**** Official Fallout 76 Thread ****

Soldato
I've just seen another "innovative feature" of FO76 in one of Oxhorn's streams. It turns out that holotapes have two seperate sound files and the audio is classed as background music. No, seriously, that's not a joke. So if you have background music set to zero volume all you will hear as a holotape plays is the quiet hissing that's the other sound file and so it seems that the holotape is blank, erased or damaged because, of course, there's no clue that holotape audio is classed as background music and no rational reason for it to be.

That's a worse design decision than using the same button to do a melee attack and throw a grenade.

I want to like the game despite it being a mess of different games and not working well as any of them, but it's that mess on top of bugs on top of deliberately dissuading PC players from playing on top of multiple bad gameplay design decisions on top of the annoyance of other people being in the way of playing the game on top of the lack of configuration options (either from Bethesda or made possible by mods). I don't think the good points are worth putting up with the bad points, even ignoring the cost and the unwelcome precedent of preventing modding and embedding macrotransactions even further into the game and being dependent on Bethesda allowing you to play even after you've paid for the game and having to install yet another launcher (and one that's notoriously bad at the moment).
Funnily enough had sound issues last night. Music suddenly was audible but every single holotape was quiet now I know why! This game is so badly designed its a wonder it ever got this close to release its nothing more than an alpha release :eek: also got the same bug where I could not chose my respawn point after death so had to quit to the main menu to reload the game.

So many bugs (animation cycles still broken for scorched & other enemies) glad the beta is over now I can uninstall & reclaim the HD space.

Bethesda better be wearing some unbreakable shields on release date if they want to persist with this game :rolleyes:

Associate
Loving it so far. Looking forward to Tuesday.

The 30gig patch yesterday fixed my water display bug. And the fan made 21:9 fixer has been great. Had a broken quest end yesterday [Grafton Mayor -> Fort machine not responding and object glitched (could walk through it).

As I was only on for 2 hours last night, I went back to the green zone area north of the vault to see what I'd missed, but the mobs really were too low level. Will save it for another character. That's still my concern with the game is that it might be balanced a bit too easy for me. So far its been throwing food and rad-away at me that the survival aspect is nullified. I've yet to die in pve. However having watched some console streamers struggle, I'm at least understanding why Beth may have balanced it as they have.

They are also relaxing the 400 stash limit :( For me that is glorious game design, but the hate from social media is too much there clearly.

Associate
No sure if the beta is still running or if they are going to run it again before launch, but if anyone is on the fence to buy you can get buy a beta key from CD keys for £1.49. At least you get a chance to play before paying £30+

Soldato
Man of Honour
Just found out I had enough (5) codes to launch a nuke on Solo :eek:
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/fallout-76-nuke-launch-codes//

These guys are lvl 50 god knows how that got that so fast as 50 is the max lvl right now! I guess they got their beta moneys worth as well :eek:
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/streamer-frenchtomahawk-launched-a-nuke-in-the-final-fallout-76-beta/

It's relatively easy to gain experience far more quickly if you constantly play in a party and focus on gaining XP rather than exploring, reading stuff, etc. In short, if you play it like it wasn't a Fallout game. Because it's been designed that way.

In comparison, Oxhorn played every second of the available beta sessions as if it was a Fallout game, i.e. solo and focussing on exploring, reading stuff, etc, and reached early 20s level. In his case, it's how he makes a living.

Man of Honour
I think I've come up with an analogy to summarise FO76 and why I've been wanting to want to buy it but not wanting to buy it.

Imagine the previous Fallout games as mugs of tea. Different mugs and different varieties of tea, but tea.

In this analogy, FO76 is like a mug of tea with globs of mashed banana chucked into it. In a mug that leaks a bit and has a chipped rim with numerous sharp sections. And the tea is a bit on the lukewarm side. And you're not allowed to change anything about the mug or the tea.

I want to want to buy it because I want the tea. I don't want to buy it because of the way the tea is served and the inability to change that. Bethesda might fiddle with it with a bit, maybe fix some bugs and maybe make some of the most annoying design decisions a bit less annoying, but in the analogy that would come down to reducing the amount of leaking and filing down a couple of the sharper bits of the broken rim. It's not enough and in any case the whole thing is fundamentally flawed. Even for people who like both tea and bananas.

