**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Man of Honour
All I wanted was FO coop :(

You might be able to get that in FO76 with pacifist mode. Obviously it's not finalised yet, but it looks like a possibility for maybe opting out of PvP and making FO76 a co-op multiplayer PvE game. I'm not sure about the details (for example, it's on up to L5 but can you keep it on afterwards?), and they're not finalised yet anyway, but it might be something for you to keep an eye on.

Soldato
You might be able to get that in FO76 with pacifist mode. Obviously it's not finalised yet, but it looks like a possibility for maybe opting out of PvP and making FO76 a co-op multiplayer PvE game. I'm not sure about the details (for example, it's on up to L5 but can you keep it on afterwards?), and they're not finalised yet anyway, but it might be something for you to keep an eye on.

As I understand PVP starts if you retaliate on provocation, you get hit and that hit basically does little to no damage regardless of level / stats / armor.

Bethesda see it as a system to stop 'griefing' to try and sell it to the long standing fans who mostly love Fallout because they aren't fans of most multiplayer games, I'm one of latter and am not convinced.
Given Bethesda's history of bugs, players will undoubtedly find ways around this and just run around being total tools in a bid to ruin the experience for most people just wanting to play a Fallout game, because that's just what happens in a multiplayer environment, in every single online game I've played.

Pet Northerner
Don
As I understand PVP starts if you retaliate on provocation, you get hit and that hit basically does little to no damage regardless of level / stats / armor.

Bethesda see it as a system to stop 'griefing' to try and sell it to the long standing fans who mostly love Fallout because they aren't fans of most multiplayer games, I'm one of latter and am not convinced.
Given Bethesda's history of bugs, players will undoubtedly find ways around this and just run around being total tools in a bid to ruin the experience for most people just wanting to play a Fallout game, because that's just what happens in a multiplayer environment, in every single online game I've played.

From what I've heard is that pacifist mode stops your bullets hurting other players, which stop the griefing tactic of another player getting in your way and triggering full PVP. If this can be kept on, then you would be able to avoid most PVP

Associate
I was against the game when they announced it (as I prefer SP and hate all kinds of "base building" additions) but after videos I think I might bite. It reminds me Destiny style, which I played on my own. Bigger bosses I killed with other players that were there at the same time, went through the story on my own etc. So I think there is going to be plenty of SP for me to enjoy it.

Caporegime

Yeah but if there's no npcs or story It's a bit meh.

Caporegime
From what I've heard is that pacifist mode stops your bullets hurting other players, which stop the griefing tactic of another player getting in your way and triggering full PVP. If this can be kept on, then you would be able to avoid most PVP

But what stops the person just jumping infront of you non stop so you can't see or do anything:p

Or ruining your stealth approach by standing next you firing wildly at the enemy to draw them to kill you

Man of Honour

Yes, if pacifist mode isn't on. If you have pacifist mode on, players can't harm you and you can't harm them. You can stand a metre apart and empty miniguns at each other with no effect. Pacifist mode is on for everyone until they reach L5. It has been suggested that it might be an available option for a player to choose to have it on after reaching L5. Maybe. The facility is definitely in the game because it's on for every player below level 5. It's just a matter of whether Bethesda allow players to use it.

Absolutely. It will happen. Everyone apart from people making press releases for Bethesda knows that. Well, they probably know it too but are pretending not to.

But what stops the person just jumping infront of you non stop so you can't see or do anything:p

Or ruining your stealth approach by standing next you firing wildly at the enemy to draw them to kill you

Or leading some aggro mobs into you, as has been done in numerous online games even when PvP doesn't exist. Or finding some way of getting the environment to kill you. Lots of things explode in Fallout games. That's just off the top of my head and not including creative use of bugs which will undoubtably exist because they always do in Bethesda's games.

Yeah but if there's no npcs or story It's a bit meh.

There are sort of NPCs. They're dead or gone, but terminal entries and notes from sort of partly function as NPCs to a limited extent. A bit meh, but maybe not too much. There are stories. A main story, numerous side-quest stories and the background stories (from notes and placement of corpses and items) that you usually get in a Fallout game. The story part doesn't look bad, maybe better than the mian story in FO4.

