*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Soldato
Not to mention a former employee of ED is in a Utah jail for trying to get his mitts on USAF aircraft flight manuals!
That are freely available to all US nationals on ebay :) Indeed, his crime was to ask an old texan pensioner/ED forum member to buy them on ebay and forward them to him, not unlike what we do when shopping for US exclusive stuff like the Samsung Odyssey VR and so on. Mad :)

Soldato
My personal issue is that it's made by Ugra, the group who made Normandy. You may have noticed that it wasn't mentioned for the VR enhancement. ED have seemingly washed their hands on the subject and stated that it's up to Ugra. Can't say I'm impressed.
Yeah, that doesn't sound like a good precedent. Israel-Syria map was high in my shopping list, but not so sure now as VR is all play.

Soldato
OP
Ugra were contracted to do Normandy ... which was abandoned
and if you notice ED forums they moved Ugra to their own sub forums .... to distance themselves maybe ?

Soldato
Ugra were contracted to do Normandy ... which was abandoned
and if you notice ED forums they moved Ugra to their own sub forums .... to distance themselves maybe ?

Yeah will be, just like the did with VEAO.

Distance themselves to prepare for failure, and quite rightly too. Quite like the way ED does business with these third party developers tbh

Soldato
To be fair, it could not be any other way. ED can't say "if 3rd party pulls support we will pick it up ourselves". You can't expect ED to develop the Hawk, the Harrier and so on - it's is not their area of expertise, not their code. Even with the maps, the code structure is likely sufficiently different. Thus is it left to the market to decide on the credibility of each of the 3rd party offerings...

Soldato
OP
To be fair, it could not be any other way. ED can't say "if 3rd party pulls support we will pick it up ourselves". You can't expect ED to develop the Hawk, the Harrier and so on - it's is not their area of expertise, not their code. Even with the maps, the code structure is likely sufficiently different. Thus is it left to the market to decide on the credibility of each of the 3rd party offerings...

Yeah but my point was ED contracted Ugra to make Normandy for ED (not the normal 3rd party developer type deal)
ED were getting a lot of flak about Normandy quite rightly so about how poor it is, so then the Ugra sub forum gets created

Soldato
Yeah but my point was ED contracted Ugra to make Normandy for ED (not the normal 3rd party developer type deal)
ED were getting a lot of flak about Normandy quite rightly so about how poor it is, so then the Ugra sub forum gets created
Ok, point taken. Subcontracting IS different. Although, perhaps ED would dispute this was subcontracting?.. At very least Ugra was mentioned from the get go, even during the (now long forgotten) Luthier's kickstarter debacle.
The forum entry may have also been more to do with the advent of the Israel-Syria map, seems strange to create an entry just for Normany after all these years without.
I do agree that their shop is not very organised with regards to 3rd party stuff, there are some statements like "The Heatblur Simulations F-14A/B Tomcat", "Normandy 1944 map created by UGRA-MEDIA company" and so on, but they are in random places of the text blurb, not easy to spot.

Soldato
Had a university project that I had to make something and I made this prototype for the Viggen navigation/data panel.
My lecturer was impressed so hopfully I get high marks lol. I will make a better version when I get time.
cp1.jpg

cp2.jpg

Soldato
Check this comment, as posted today by Wags:

Originally Posted by Wags
Hey everyone,

Earlier we mentioned that we have been working on DCS VR optimization. I have good news today! After much investigation and work, we traced the issue back to the terrain engine. We have since adjusted the terrain engine, and this has resulted in a 50% increase in VR performance! We will continue to test and optimize this further, but we hope to have this great improvement to you soon.
It was just terrible PR talk after all. Words can't describe my disappointment.

Last edited:
Associate
It was just terrible PR talk after all. Words can't describe my disappointment.
Yeah had some down time on dcs recently and was looking forward to this update to fire it up again. Been playing around with vr a bit over the last week or so. It does seem smoother to me but could just be placebo.

F15 viper does look cool though.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I have a VPC T50 with grip and a Throttle.
Both are the first versions of each type.

No, it's wasn't cheap, and there's already a mk3 version, which has now added some more buttons and an analogue stick.
I did have an issue with one of the boards, and VPC simply sent me a replacement board. Unscrewed the top plate, changed the cables and jobs a good un'.

In use, it really is MUCH more precise than my old CH unit (which suffered from jitter on the throttle axis), so it's massively easier to be precise during say A2A refueling.
The other buttons are nicely weighted and it has a lovely feel to it.

In short, I'm extremely happy with mine.

Associate
Soldato
Hooray for common sense prevailing in the end... F-16 manuals are still freely available to buy on ebay.com btw, nowadays ebay automatically offers international shipping through its own global shipping program :D https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-19...843166?hash=item443e59b75e:g:sg8AAOSwPOBc62st

According to your article, he'll be working at ED again starting this coming Monday- great news as he was/is one of their lead programmers/avionics engineers. Having read how long his ordeal lasted, the slow down in F/A-18 development seems related and should go back up to speed hopefully.

Last edited:
Associate
Could anyone recommend any noob friendly DLC aircraft ?

Been playing DCS for a few weeks, just trying to learn the basics with the Su-25. With the sale being on it feels like I should grab one of the high fidelity aircraft while they are half-price.

I was looking at the M-2000C, A-10C and AV-8B... but really not sure what the best option would be from all that's available. Just looking for something fun and easy(ish) to learn.

fwiw I use a Thrustmaster T.16000M and have a DelanClip tracker.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I found the Harrier relatively easy to learn and still love flying it.

The A10c is complex, dog slow and can’t conduct A2A, it is however cheap and has massive depth to it.

For all of the above, the F18. Its not even finished, but still has more features than most aircraft, is a joy to fly, can be used at night or from a carrier.
If you don’t mind the cost, then the F18, followed by the Harrier (IMO).

Soldato
Could anyone recommend any noob friendly DLC aircraft ?

Been playing DCS for a few weeks, just trying to learn the basics with the Su-25. With the sale being on it feels like I should grab one of the high fidelity aircraft while they are half-price.

I was looking at the M-2000C, A-10C and AV-8B... but really not sure what the best option would be from all that's available. Just looking for something fun and easy(ish) to learn.

fwiw I use a Thrustmaster T.16000M and have a DelanClip tracker.
FlamingCliffs3 with its simplified F-15C, Su-27/33, Mig-29, Su-25 and A-10A planes would be the most fun to begin with imo. With them you'll still enjoy same advanced aerodynamics model as the full fidelity modules, you'll also get to learn to operate radar, IR sensors and mavericks, learn to dogfight and deal with SAMs. It is plenty enough to learn and not having to worry about complex avionics of full fat modules makes learning the above less of a drudge. My vote is for FlamingCliffs3 and a nice scripted campaign by Baltic Dragon for FC3's F-15C. "F-15 C: The Georgian War: it's is called I seem to remember. It is kinda like Ace Combat with lots of acted dialogue, gentle learning curve, good plot and memorable setups with a few branching choices.

Otherwise, if you feel like diving into the deepend, go straight for the full fat A-10C: it's fully complete, next to no bugs and has tonnes of single player content.

Last but not least I'd also recommend getting voice attack, it's immersive and super useful for ordering stuff to AI without using the deep F keys menus.

Last edited:
Associate
A10 is amazing, but very slow, but if you can master it , every other aircraft is simple.

18 is the best all rounder at the moment, will be the goto when the TPOD drops.

Harrier......whats not to love, ground pound, more speed, Tpod, and vertical landings / takeoffs :D

Back
Top Bottom