1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by lurkio, May 13, 2013.

1. Borsch

Mobster

This probably won't be news to most people in the the thread, but Voice Attack control of radio in DCS is perfectly usable and super immersive. Particularly in VR. Saying "AWACS, picture" sure beats trying to feel the \ ,F7, F5 keys while squinting through Oculus nose slit :)

F-14 looks great too, shame it's full simulation only, I only just have enough time for FC3 stuff now :(

2. BRIGGBOY81

Hitman

Yeah she is awesome dude, they really have hit it out the park and there is just little things that give it that 80s feel/swagger ie the in cockpit walkman

3. lurkio

Mobster

You might want to skip todays beta patch it breaks clicking on the map and you have to restart DCS

4. Mr_Sukebe

Man of Honour

??
    I assume that only affects some users, as I was merrily flying last night after the patch.

5. lurkio

Mobster

if you go to F10 map view, click add marker, then try to enter any text in the marker, you have to Alt + Tab
    then then kill DCS as it will lock up

Also lots of crashes being reported to do with the F-14

6. Borsch

Mobster

Guns only dogfight F-14B vs Su-33:

7. Mr_Sukebe

Man of Honour

I’ve had none whilst flying my F14.
    Good spot on the map marker. Only really affects the Viggen, but worth knowing.

8. lurkio

Mobster

9. Mr_Sukebe

Man of Honour

10. BRIGGBOY81

Hitman

just a nice pussy :D
    [​IMG]

11. Mr_Sukebe

Man of Honour

Check this comment, as posted today by Wags:

Originally Posted by Wags [​IMG]
    Hey everyone,

Earlier we mentioned that we have been working on DCS VR optimization. I have good news today! After much investigation and work, we traced the issue back to the terrain engine. We have since adjusted the terrain engine, and this has resulted in a 50% increase in VR performance! We will continue to test and optimize this further, but we hope to have this great improvement to you soon.

12. kevman

Gangster

HFS! this is good news

13. Boycey0211

Soldato

great news, VR was a bit of a dog for me on a 970. Fingers crossed this makes it a bit better

14. lurkio

Mobster

HEADS UP guys, there is a DCS sale on right now

[​IMG]

15. lurkio

Mobster

16. lurkio

Mobster

Last edited: May 10, 2019
  17. [Death]

Wise Guy

not for me, ill be keeping my warthog with nipple upgrade from ed forums, do have the virpil warbrd base with warthog stick tho, It is way more precise. could never go back to the warthog base now

18. Mr_Sukebe

Man of Honour

It's been an interesting few weeks.
    The I16 Octopus has arrived. Early war WW2 warbird. Apparently very charismatic, but an odd choice, as it was outclassed by a 109 "E", don't mind about the 109 K that we currently have.
    The FW190 A8 is due in the next 2 weeks. From what I've read, a slightly slower D9 (particularly at altitude), but with better turn capability.
    I can't say either of the above really excite me.

The F16 has been announced and is available for pre-order, with an expected delivery in what appears to be September (this year). That does excite me, so my paypal account has already been debited.

ED have stated that they have a new VR enhancement inbound, and it sounds like we'll get it either this week or next, with a suggested 50% improvement in frame rate. That IS big news. They've stated that initially the enhancement will be released for the Caucasus and Gulf, with NTTR following on.
    As I received my Rift S last week, that's ace news.

Talking of the Rift S, yes, it really is much sharper in DCS. No, it's not even close to "retinal resolution", but it does made reading gauges and similar much easier and when using the same settings, doesn't seem to have taken any genuine hit to performance.

The planned Syria map was shown off with the F16 video. Looks good. My personal issue is that it's made by Ugra, the group who made Normandy. You may have noticed that it wasn't mentioned for the VR enhancement. ED have seemingly washed their hands on the subject and stated that it's up to Ugra. Can't say I'm impressed.

ED have announced a new carrier will be incoming. Heatblur are already making one for general use by anyone, as a bonus from the F14. The ED carrier will be additional, and apparently it's going to be a good deal more advanced, with deck crew, better controls, specific viewing positions etc. On a positive note, they've decided last week that this won't be an "asset" that if installed on a multiplayer server will require all server joiners to have, though it does look like they'll stop players landing or taking off from it unless they own it (which makes sense).

In addition to the above, this year we're supposedly getting the Mosquito, P47, the Falklands map, and 2 free maps.
    Exciting times...

For anyone interested, I was browsing through the open multiplayer server list last night and couldn't help but notice that most are aimed at the "typical" player, i.e. Caucasus map, good weather etc. That makes perfect sense as after all, if you want good numbers to join your server, hit the easy market.
    What did strike me was that there were few catering for the slightly more nuts players. As such, on the 631 Squadron server this week, I'll be running a night time scenario set in the Persian Gulf. It's definitely a different challenge. I was out in my F14, F18 and Ka50 last night and plan to work my way through several more "night capable" aircraft this week during the evening, including the A10C, Harrier and the Gazelle (i think that has night vision capability). The server will be running most evening's this week it you want to take a look.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  19. miller745

Hitman

Not to mention a former employee of ED is in a Utah jail for trying to get his mitts on USAF aircraft flight manuals!

20. Borsch

Mobster

That are freely available to all US nationals on ebay :) Indeed, his crime was to ask an old texan pensioner/ED forum member to buy them on ebay and forward them to him, not unlike what we do when shopping for US exclusive stuff like the Samsung Odyssey VR and so on. Mad :)