Associate
I think I've come up with an analogy to summarise FO76 and why I've been wanting to want to buy it but not wanting to buy it.

Imagine the previous Fallout games as mugs of tea. Different mugs and different varieties of tea, but tea.

In this analogy, FO76 is like a mug of tea with globs of mashed banana chucked into it. In a mug that leaks a bit and has a chipped rim with numerous sharp sections. And the tea is a bit on the lukewarm side. And you're not allowed to change anything about the mug or the tea.

I want to want to buy it because I want the tea. I don't want to buy it because of the way the tea is served and the inability to change that. Bethesda might fiddle with it with a bit, maybe fix some bugs and maybe make some of the most annoying design decisions a bit less annoying, but in the analogy that would come down to reducing the amount of leaking and filing down a couple of the sharper bits of the broken rim. It's not enough and in any case the whole thing is fundamentally flawed. Even for people who like both tea and bananas.

Reminded me of Newman and Baddiels 'History Today':

"See...a mug of tea with globs of banana chucked into it?"
"Is the mug a bit leaky and have a chipped rim with numerous sharp sections?"
"Yes - and the tea is a bit on the lukewarm side and you're not allowed to change anything."
"I have observed such a beverage"
"That's your Fallout that is..."

:)

Soldato
While you go on about your tea. CD Keys have it up for £29.99

I think it's worth it at that to be fair.
I bought it at that price yesterday it only cost me £9.99 overall as I got an unexpected £20 refund on my credit card. To be fair even though this game has a lot of issues & even though its not really the direction I want Fallout to go in after spending almost 40 hours on the BETA I feel as though I will probably get some more hours of it especially when they patch it a bit further or add the free DLC mission content (only cosmetic items will ever cost money but even then you can earn Atoms in game so do not need to buy anything).

Man of Honour
While you go on about your tea. CD Keys have it up for £29.99

I think it's worth it at that to be fair.

I don't regard the price as the main issue. I paid ~£70 in total for FO4 and DLCs (both pre-ordered at full price) and I consider that superb value for money. I'd cheerfully pay the same for a new Fallout game like 3/NV/4. Which FO76 definitely isn't.

Reminded me of Newman and Baddiels 'History Today':

"See...a mug of tea with globs of banana chucked into it?"
"Is the mug a bit leaky and have a chipped rim with numerous sharp sections?"
"Yes - and the tea is a bit on the lukewarm side and you're not allowed to change anything."
"I have observed such a beverage"
"That's your Fallout that is..."

:)

:) I liked those sketches and I think you've nailed it.

Is the release going tobe stuck at 63fps also?

The beta is the release version. It's academic anyway, since the physics is tied to the framerate and the game is broken over 60fps. That's part of the engine.

I'm still in two minds about it. Maybe I could overlook the bad design decisions, the relatively small game (the map is much bigger than FO4 but the game is much smaller because the content is spread out a lot more), the lack of an actual PC version (the "PC" version is a hastily and very badly ported Xbox version), the badly designed controls, the very poor quality UI, the lack of any possibility of modders fixing any of those things, the certainty that every player will just have to put up with whatever Bethesda imposes on them, the knowledge that the game is so dedicated to macrotransations that the embedded real money shop is the only polished and completed part of the game and, most fundamentally, the fact that the game is designed from the ground up as a party-based multiplayer game with PvP and solo play mashed into it to make a mess. I know I can overlook the bugs and the mediocre graphics.

Caporegime
Imagine, just imagine, actually spending some of your hard earned money on this. Bethesda must be a having a party. They've figured out they can release a complete mess and still roll around in cash.

All this does is increase my doubts about their next TES game being any good. Why should it be when mugs buy it anyway?

Soldato
Imagine, just imagine, actually spending some of your hard earned money on this. Bethesda must be a having a party. They've figured out they can release a complete mess and still roll around in cash.

All this does is increase my doubts about their next TES game being any good. Why should it be when mugs buy it anyway?

The next Elder Scrolls and Starfield are using the same engine as Fallout 76 apparently.

Soldato
Midnight launch in UK so not long to go now. CD Keys are sending out the codes now just got mine redeemed straight away no issues as always with cdkeys!

It has a small day one patch on PC (Xbox 1 is a 51GB redownload of the entire game!) so should not take long after midnight to be ready if you preloaded or tried the BETA.

Back
Top Bottom