*** Official Dota 2 Thread ***

So I gave this a go earlier tonight for the first time ever... I've watched a few LoL commentaries before so at least had a very basic idea of what was going on but yeah - it's tough!

I did the tutorials first and then jumped into a game along with a friend where we played with just us two and (medium) bots, and at times struggled even with that (highly dependent on what heroes we chose it seems).

Anyone got any tips on what to do to learn the ropes?

So I gave this a go earlier tonight for the first time ever... I've watched a few LoL commentaries before so at least had a very basic idea of what was going on but yeah - it's tough!

I did the tutorials first and then jumped into a game along with a friend where we played with just us two and (medium) bots, and at times struggled even with that (highly dependent on what heroes we chose it seems).

Anyone got any tips on what to do to learn the ropes?

Just play a few games with someone that already knows how to play and is willing to explain as you go. You can pick up the basics within a couple of games with some decent explanation and then its just a case of practicing with the various heroes.

Play in the limited heroes pool makes life easier.

Thanks guys appreciate it... I read the "Welcome, you suck" thing and it makes a lot of sense... then I spent a while longer this morning playing some of the extended training modes (like the "practice getting last hits/denys" and that type of stuff)...

A few more proper rounds against bots and I might just about be ready to have a go in a proper online game without getting shouted at too badly...

That and you won't know all the heroes abilities. You will find yourself running away from AOEs that are actually friendly or being hexed and not having a clue what's going on lol.

They need to block Russian IP's from the west europe server, seriously I can't handle it anymore it infuriates me.

It's a team game and when 3 of the team don't even speak your language I don't know what youre supposed to do.

No teamwork, no communication other than angry Russians pinging everything like they are dolphins, seriously I can't handle this anymore.

I never said I was expecting to not get shouted at... that just seems to be the way of things with this game/genre, but frankly that's the price you pay for something so heavily teamwork based I guess

Wish they would introduce a sub for people who want it, would love to be able to play with people who aren't retarded and actually care about winning a game. I know, I know pubs are bad but still none window kickers would be nice.

So disheartening

Was watching that Russian called dexter streaming. He specifically chooses to play eu west eng servers (ranked) he was laggy as **** and then ended up abandoning the game. Pretty frustrating to watch and he was abusive in game also. Not surprising when I checked his stream today he was globally muted for his language to other players.

Last edited:
9 game losing streak at the moment, very frustrating because I've actually played pretty well in over half of them. Had a variety of bad teams though. Last match last night we got 5 early kills on bottom lane then we had a Viper who went and sat in the fountain after 6 mins and a Lifestealer who ended up 1-6 or something stupid :( Worst game was when I was Skywrath Mage, had the standard pub game problem of people not understanding if you don't have late game carries then you need to push to finish or you'll lose. We got them down to T3's fairly quickly and then the team just wouldn't push.

I had an 11 game loosing streak last month. Its pretty depressing when you do well but still loose but i am on the up again (thank god) so i wouldn't worry as it does happen.

I do have a question regrading micro of some heroes, Lone Druid, Warlock etc. How do some of you manage to switch between main hero and pet? I have seen people do it very well and i presume they toggle using a key bind of some sort but when i use these heroes i just have to click or drag a box around to select but i would ideally like to have a quicker/easier/alternative way to do this. Any tips or advise would be helpful :)

I had an 11 game loosing streak last month. Its pretty depressing when you do well but still loose but i am on the up again (thank god) so i wouldn't worry as it does happen.

I do have a question regrading micro of some heroes, Lone Druid, Warlock etc. How do some of you manage to switch between main hero and pet? I have seen people do it very well and i presume they toggle using a key bind of some sort but when i use these heroes i just have to click or drag a box around to select but i would ideally like to have a quicker/easier/alternative way to do this. Any tips or advise would be helpful :)

i just hit tab to switch between em

i just hit tab to switch between em

I set hot key control groups for the hero and other for the pets or a combination of both. I haven't played in a while so i've actually forgotten how you do it without being in a game, but i think its just CTRL + 1, CTRL + 2 etc to set the group.

So generally have 1 as hero, 2 as pet, 3 as both. The control groups are persistant throughout games aswell so you only have to set it once and they are character specific. Very handy.

EDit: Quoted wrong guy, ah well you know what i mean!

I've played around 100 games as Lone Druid now and I find it best to use 1 for hero, 2 for bear and 3 for both. I used to have my hero set to C but I spent a few days changing my keybinds so that I could get used to 1 for my hero.

I also use the same layout for heroes such as Furion, Invoker, Visage, Manta style, etc

I still have most of my items slots set to 2,3,4 so might need to change the binding around but what Greenja and you have said Murray does make sense and probably what i need to try, im not that great with the micro heroes especially Visage but would like to at least try and get good at one.

Back
Top Bottom