**** Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Soldato
Really? I'll have to check that out and see what changes there are.

Yup, it's pretty drastic in certain scenarios. This is medium vs. ultra (ultra is not that different from high):

http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...teractive-comparison-001-ultra-vs-medium.html

Regarding those mods, installation is pretty straightforward, you just have to drop some files into the Data folder in the install directory and add a short entry to one of the lines in the .ini to make the game read those files:) Though, I understand not wanting to mess anything up when you're far into the game.

There are some phenomenal looking mods but I don't think my 970 is up to scratch if it sometimes struggles with vanilla:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzxLNA47tpY

Caporegime
Yup, it's pretty drastic in certain scenarios.

I see what you mean. Earlier on, I tried increasing the shadow distance to ultra from medium and although I saw a definite performance hit, it wasn't too bad at all - though it was only a quick test. I'll have to try it out for a longer period.

Regarding those mods, installation is pretty straightforward, you just have to drop some files into the Data folder in the install directory and add a short entry to one of the lines in the .ini to make the game read those files:) Though, I understand not wanting to mess anything up when you're far into the game.

I did in fact just install the seemingly popular lowered weapon mod (or whatever it's called), which is all right. Where that mod is concerned, I don't mind the look in either case, on or off. I'll probably keep it, though.

There are some phenomenal looking mods but I don't think my 970 is up to scratch if it sometimes struggles with vanilla:(

Possibly more a lack of game optimization than your card. That video you posted looked pretty good. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Bought an Xbox one last year just to be ready for fallout 4 (big mistake!) the frame rate in combat is awful and feels so laggy.
Don't want to dish out a load of money to get it on PC too though, I've already paid for the Xbox, game and DLC pass. Pretty annoyed.

Automatron was surprisingly cool but the poor quality around combat makes enjoying big fight scenes difficult.

Last edited:
Soldato
The YouTube video above looks truly awful IMO, very bright and washed out, god rays should always be turned off really to get some contrast and give a huge fps boost.

You should check out the Fallout 4 mods thread, though its not updated so much right now.

There are a lot of mods out there to optimize the default textures and this allows you to add a few visual bells and whistles ( ENB ) without losing any fps. Try all Vivids mods, http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1400/?

When you get a good ENB with strong contrast it makes up for turning the shadows down to medium as that really is a killer of fps.

Some shots here http://imgur.com/a/i2RXE . Ive lowered the bloom a little since taking those shots. All those shot are with medium shadows.

If you want my ENB setup which is a mix of 2 that are out there gimme a shout through trust and I will send you a Dropbox link. You can just drop the files in the zip into your fallout 4 folder. :)

Soldato
Thanks for the offer, I'll bear it in mind. :)

Those shots also look nice, I've always liked heavy contrasts like that.

I just watched your youtube vid of fallout 4, funnily enough my last screenshot is in the area of the start of your video, looks much better on my screenshot, give it a go. It doesn't overwrite any files, and if it runs bad you can just delete them. :)

The pm enb offer is for anyone btw :)

Soldato
The YouTube video above looks truly awful IMO, very bright and washed out, god rays should always be turned off really to get some contrast and give a huge fps boost.

You should check out the Fallout 4 mods thread, though its not updated so much right now.

There are a lot of mods out there to optimize the default textures and this allows you to add a few visual bells and whistles ( ENB ) without losing any fps. Try all Vivids mods, http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1400/?

When you get a good ENB with strong contrast it makes up for turning the shadows down to medium as that really is a killer of fps.

Some shots here http://imgur.com/a/i2RXE . Ive lowered the bloom a little since taking those shots. All those shot are with medium shadows.

If you want my ENB setup which is a mix of 2 that are out there gimme a shout through trust and I will send you a Dropbox link. You can just drop the files in the zip into your fallout 4 folder. :)

Textures are practically always vram limited so if you're in the clear in that regard (which I suppose you are with a 980Ti) you won't get any fps increase through tinkering with mods.

Nice shots but I think no amount of contrast will be able to alleviate the loss of quality demonstrated in the comparison below:

http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...teractive-comparison-001-ultra-vs-medium.html

It'd be better to edit the .ini file and set the distance manually to around 7000 and shadow split to 2 instead of sticking with the default medium values which look utterly crap at times.