I'm thinking that it might possibly at some undetermined point in the future perhaps be something I might play if it was cheap. Maybe. Probably not, but that's partly because I don't want to in any way encourage Bethesda to turn Fallout into an online only multiplayer only unmoddable hyper-expensive (AAA price + DLC + over-priced not-so-microtransactions) waste of money.

Soldato
They'd probably do better with a similar approach to Rust/Ark and have PVE and PVP servers to eliminate the PVP griefing issue entirely.

Doesn't seem like there's much point to PVP anyway, you only get their junk and not their weapons/armour/drugs which seems a bit lackluster.

Associate
They'd probably do better with a similar approach to Rust/Ark and have PVE and PVP servers to eliminate the PVP griefing issue entirely.

Doesn't seem like there's much point to PVP anyway, you only get their junk and not their weapons/armour/drugs which seems a bit lackluster.

workshops are PVP due to once you claim a workshop to take it your always PVP enabled to do so.
so once you claimed one others can come and fight you.
you win caps but importantly with workshops a the fusion cores and other content it makes.

so PVP has a place within F76

Caporegime
workshops are PVP due to once you claim a workshop to take it your always PVP enabled to do so.
you win caps but importantly with workshops a the fusion cores and other content it makes.

So you can't have a workshop unless you constantly want to get ambushed there

Man of Honour
The videos have put me off even more, it looks like a last gen console game with horrible graphics, animations and physics. With Oblivion, Skyrim and even FO4 I can put up with the dodgy engine but for a multiplayer game it's going to be even worse.

The engine has a major advantage - it's the best engine for modding. So FO76 completely throws away the biggest advantage of the engine.

Maybe it's because I started gaming on a ZX-81, but the graphics for FO76 are fine to me. Pretty good, actually. I have a much lower bar for graphics. Roughly, if it'll run at 1920x1080 it's OK by me. The only game I've played recently in which I've found the graphics a significant problem is Darkstone, which is from 1999 and only runs at 640x480. I built a new PC for FO4, but not to max out the graphics with high res texture mods and suchlike. It was because the engine doesn't handle large complex settlements at all efficiently and you need to brute force them to a playable framerate with oodles of processing power.

And that would mean that FO76 has no place for me. First thing I did with FO4 settlements was defences, defences and more defences and when that didn't work because the game ignores defences I modded away settlement attacks entirely. 1000 defence rating walled fortress settlements with 24 heavily armed settlers being defeated by 6 raiders with pipe guns. No, that's silly. Mod it away.

Soldato
I am now pretty certain no matter what the reception is Bethesda are going ahead regardless & releasing this on time on all platforms. They recently signed a marketing partnership with Microsoft to sell a gloss white Xbox1X with a copy of the game that is set in stone for the release date & being marketed heavily now. I get the feeling that once this game is released it will just fade away fast once Bethesda realise the underwhelming commercial reception it gets they will cut their losses dump it & do the minimal required support then move onto Starfield.

The last feedback & gameplay videos from the limited Xbox1 beta a few days ago showed the game is in a poor state graphics especially are far lower quality than even Fallout 4 & it still cannot maintain 30FPS due to map world size. In late 2018 that alone will not sell the game anymore.

All I expect now is the main story around this game to be the low commercial success & how poorly Bethesda misjudged their target audience :(

Last edited:
Associate
So you can't have a workshop unless you constantly want to get ambushed there

constantly?
who knows, its a big world and 24 players a server atm.
its MP so player interaction is required.
unless workshops are really scarce with fusion cores it may require some defense but hey its a MP game, adapt and conquer...

The engine has a major advantage - it's the best engine for modding. So FO76 completely throws away the biggest advantage of the engine.

a year away or so before mods and private servers be out.
seems it still be good for modding as bethesda support that.

Soldato
Remember that ESO had a similar negative reception. They continued to support it and from what I gather it's got a healthy population now.

Soldato
Remember that ESO had a similar negative reception. They continued to support it and from what I gather it's got a healthy population now.

ESO since day one, is a fantastic game which you can play SP. :) 90% of the game doesn't need group interaction. And is very big game to spend 2000 hours before you decide to do so. And yet is still much to do at Cyrodil, imperial sewers or imperial City (pvp areas) or do the group dungeons.

Soldato
The preload is now live.

Also did anyone else who ordered from Amazon appear to have received 2 beta codes?

I got one just after I ordered, and I just received another one this evening!

Back
Top Bottom