**** Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Soldato
I liked the shed in the town where they were eating passers by. When I came out to the townspeople surrounding me that did make me jump! :p

That reminds me of a time I was playing Fallout 3 with a friend, and he shrieked when a Mirelurk got the jump on him as he turned into it. It must have been stalking him for an hour or so.

I said entertainment value had diminishing returns. Gaming time is gaming time.

But when posed with the question of if you'd pay £200 for a game that would see you in excess of 200 hours, you started talking about diminishing returns.

But your latest post contradicts that.

Associate
But when posed with the question of if you'd pay £200 for a game that would see you in excess of 200 hours, you started talking about diminishing returns.

But your latest post contradicts that.

Clearly mentioned in the post...

Obviously it's not as linear as you suggest, there must be diminishing returns. I am merely pricing time spent being entertained. A cinema ticket is £15 these days...

was pricing based on entertainment.

If you’re insistent on being pedantic, game time would be a unit of measurement whereas entertainment value wouldn’t have a definitive magnitude of quantity. Entertainment value might fluctuate, perhaps based on factors outside of the activities control, or perhaps because the game in question had been played an excessive amount.

This conversation is utterly ridiculous anyway. If you don’t understand my point regarding the reservation to spend £30 on a computer game we’ve been waiting six years for and which could quite possible provide months of entertainment value, then fair enough, but we see things very differently.

Caporegime
OP
Time to move the discussion along I think? :)

What are you hoping has been added/removed/improved compared to Fallout 3/NV?

Not including graphical quality. :rolleyes:

I think some rare enemies wouldn't go amiss, perhaps a type of enemy which travels on the ceiling... An overhaul or removal of VATS, and better custom weapon creation (or scrap it)

Last edited:
Judging by the wall of the workshop in the trailer, I'd say it's fairly safe to assume that we're going to be getting customisable weapons and armour.

Gun Runner's Arsenal bought that to NV for weapons, which was an awesome little add on so hopefully they'll make a big point about integrating it into the levelling system this time around.

14th can't come soon enough, be good to get some solid information on this. Hopefully I'll have got "I don't want to set the world on fire" out of my head by then, driving me crazy lol.

Soldato
If you value your gaming time at £1 an hour, then sure?

Nah man, £39.99 is a stretch on PC but it's worth it for a good game, which I'm confident FO4 will be, but charging console prices when there are no licence fees involved is just plain dodgy. Nevermind though, it can be found cheaper from key sites, but I'd honestly rather not use them for games I love, as it doesn't support the developer as much but we gotta do what we gotta do. :mad:

It wouldn't be anything special if it's true, really. What they said is that it'd play like the PS2/Xbox Brotherhood of Steel game.

That essentially means it'd be the same, just with a top down isometric camera angle.

They didn't actually mention turn based directly, as I don't think the BoS game was actually turn based.

Meh, I'd love it if it was like the old Fallout but if it isn't turn based gimmie FPS :D

Would be nice if they let Obsidian play with a new engine and give them time to create a spin off Fallout that's like a modern FO1/2. RIP Van Buren. :(

Pretty sure Interplay are still about (though doing what IDK) with whatever staff that didn't go to Obsidian left, they could help too, but that's just dreaming really.

Soldato

I think some rare enemies wouldn't go amiss, perhaps a type of enemy which travels on the ceiling... An overhaul or removal of VATS, and better custom weapon creation (or scrap it)

i would love to see a real life type mode which is much harder than hardcore mode.

No vats
realistic food,drink and sleep cycles,
getting robbed in the night
if you get shot in the head you die unless wearing a armoured helmet
better crafting system involving world objects
better physics and not over exaggerated ragdoll

thats just a few

Soldato

Shooting through windows!!

Caporegime
OP
You can't get rid of over exaggerated rag-doll! That is something which gives Fallout character! :p

Get whacked by a deathclaw and rag-doll over a small town, or get shot to death with bullets and be thrust backwards violently like you got shot with a cannon!

Shooting through windows!!

That would probably just end up making the game a bit inconsistent, as most buildings will contain a new area and require a transition, so you would only be able to shoot through the windows of smaller buildings/ruins. And most of the windows in those places are blown out anyway.

Last edited:
Soldato

I'm really hoping a drop in, drop out co op mode that doesn't impact the story is added. I think it would add immensely to the experience being able to play it with someone that acts as a companion. I managed to have a rabble of companions with me in Fallout 3 from quests that I just didn't complete, to make sure they stayed with me. :D

Man of Honour
Nah man, £39.99 is a stretch on PC but it's worth it for a good game, which I'm confident FO4 will be, but charging console prices when there are no licence fees involved is just plain dodgy. Nevermind though, it can be found cheaper from key sites, but I'd honestly rather not use them for games I love, as it doesn't support the developer as much but we gotta do what we gotta do

There may not be a licence fee to pay to the platform holder, but since this is a Steam release then 30% of the sale price goes to Valve. Which is probably slightly more than developers pay in licence fees to console platform holders.

Soldato
For me,

A few things I'd like..

Sandstorms which impede vision (yourself & enemies) - people seeking cover from the elements.
NPC's actually doings, hunting, farming killing, talking etc.
Weather effects along with the detailed day night cycle.
Requirement to eat, drink & sleep.
Some form of abode to store gear. (this looks likely).
Vastly improved crafting & customisation.
Faction town ownership (can change).
Vastly different skill trees (companion/pet, hunter, robotics, melee, ranged, bounty hunter etc)
More indepth side quests.

Soldato
There may not be a licence fee to pay to the platform holder, but since this is a Steam release then 30% of the sale price goes to Valve. Which is probably slightly more than developers pay in licence fees to console platform holders.

Whilst 30% is more than likely more than the console licensing fees, overall it's still a much better deal than usual.

Because you have to bare in mind that developers have to pay licensing fees, pressing costs, packaging costs, distribution costs and then sell it to shops at a price that still leaves the shop making a profit.

70% is a lot more than they get with hard copies, significantly more. That's also on the basis that a publisher or developer as big as Bethesda are even paying 30%, I would say it's actually unlikely that they're paying that due to the volume they'll be moving through Steam.

Man of Honour
Same can be said for console games.

Most games can be bought digitally or in disk format nowadays across all gaming platforms.

Not that it matters either way, I was merely pointing out that while there may not be a licence fee for PC games, there are still other costs equivalent to console games.

Back
Top Bottom