**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Man of Honour
It looks like the first unofficial mods for Fallout 76 are out already:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-02-fallout-76-modding-has-begun

Yes, but it's limited to texture mods and maybe sound mods. It's nothing at all like modding for Fallout 4 (or 3 or NV or most of the Elder Scrolls games).

Its easy to mod right now as it uses the exact same modding tools & file formats as Fallout 4. Try doing this when the servers are live though will probably be perma ban!

That too. If a player can change the colour of their pipboy themself, how are Bethesda going to get players to pay real world money for a different colour pipboy in the game?

Soldato
I read some more and they are apparent drones.

Yes, but it's limited to texture mods and maybe sound mods. It's nothing at all like modding for Fallout 4 (or 3 or NV or most of the Elder Scrolls games).

That too. If a player can change the colour of their pipboy themself, how are Bethesda going to get players to pay real world money for a different colour pipboy in the game?

Atoms are also used to buy generators(well it looked that way unless I am mistaken). Not liking that!!

Associate
I played it some more. It does have a decent enough atmosphere,for instance Vault-Tec University is quite creepy and the stories of the dead people seem reasonably well told.

However,I do question how much replayability the game will have after the initial story has been finished. Also the lack of living factions also means there is really no goal too.

Also,is it just me,or did anyone noticed some Vertibirds today?? Three of them flying in the sky and some jet powered thingy!

I found it and left it in the building. I only had 2 Fusion cores at that point.

Yes, I definately thought I saw a vertibird today - must have been about 30 minutes after the beta went online - but I was busy looking at the ground textures, so only saw the distinctive shadow as it flew past and was gone by the time I looked up. Instantly thought Brotherhood of Steel as that's how we first encountered them in Fallout 4.

Then assumed might have been time of day changes to tree shadow casting after remembering what you said about factions being dead. Though would swear it can't be anything other than a vertibird based on the speed the shadow moved at and that it came out of nowehere and ran across the ground and the whole screen.

I'll be very surprised if there's no factions in the game, it just wouldn't make any sense. If it does turn out to be like TESO, as with factions and all the other standard lore, I'd be willing to look past much of the negative stuff from the beta because it will only get better.

Oh and I was near the first little town, with the bridge running over it - the second place the Overseer sends you after the first C.A.M.P section.

Last edited:
Soldato
8: Weak constantly degrading weapons (which ALWAYS break in the middle of a battle never before or after!).

To be fair, they're only going to break when you're using them :p

But I agree that they need to make it more obvious when something has less than say 10% CND left, the tiny icon by the AP bar is too easy to miss.

Quit the beta early and cancelled my preorder last night after a couple of "OMFG rage" moments in combat. Made the noob mistake of trying to use the mouse wheel to change weapon, ended up stuck on the stupid wheel, push Esc to get off it, oh look, map screen... *you are dead*, then about an hour later, push G for grenade (you know, like every other game ever) "would you like to wave or dance at the nascent snallygaster?" ... *you are dead*... Argh!! Never mind the frustration of inadvertently holding down the melee key for more than 4ms and blowing yourself up with a grenade instead of punching that ghoul in the face... Broken, broken, broken game. :mad:

Soldato
Try modding when its live though they will ban for sure! This is why it would be such a good move to let PC players have mods on private servers to at least salvage something from this mess ;)

Soldato
:eek:
To be fair, they're only going to break when you're using them :p

But I agree that they need to make it more obvious when something has less than say 10% CND left, the tiny icon by the AP bar is too easy to miss.

