**** Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Soldato
They don't, but they sell physical copies of PC games as well.

So all the same costs associated with consoles games applies to PC games. Apart from the licence fee paid to console platform holders. This cost for PC games is in the form of the fees paid to Steam in the vast majority of PC game releases. Definitely in the case of Fallout 4. So the poster who claimed the PC version of this game should be cheaper than the console version, because there's no licence fee, was mistaken to think that similar costs didn't apply to the PC version. Hence its similar price to the console version.

Doesn't matter though, they'll all take a similar cut regardless of the outlet, with Microsoft/Sony taking another cut, but only on consoles. There is a very good reason that games are usually a flat £10 less on PC compared to consoles, it's just a fact pal. :D

Man of Honour
Fallout 4 on PC costs as much as the console version according to a previous poster.

His reckoning was that it should be cheaper on PC because there isn't a licence fee to pay to the console platform holder.

I pointed out that, although the PC version won't be subject to a licence fee, as a Steamworks game it will attract fees that will be paid to Valve. Steam fees are around 30%, which is probably around same as licence fees paid to console platform holders.

All the other costs in the price of the game are the same for all physical copies no matter what platform. Console and PC disks all have manufacturing costs, distribution costs, retailer costs, etc.

Soldato
I was disappointed when New Vegas turned out to be dx9 just like fallout 3, even though I'm sure dx10 games such as bioshock had been out for some time.

Of course I played it through and it was enjoyable enough but it seemed like a massive dlc for fallout 3 and nothing more.

Soldato
Fallout 4 on PC costs as much as the console version according to a previous poster.

His reckoning was that it should be cheaper on PC because there isn't a licence fee to pay to the console platform holder.

I pointed out that, although the PC version won't be subject to a licence fee, as a Steamworks game it will attract fees that will be paid to Valve. Steam fees are around 30%, which is probably around same as licence fees paid to console platform holders.

All the other costs in the price of the game are the same for all physical copies no matter what platform. Console and PC disks all have manufacturing costs, distribution costs, retailer costs, etc.

I'm not seeing your logic here, you're not taking into account that to buy from Steam itself has Steam's cut and nothing else, that's it, the only thing Bethesda loses is to Steam. When consoles are majority bought on disc and not digital, Bethesda has to pay a licence fee, storage, delivery, and then a cut to the retailer that sells the discs. The retailer alone will be taking 30% and then you have 20% licence fee ramping it up and god knows what else.

Point is, the majority of PC games, especially digital are cheaper than console games, because they can make a similar net return per unit from a £40 PC game on Steam as they can a £55 console game off the shelves. Now looking at Fallout 4, they'll be milking the PC userbase unnecessarily, unless Fallout 4 has some contrived b/s going on with Valve that makes Valve take an extra tenner for funsies?

Soldato
Bethesda won't be paying 30% anyway, they'll be getting preferential rates due to the size and the volume of sales. Plus, to look at it as a loss doesn't make sense anyway. The percentage that Valve takes includes their whole distribution portion, delivery, server space, bandwidth and tool sets for Steamworks integration.

Additionally, you'd be surprised how big the difference really is. The founder of Oddworld did a talk about it, and has said that when they were originally producing games in the Playstation era, they'd have to sell a million copies of a game to make the same as they do now selling tens of thousands via Steam.

Soldato
Exactly man but it's no bother, there are cheaper alternates to Steam when a developer decides to take the piddle on there, just a shame those who aren't prepared for a jolly good fisting via Steam can't support Bethesda as much as they'd like to, but it's Beth's loss. :cool:

Caporegime
Mixed feelings about this.

FO3 was decent as far as exploration goes, and the graphics were certainly not the worst part of the game.

Sadly I found the combat lacking, and the story/quests pretty dull. And they turned the mutants into orcs, which is unforgivable :p

Ultimately, the game was littered with flaws/bad design. Will wait for reviews.

Soldato
Just paid £20.88 for my pre-order Steam CD Key from Kinguin list price is £21.29 but they have a 5% off code for a couple of days WARNEVERCHANGES, they did put a 65p "Payment Charge" on top though.

/Edit: Just noticed that the seller on Kinguins offer is G2Play.net as per the posts on page 3 of this thread

Last edited:
Associate
Mixed feelings about this.

FO3 was decent as far as exploration goes, and the graphics were certainly not the worst part of the game.

Sadly I found the combat lacking, and the story/quests pretty dull. And they turned the mutants into orcs, which is unforgivable :p

Ultimately, the game was littered with flaws/bad design. Will wait for reviews.

I encourage you to pick up new Vegas cheap somewhere and give it a go. Improved the combat and feels much more "fallout" to me than fo3.

Associate
Collection edition please.
Whatever the cost.

Take me.

This is why I haven't made a pre-order yet, just in case there is a collectors edition or a version with all the DLC included pre launch.

I'd also pay whatever for a collectors edition, Bethesda need to cash in on fanboys with more money than sense :)

Soldato
Hadn't seen or played anything of FO until earlier this year when I picked up NV cheap, got completely addicted and thought it was brilliant.

Will maybe try and pick up FO3 and play through it before 4 comes out, but I have so little spare time these days I'm not sure I'll have time for either TBH, still can't wait to see how 4 turns out though!

Soldato
On steam page for fo3 goty version it said it isnt optimised for win 7 or over. What does that mean exactly. I had a copy of fo3 awhile ago and it worked but the audio had issues iirc which was clicking or not working or somit iirc which was pretty bad and never patched iirc. Is it that or somit else that it means.

Soldato
On steam page for fo3 goty version it said it isnt optimised for win 7 or over. What does that mean exactly. I had a copy of fo3 awhile ago and it worked but the audio had issues iirc which was clicking or not working or somit iirc which was pretty bad and never patched iirc. Is it that or somit else that it means.

Not sure, as I bought it yesterday (Already had it, but it was a Windows Live copy) and it seems to be running absolutely fine on my Win7 64-bit! Audio seems to be fine as do graphics.

Associate

Try it. If you have a problem just get a refund through Steam, simples.

Back
Top Bottom