Nevertheless, I'd still like to try your ENB if it's not a problem:)

EDIT: Though, I suppose it might destroy my 970 even with shadows on medium;p

Last edited:
Caporegime
I just watched your youtube vid of fallout 4

Which one? I wouldn't bother with the early ones as they were done with Windows Movie Maker. :D Something like the #mid twenties onwards should look more respectable.

It seems I might be able to live with the fps hit associated with increasing shadow distance. On the odd occasion I've noticed it dropping as low as the 30s, but most of the time I'm seeing much higher - with little in the way of lag / stutter to take me out of the experience.

Edit : ^^ scrap that. I'll have to try high instead of ultra as I'm now seeing the frames drop more frequently and even lower. :/

@ Amatsubu - I've installed the cloud / fog mod you suggested, even though I said I wouldn't. :D I'll also add the terrain one as well that you linked. Looks pretty good. :)

@ Devious - trust sent. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Another bit of advice for playing the robot DLC:

The robots you encounter are far tougher than in the base game, such that even my pretty much maxed melee character was struggling. Some of the types do a mini nuclear explosion on death which takes the player out in any sort of proximity. I've had to back off the DLC plot in order to start building my gun perks as ranged combat is the preferred option.

Soldato
@ Amatsubu - I've installed the cloud / fog mod you suggested, even though I said I wouldn't. :D I'll also add the terrain one as well that you linked. Looks pretty good. :)

Nice:D The environment overhaul really makes a visible difference without any sort of performance hit. You can also try the one Devious linked, also heard good things about it. They look pretty similar, though:p

Regarding shadow distance, I get drops even on medium and they're not that much less severe than on high so I might as well stick with high and live with 45 fps when running through dense environments. The optimisation is pathetic. I'd have to run everything on low on a 970@1500mhz to get constant 60fps by the looks of it:rolleyes:

Devious, dropped you a trust as well;)

Soldato
Which one? I wouldn't bother with the early ones as they were done with Windows Movie Maker. :D Something like the #mid twenties onwards should look more respectable.

It seems I might be able to live with the fps hit associated with increasing shadow distance. On the odd occasion I've noticed it dropping as low as the 30s, but most of the time I'm seeing much higher - with little in the way of lag / stutter to take me out of the experience.

Edit : ^^ scrap that. I'll have to try high instead of ultra as I'm now seeing the frames drop more frequently and even lower. :/

@ Devious - trust sent. :)

It was Part 26.

Ive emailed you a link to the files :)

btw Which could / fog mod have you installed? wondering whether it may clash with my files.

Last edited:
Soldato
Textures are practically always vram limited so if you're in the clear in that regard (which I suppose you are with a 980Ti) you won't get any fps increase through tinkering with mods.

Nice shots but I think no amount of contrast will be able to alleviate the loss of quality demonstrated in the comparison below:

Nevertheless, I'd still like to try your ENB if it's not a problem:)

EDIT: Though, I suppose it might destroy my 970 even with shadows on medium;p

Medium does look a lot worse when you compare it like that, but when you have had it on medium for a while you forget and I just drool and the enb visuals anyway.

Devious, dropped you a trust as well;)

Nothing has come through ;)

Caporegime
Do I just add the contents of the mod file to the data file in FO4 and overwrite anything when asked?

^^ Ignore, I've just seen the vogue enb readme. I'll give it a shot.

Last edited:
Soldato
Drop the lot into steamapps\common\Fallout 4 NOT the data folder.

I don't believe it should overwrite anything unless you have used an ENB/Reshade before.

Caporegime
Drop the lot into steamapps\common\Fallout 4 NOT the data folder.

I don't believe it should overwrite anything unless you have used an ENB/Reshade before.

I think it's worked all right, here's a quick shot - not the best example to show the improvements but it certainly looks different :) :

2mw9x89.png

Last edited:
Soldato
It does look like its working, shift + F12 toggles the effect. night time is darker than default, Initially it was too dark for me so i tweaked the settings to make it less so.

Any sunny day screens? :)

Has it affected your FPS at all? Out of interest did it overwrite any files?

Back
Top Bottom