Quit the beta early and cancelled my preorder last night after a couple of "OMFG rage" moments in combat. Made the noob mistake of trying to use the mouse wheel to change weapon, ended up stuck on the stupid wheel, push Esc to get off it, oh look, map screen... *you are dead*, then about an hour later, push G for grenade (you know, like every other game ever) "would you like to wave or dance at the nascent snallygaster?" ... *you are dead*... Argh!! Never mind the frustration of inadvertently holding down the melee key for more than 4ms and blowing yourself up with a grenade instead of punching that ghoul in the face... Broken, broken, broken game. :mad:
Degradation is ridiculous though :p you need to be a high lvl to slow this down even then its really annoying. Lvl 50 is the max right now that will take about 100 hours to reach! The controls are built around Xbox 360 or 1 controllers you can rebind buttons to hotkey the grenade but why should you the default controls are really poor like a lot of the game :eek:

I found a glitch to help levelling up. Find a big location which is full of higher lvl enemies. Go battle them get killed rinse & repeat you respawn right next to your last location so can easily go 2-3 lvls up or even more as everytime you respawn you get full health again! Last night though it would no longer let you respawn anywhere you had to quit to the main menu everytime. Not sure if its another bug or intended that way.

Soldato
you can rebind buttons to hotkey the grenade but why should you the default controls are really poor like a lot of the game :eek:

You can't separate the melee and grenade keys though, which is the issue, rebinding grenade to the correct key then has the effect of moving melee further away from my fingers, it's a joke that they somehow think a half-****ed remapping of console controls is acceptable

Associate
They have at least increased the delay required to throw a grenade. In fact due to being used to the wonky grenade vs mele in F4 its an annoyance to me that it takes longer now.

On a positive note, I've not had any issues with bugs. Bar the graphical enemies stuck in animation gliding towards you and missing water.

Until yesterday I was worried that it was dumbed a bit down and too easy (I've still not yet died in PVE - only consensual PVP), but last night I had to resort to using pathing against mobs a few times.

Had a great moment where the early main quest sends you on that 'parkour-training' and jumped off a ledge right on top of a Snallygaster. Loving the big boss mobs like the dragon-esk Scortchedbeast and Grantham monsters.

Soldato
Yes, I definately thought I saw a vertibird today - must have been about 30 minutes after the beta went online - but I was busy looking at the ground textures, so only saw the distinctive shadow as it flew past and was gone by the time I looked up. Instantly thought Brotherhood of Steel as that's how we first encountered them in Fallout 4.

Then assumed might have been time of day changes to tree shadow casting after remembering what you said about factions being dead. Though would swear it can't be anything other than a vertibird based on the speed the shadow moved at and that it came out of nowehere and ran across the ground and the whole screen.

I'll be very surprised if there's no factions in the game, it just wouldn't make any sense. If it does turn out to be like TESO, as with factions and all the other standard lore, I'd be willing to look past much of the negative stuff from the beta because it will only get better.

Oh and I was near the first little town, with the bridge running over it - the second place the Overseer sends you after the first C.A.M.P section.

It was definitely a vertibird,as you could see the rotors and they had the vertibird sound! Apparently they might be drones.

Man of Honour
It was definitely a vertibird,as you could see the rotors and they had the vertibird sound! Apparently they might be drones.

Sometimes you find a note that gives you a radiant quest to call in a government aid supply drop and sometimes you find a dropped government aid supply crate (visible from some distance away because the supply crate has a flare on it that emits a plume of orange smoke).

I think it's likely that the vertibirds are the ingame explanation for what's dropping those aid supply crates - an automated system that's still functioning.

Associate
Mods can't be used on an online game because everyone will see their own game files.

The Creation engine loses all it's positives if there's no meaninful/ non-linear A.I intercation, it's like playing a survival game with your legs shackled. What's the point, there's way better engines that can do online survival without all the Gamebyro/Creation engine's drawbacks caused by it being designed for that very purpose?

They've officially lost the plot.

Man of Honour
[..]
The Creation engine loses all it's positives if there's no meaninful/ non-linear A.I intercation, it's like playing a survival game with your legs shackled. What's the point, there's way better engines that can do online survival without all the Gamebyro/Creation engine's drawbacks caused by it being designed for that very purpose? [..]

I think that would be a good point even if Bethesda had had a clear focus for FO76. Part of the issue is the mess of conflicting game types pushed together and part of the issue is just bad development (e.g. the shoddy console port that's passed off as the PC version) but even if those things didn't exist and FO76 was a purely multiplayer survival game I think Proto's point would still apply. You can use a spanner as a hammer, but if you want a hammer then you're better off with a hammer.

Back
Top Bottom