Not an issue on proper rudder pedals of course...

But anyway, I've upgraded my system and Nevada is runnign beautifully on all settings/draw distance set to absolute max and x8 AA. The lowest FPS is around 36 in one part of Vegas (not the city cnetre, there its around 45fps). Everywhere else on the map its way above 60fps of course. Fantastic!

Nice review by Froogle:

Last edited:
Associate
I've got DCS world and trying to get into it but I'm struggling with the russian on the instrument panels etc. Would be better to buy the individual 15C and A10 instead of the flaming cliffs 3 expansion to get aircraft that make sense?

Soldato
No, FC3 is the best package as you get both F15 and the A-10A as well as the Russian Mig29, Su25, Su27, Su33.

The russian birds have English cockpit mods, and are really worth having imo.
English pits for Su25 and Su25T http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=127158
For Su27: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/668738/?sphrase_id=1103198

Imo the language is not a problem as the switches are not clickable, you only need to use a few gauges, but, if needs must, the mods are there as an option.

You clearly did not play with Il2:1946's Jap fighter planes, and there were no English mods for them either ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers, will get FC3 and the english pits. I was just struggling when figuring out what settings i had things on.
lol nah i didn't only been flying hurricanes.
Got too used to flying a 737 on fsx i think

Soldato
Yeah FC3 is cool, kinda like the classic semi-arcade IL2 with modern jets and better physics.

If you're coming from FSX though, you may want to try the full fat simulation modules that have all the systems and procedures modelled.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
DCS still have some of their sale left. Added NTTR over the weekend and today and F15c. Just going to take it for a saunter around (in easy mode).

Update: The 15c looks lovely. Had to go back for another try with the Huey. Managed several almost vaguely OK landings. Must practice more...

Last edited:
Soldato
So I got my Oculus Rift today (https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18726269) and just started tinkering with DCS this evening.

It's fricking sorted guys!

I've had the Oculus DK2 working with DCS in the past, but it was mostly just for fun. Now, with the consumer launch of the Rift, I can finally recommend it to anyone that's want to sim the hell out of DCS with a HOTAS in hand.

While not perfect the resolution makes the cockpit instruments usable if you know what you're doing. I.e. you can read the numbers, but might not be able to make out the small print that says exactly what that dial is for unless you know what it says already.

Playing DCS in VR really is night and day compared to a monitor, tripple monitor or tripple monitor setup with track IR.

While I'd argue that there's still a place for a track IR setup for people that really want the high resolution visuals on full real (without labels) VR really does take it to another level. Not sure I'll ever play again without it :)

Right, going back in, laters!

Soldato
Thanks for the update dude, glad you're enjoying it!

Is the HUD imagery readable? That's my only concern before buying a rift, and how much of an improvement would you say the resolution is over the dk2?

Soldato
Thanks for the update dude, glad you're enjoying it!

Is the HUD imagery readable? That's my only concern before buying a rift, and how much of an improvement would you say the resolution is over the dk2?

Just tried the F15 and the P51.

F15 hud is perfectly readable as well as any digital display. Mechanical displays are easily understood but reading the small print in the middle is a challenge without knowing what it's meant to say (e.g. "Airspeed" or whatever). It's fine if you're familiar though.

P51 you can actually make out the gyro sight properly but again, since it's all mechanical gauges, understanding them is straight forward but reading small print is hard.

Without comparing side by side (DK2 packed away) and ignoring the hard and fast numbers with regards to the actual resolution I'd say:

The DK2 feels like 25% of the full resolution required to make VR perfect for realistic flying sims. If "perfect resolution" is 100% I'd say that the Oculus rift is 65%/75% of the way there as air targets are still only spot able at distance with labels on and that split second extra you need to read the HUD / gauges could mean life or death.

Consider how high the bar is set high though now that we're comparing against 4K monitors... To me if VR resolution matches the appearance of a 1080p monitor I'd say that's only 90% of the way there. It's only going to reach 100% for me when it's comparable to playing on a 4K screen.

Also, I assume since you asked how it compares against the DK2 you have one already? Immersion is second to none with the Rift. Playing some COOP last night the dog fight was fun but the bit that had me physically sweating was trying to land with no fuel. My previous 3 monitor / track ir setup just doesn't compare :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for that, yeah I've got the dk2 which is great but me buying cv1 was all dependant on how much of an improvement it was resolution wise. Judging by your impression I'll be buying it as the only reason I've held off is to see how people are enjoying it with dcs!

Soldato
How does the head tracking compared to TrackIR? Is there a significant delay between turning your head and the the picture reacting?

Soldato
It's getting harder and harder to put off buying the Oculus.....

Borsch it is supposed to be instant (milliseconds) other wise motion sickness is induced. This is the major reason why it took so long for workable VR to appear.

Nate

Soldato
How does the head tracking compared to TrackIR? Is there a significant delay between turning your head and the the picture reacting?

As other have said, it's instant. Sub 20ms movement to refreshing the display that you see in the headset.

TrackIR and the VR headsets are a whoooooooooole different ball game.

With TrackIR your always trading off precision with delay / deadzones. You're always wanting some sort of smoothing to stop the mico movements of your head translating into movements picked up by the sensor.

In VR, those micro movements are what make it feel real. The latency, for all intents and purposes, is non existent and every movement your head makes is instantly translated into movement in the game.

If you've not tried VR this might sound counter productive "why would you want ALL your movements picked up by the sensor?" - but it's exactly that kind of accuracy that makes modern VR so much better than the VR attempts in the 90's.

EDIT: Wee video showing how responsive it is. Consider that when I actually view the video in slowmotion on my iPhone there's a slight delay - but that's purely caused by "mirrored" display on the monitor not having the same priority as the headset itself.

Last edited:
Soldato
WOW :) I never thought it was that good tracking and latency wise. Hmm, I think I'll start reading up on VR gear, I was contemplating a monitor upgrade, but maybe a VR headset would be money better spent.

Soldato
WOW :) I never thought it was that good tracking and latency wise. Hmm, I think I'll start reading up on VR gear, I was contemplating a monitor upgrade, but maybe a VR headset would be money better spent.

One of the reasons VR has actually taken off this time is that they've solved the latency problem. So yeah, if you didn't know that you've got a LOT of catching up to do :)

Really, the two major problems that are still left are:

1) Perfecting the resolution - at the moment it's effectively like playing on a 720p monitor. We're not far off 1080p but everyone obviously want's 4K.

Remember the lenes magnify the screen so to get "4K equivalent" you're probably actually talking 6K... in stereo!

It's not just the hardware that's holding us back in this regards, it's the processing power to match it.

2) Real World Haptics - Ok, we've got controllers that give us vibration, and that's effectively the best we're going to get for a while (unless you count these guys http://tacticalhaptics.com/ which has some potential) but again everyone wants to put on gloves and "FEEL" the apple you hold in your hand. Or to be able to push against the wall that you see in front of you.

Racing simulators (6DOF movement rigs) combined with FFB wheels get almost 90% of the way there (if not more) for this restricted scenario. But the second you talk your hands off the wheel it's not as if you can feel the door next to you in the car.

That is a little further off :)

Back
Top Bottom