**** Official Fallout 4 Thread ****

Soldato
Yeah sure, but most console games are still bought in the hard copy format because their digital versions are so expensive in comparison.

Caporegime
I'm still astounded by the numbers of people who buy directly from steam even when there's the choice to buy a key that activates a steam copy.

The only game I've done it for recently is GTA V and that's because of the issues I'd heard the rockstar social club client was having with pre-release downloads, that and the fact the difference was only a tenner whereas usually the difference between a keysite and from steam is substantially more.

Man of Honour
Part of me really hopes they'll release Fallout Online - or something similar - at some point. I love the Fallout brand, I think it could become an MMO game very well given the right care and attention.

Soldato
I'm not so sure.

I just think 99% of mmo's are **** really. It's just false content by creating endless repetition (kill 50 ghouls & collect 10 ghoul thumbs).

Next area, kill 40 elite ghouls & collect 15 elite ghoul big toes.... (repeat ad infinitum)..

The only MMO which really breaks this cycle is EvE online (due to being player driven as opposed to content driven). I'd worry a Fallout MMO would fall into the former category & would end up being terrible.

Caporegime
Have to agree there, MMO versions of single players titles never seem to work.

I mean it probably can be done if they break the traditional model but most won't risk it or know how.

Man of Honour
I only really dig MMOs that are player driven - making their own stories really. I get that this is completely the antithesis of Fallout as it's entirely story driven, but I think the brutality of the world would lend itself well to an unforgiving Eve style of game.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Agreed, MMO needs to be from the ground up and end game needs to be there at the START not added 12 months later when everyone has moved onto something else.

I just hope they fix the mouse all over the place issue, just re-installed LAS Vegas and its appalling, even with the so called fixes. MEH MEH MEH

Soldato
Yeah, adding Co op to the Fallout series makes more sense with how the games are played and how the stories go.
That would work very well, even could with four players (with dynamically scaling difficulty). It would turn it into a FPS wastelands 2!.

Story based games can be made co-operative very easily, tbh I'm unsure as to why more don't add the capacity. It expands modding potential hugely also.

Caporegime
OP
It would take an awful lot of adaptations to make it work properly as a co-op title I imagine. In Borderlands by comparison, you have smaller areas which all players are forced into once one player initiates the transition, and you also have game dynamics which don't activate until all players are present. With Fallout the entire wasteland will be open, so you could very well end up miles and miles away from your co-op partner. You could also have a situation where one player misses out on some game-play because your co-op partner stumbled across something on their way to you and inadvertently completed a mission...

Games like Borderlands are semi-path driven, semi free roam, with forced transitions for all players. So it works a-lot better than it would for Elder Scrolls/Fallout.

Personally I don't really want co-op.

Soldato
It's all about the options though, isn't it? It would be easy enough to implement a system that ensured players didn't wander off too much from each other.

Or like in Dying Light, if you're trying to initiate something story or quest related, there's a prompt for all players to be present, and it gives an option to teleport your player character to whatever location you need to be at.

Soldato
There may not be a licence fee to pay to the platform holder, but since this is a Steam release then 30% of the sale price goes to Valve. Which is probably slightly more than developers pay in licence fees to console platform holders.

Was not aware GAME, Amazon etc. work for free. ;)

Caporegime
The radiant quest system from Skyrim

Lol, that was hardly an amazing addition, while the idea was solid, the implementation was stale, perhaps they've fixed it, but knowing Bethesda they will have just created a new-fangled idea that will never come to full fruition.

Hopefully not i mean... i'm not moaning for moanings sake.

They desperately need to fix some longstanding issues in the engine first, i am always amazed that they waste their time on it.

Soldato
Lol, that was hardly an amazing addition, while the idea was solid, the implementation was stale, perhaps they've fixed it, but knowing Bethesda they will have just created a new-fangled idea that will never come to full fruition.

It needs tweaking sure, but the idea is great, and prefect for RPGs.

Soldato
happy days. seems I won't have to wait until 2016 :)

I think fallout is great as is and wouldn't want it to become a MMO. mindless grinding doesn't appeal to me. plenty of other MMOs out there if that is your cup of tea. please leave fallout as is.

In fact I think SWOTOR would have been a better game as a single player game, because as a MMO I got bored of it really quickly. the end game was a chore. haven't played it since it went F2P but I doubt that has made it any better even if they added some new areas

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Was not aware GAME, Amazon etc. work for free. ;)

They don't, but they sell physical copies of PC games as well.

So all the same costs associated with consoles games applies to PC games. Apart from the licence fee paid to console platform holders. This cost for PC games is in the form of the fees paid to Steam in the vast majority of PC game releases. Definitely in the case of Fallout 4. So the poster who claimed the PC version of this game should be cheaper than the console version, because there's no licence fee, was mistaken to think that similar costs didn't apply to the PC version. Hence its similar price to the console version.

Associate
Did Fallout have a significantly smaller variety of enemies to the likes of Skyrim? I feel like it did. Obviously Fallout is more human and less fantasy and so the majority of hostile encounters will be versus different factions rather than different creatures but I would still like to see a larger collection of mutants. Also better itemisation and less reliance on crafting.

Back
Top Bottom