*** Official DCS World Thread ***

Soldato
Both look nice, but the Virpil ones really catch my eye. A bit more money than I'm looking to spend. However, going by my current form, I'd probably be better off just buying quality than buying cheap, as no doubt i'll just end up buying a more expensive set in the end anyway...
I'll definitely need Rudder control ... dammit, this is just as deep a pit as sim racing!!!:cry:

If you have a Racing sim set up you can set up your racing pedals as rudders. using the clutch and accelerator bound together as a rudder axis and the brake as a wheel brake.

Google it, while its not ideal (the pedals obviously aren't on a bar/pully) it works and saves you money and you just need to remember to only press one pedal at a time.

Soldato
If you have a Racing sim set up you can set up your racing pedals as rudders. using the clutch and accelerator bound together as a rudder axis and the brake as a wheel brake.

Google it, while its not ideal (the pedals obviously aren't on a bar/pully) it works and saves you money and you just need to remember to only press one pedal at a time.
Interesting concept, whilst I'll most likely end up buying a proper Rudder setup that solution may indeed sufice in the short-term until I decide which rudder setup to get, as I believe the Warthog donst have twist stick.

Soldato
Damn it... I have ZERO impulse control...

TM Warthog HOTAS inbound, I couldnt help myself, I've been bitten by the bug, this is gonna end up spiraling out of control:rolleyes: Already eying up the F/A18c stick for it and a set of rudder pedals (Not the TM ones, at the moment at least, way too pricey:eek:).
Any suggestions for this? As nice as the TM ones are, I just cant justify £400+, will probably seek out something like a set of logitech G pro rudder pedals.

Starting to get a feel for it F18, Still sucking hard when it comes to close in dogfighting, I'll last a turn or two before being turned inside out...:cry:
What’s your airspeed in the turn? Optimum hornet turn speed is around 400-450 knots.

Soldato
What’s your airspeed in the turn? Optimum hornet turn speed is around 400-450 knots.
I've usually been initiating the turn at that sort of speed or slightly higher. However, where I think I'm struggling is to maintain it. It'll come with practice no doubt.

TM Warthog setup and configured, rudder(race sim pedals) also setup, easier than I thought, and it was done natively in DCS, no messing about with VJoy or the likes.
The X52 is by no means a bad HOTAS, but JEEZ!!! What a difference! The feel and control I have with the TM Warthog is on another planet. The stiffer/heavier feel on the stick makes the fine control and manouvre so much easier. On top of that the button layout and configuration is so much easier to work with. I'm so glad I made the upgrade:D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
DCS summer sale now on.

Additionally, Tacview is on sale. If you haven’t got it already, is extremely useful for improving your understanding of how to engage other aircraft and avoid being shot down by SAM

Associate
Most people I fly with are using 32Gb memory happily on Syria.
You can always do the 2 week trial and see how you get on with it before purchase.

Cheers for this, I'd forgotten I had the option of the 2 week trials as I run the stand alone version, not the steam version.
I will use this option next weekend.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Anyone tried the Mirage F1? tempted to buy it or wait for the F4.....

Yep, I have the F1. As you can probably expect, it's a simplified Mirage 2000, without the INS, a really basic radar, worse weapons and no fly-by-wire.
In short, it requires a different mindset to use well. I like it. More characterful than say the Mig19, actually fairly easy to learn the cold start on, but will take some time to really learn in depth. I'm a fan.

Soldato
Yep, I have the F1. As you can probably expect, it's a simplified Mirage 2000, without the INS, a really basic radar, worse weapons and no fly-by-wire.
In short, it requires a different mindset to use well. I like it. More characterful than say the Mig19, actually fairly easy to learn the cold start on, but will take some time to really learn in depth. I'm a fan.

Might purchase it I'm a fan of Dassault, but I should really learn the Mig-21 before buying another cold war plane.

Soldato
This game is really hard to learn I've been trying the geet into this but theirs loafs of days if learning the aircraft I have the thrustmaster warthog stick it's great throttle and quality are unbelievable..

Associate
I started with one of the low fidelity aircraft(A-10A) so you don't have 1000 buttons/nobs to worry about, now learning the KA-50, also all aircraft have an option to auto power up/down as doing that everytime bored the pants off me.
Also have a look on the DCS website there is LOADS of downloadable user content including training missions. There is a fantastic set for the A-10A with voice overs and they really helped me learn it and also the game in general.
This guy streams on twitch and the first time in the stream he takes an aircraft out he goes through the whole startup, how it works, how to fly etc and is fab at answering questions in chat.

Associate
This game is really hard to learn I've been trying the geet into this but theirs loafs of days if learning the aircraft I have the thrustmaster warthog stick it's great throttle and quality are unbelievable..

I just use the mission planner to make specific tasks/missions to learn/practice the aircraft. (simple ones)

If you think the warthog stick is good, wait till you try the Winwing F16ex, 42 buttons on just the grip....unbelievable joystick for the price and up there with the best you can buy.

Soldato
I just use the mission planner to make specific tasks/missions to learn/practice the aircraft. (simple ones)

If you think the warthog stick is good, wait till you try the Winwing F16ex, 42 buttons on just the grip....unbelievable joystick for the price and up there with the best you can buy.

Did you get the F-16 throttle with it? I was about to buy one but after the shipping costs and tax might just go for virpil.

Associate
Did you get the F-16 throttle with it? I was about to buy one but after the shipping costs and tax might just go for virpil.

I went with the F18 Throttle with the F16 stick for its button count. Love them both, the f16 stick puts my metal gimbaled VKB stick to shame, way smother and no centre play at all, single cam V dual cams on the Winwing

3 orders from Winwing, not been hit by any import duty, I hear with Virpil you get stung with import duty.

Might pay you to wait a while as the Pound has taken a big dump + the paypal exchange rate will hit you.

If you wait till its back up to 1.25 to the $, after paypal it will be 1.20 to the US dollar.

Soldato
I went with the F18 Throttle with the F16 stick for its button count. Love them both, the f16 stick puts my metal gimbaled VKB stick to shame, way smother and no centre play at all, single cam V dual cams on the Winwing

3 orders from Winwing, not been hit by any import duty, I hear with Virpil you get stung with import duty.

Might pay you to wait a while as the Pound has taken a big dump + the paypal exchange rate will hit you.

If you wait till its back up to 1.25 to the $, after paypal it will be 1.20 to the US dollar.
No import tax? I always get hit by it :( I might just wait I a bit then always wanted a F-16 style throttle happy with my warthog throttle for now.

Back
Top Bottom