*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Soldato
Get a gameseat and a buttkicker for things to start getting crazy! Main problem for me is the damn vibrations throughout the house annoying the Mrs.

Soldato
One other thing that I forogt to ask: how good is depth/height perception in VR? Does it actually feel like 1 meter above ground? 20 meters? 100, 1000 etc ? Does it feel like flying? On the monitor it is quite difficult to judge altitude when coming in low (I always thaouhgt it was due to poor resolution scaling of the ground), is this still a problem in VR?

I see some people squirm and scream when trying roller-coaster in VR, but others just sort of stand there... Are there personal differences in how real VR feels?

Is DCS close to this ? :D
@0:55

Soldato
Bit hard to say mate, you get the sense that the ground is a fair distance away but I can't say I'd be able to fly close to pattern height or something just by judging the ground which I was pretty close to doing IRL.

On the other hand stuff like tanking is so much easier, on a screen in 1920x1080 it took me 3\4\5 attempts to get a probe contact and even more to hold it, but using dk2 it was usually first or second attempt making contact and holding purely due to the fact it's easier to judge distance and speed, there was definitely a noticeable feeling of 'closeness' to the tanker compared to the scenery in that respect too.

Ordered my cv1 yesterday too as I can't wait any longer

Soldato
Ok, cheers! Tanking is probably easier as with VR you have an equivalent to full field of view screen size (cant even think how big that is in monitor sizes at normal viewing distance- 150"?), deflection shooting should be easier for that reason as well...

However, depth perception is not just about screen size (you can still estimate RL heights even when looking through a keyhole), but more about how advanced the VR 3d rendering tricks are , because our brain uses a lot of cues from our 2d retinas for this and we can easily tell our altitude not just above highly textured bumpy ground in RL, but also above RL plain flat surfaces.

Very interesting time for flight sims though, that's for sure :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh it's going to be a groundbreaking few years that's for sure

Not sure exactly what trickery is used, but I do know that when I'm using it, I feel like I'm sat in a cockpit and that I could almost touch the dials, and the world feels significantly more real which is what I want for my £500. 5 years from now be headsets for simming will be normal without a doubt

Associate
Hello, looking to get back into DCS after an extended period away. I've been really impressed with what I've seen from 1.5/2.0 and especially the Rift. I've a couple of questions if anyone can help.

I currently have a sim racing setup with 3 screens, it's no problem to get the sim running across all 3 but having the monitors line up correctly is proving to be troublesome. I've had a bit of a google and tried adjust the config file

'viewDx = 0;
viewDy = 0;'

but although it changes the angle it adds more of the cockpit to each monitor, like a bad overlap. If what I've read is correct then DCS only likes a certain screen angle (90°?) and this can't be adjusted in any way? I'm giving serious consideration to a Rift now CV1 is out so perhaps later this wont be an issue, but for now should I just make do with 1 screen and TiR?

I have some high end pedals for sim racing, am I kidding myself that these would do for some flying? If considering flight pedals are the Crosswinds the ones to look at for price/performance or something like the CH pedals will be fine?

Thanks and see you in the skies when my stick lands! :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
Although it's expensive $49 seems fair for the scale and detail of the map. I do try and buy modules when on offer as they decrease so much.

Tried my luck on upgrading my order to include the Gazelle (if I paid the extra) but it was a firm No from support sadly.

Back
Top Bottom