***Official GTAV PC Thread*** [Important warning updated in the OP]

Yep for me using x4 MSAA and a single 980, grass is the trade off if I want 60 fps in all situations. I will trade fluffy fields for jaggies every time. Whilst I have tried high n very high grass in the past the hit on FPS is just too great. I have all the other whistles n bells so one less is not a problem for me. I love how my game looks and 60fps makes it that much more enjoyable... :D

A 980 must hammer a 290x at 1080p, no way a 290x can handle 4xmsaa. I guess it doesnt matter at higher resolutions as amd seem to catch up then.

I know what ya mean about getting 60 fps though, looks much more natural, especially with crossfire, things get stuttery real fast when ya not getting 60 with crossfire.

I have everything as high as it can go at 4k in the normal graphics bit with the exception of msaa as I don't think its needed at that res and I get 60fps constant.

However....i am having a bit of a problem where every so often I come out of a loading screen, or a cut scene finishes, the fps drops to between 30 and 45 and I have to alt enter to windowed mode then go back to full screen to get the fps back up to 60.

I'm thinking its vram related as on 3200x1800 there is no problem at all. Any thoughts?

Nice guide as well, very useful.

I have everything as high as it can go at 4k in the normal graphics bit with the exception of msaa as I don't think its needed at that res and I get 60fps constant.

However....i am having a bit of a problem where every so often I come out of a loading screen, or a cut scene finishes, the fps drops to between 30 and 45 and I have to alt enter to windowed mode then go back to full screen to get the fps back up to 60.

I'm thinking its vram related as on 3200x1800 there is no problem at all. Any thoughts?

That FPS dtop is the same for me, yep alt tab out (that is another issue for me and my win 10) or just change one of the graphics settings at the beginning. I know Nvidia adaptive sync in CP should resolve it but I find it still happens. I always start in story mode and adjust the graphics to resolve that before playing. Takes 20 seconds and have never had an issue. Do not do it and it can flip flop at what seems completely random times. guaranteed looking out of a window though.

I would say my 980 is one of the more faster cards out there but MSAA is just a killer for any card as you know. Saying that, I don't like the game without it enabled. DSR and Frame scaling don't cut it either... but as I am 1080p, there is no real need to consider Sli as I am more than happy with it :)

I think everyone gets that from time to time m8, just one of those things. I found having my Xbox controller turned off when I start the game stops me getting it, I have a feeling it's just caused by some thing loading in the background causing GTA to lose priority or summat

That FPS dtop is the same for me, yep alt tab out (that is another issue for me and my win 10) or just change one of the graphics settings at the beginning. I know Nvidia adaptive sync in CP should resolve it but I find it still happens. I always start in story mode and adjust the graphics to resolve that before playing. Takes 20 seconds and have never had an issue. Do not do it and it can flip flop at what seems completely random times. guaranteed looking out of a window though.

I would say my 980 is one of the more faster cards out there but MSAA is just a killer for any card as you know. Saying that, I don't like the game without it enabled. DSR and Frame scaling don't cut it either... but as I am 1080p, there is no real need to consider Sli as I am more than happy with it :)

I think everyone gets that from time to time m8, just one of those things. I found having my Xbox controller turned off when I start the game stops me getting it, I have a feeling it's just caused by some thing loading in the background causing GTA to lose priority or summat

Its just strange how it never happens at 1800p, but does it at 2160 after maybe a quarter or missions/heists loading screens.

I will monitor the memory usage on my cards later and see if it pushes past 100% at any point, or have GPUZ monitoring and logging so I can review after.

I am still playing at 2160p and alt tabbing but would rather resolve.

I haven't tried MSAA at 2160p tbh but I doubt it will make any impact considering the resolution, no jaggies at all :)

I find sweetfx with SMAA and FXAA on in game to do a pretty good for jaggies and little performance hit.

I was using just that at 1440p and it was brilliant but at 4k I'm just using a very basic sweetfx which is only properly noticeable at night as it enhances the sky etc.
Will play about later on with it as with vsync off I get around 75-80fps so still have room to push a few more settings in like smaa via sweetfx or msaa in game.

I wish i could get my FPS that close to 60, with a quad core and crossfire i get much lower min FPS so i end up with about 100+ as my average to get 60 min. Most the time i get about 120 if i turn vsync off.

Having hex core and 980s must bring the min FPS up a fair amount over mine.

i use latest Nvidia driver 361.91 WQHL for my GTX 970 asus strix 4gb OC

Ah yeah sry didnt see you were nvidia, seems quite common to get them dots on textures, ive heard quite a few nvidia users mention it. I think foggy/rainy weather causes it but i havent seen any cures for it.

From what ive read on thread of people complaining AMD used to get a similar thing but it was removed via a driver update. I dont ever remember seeing it my self though, even right after launch. Maybe its a combination of a certain resolution+ weather effects and certain graphics settings, and thats why not everyone sees it.

Last edited:
Ah yeah sry didnt see you were nvidia, seems quite common to get them dots on textures, ive heard quite a few nvidia users mention it. I think foggy/rainy weather causes it but i havent seen any cures for it.

From what ive read on thread of people complaining AMD used to get a similar thing but it was removed via a driver update. I dont ever remember seeing it my self though, even right after launch. Maybe its a combination of a certain resolution+ weather effects and certain graphics settings, and thats why not everyone sees it.

can you try to see if you have same issue how me? you can activate cheat rainy weather and go to grass and see puddles if you go area rockford hills how my videos :)

I wish i could get my FPS that close to 60, with a quad core and crossfire i get much lower min FPS so i end up with about 100+ as my average to get 60 min. Most the time i get about 120 if i turn vsync off.

Having hex core and 980s must bring the min FPS up a fair amount over mine.

What settings do you run?

I have tried but can't replicate it :( but I think your right.

Can someone just give me a brief run down of what online gameplay is all about? I'm still on the main story, haven't bothered with anything else as yet.

Online is a mixture of things, theres freeroam which is just running around the session you join when you hit online, in freeroam you can chase bounties, steal cars, do daily objectives, do events ( fastest speed, furthest jump etc) or just run around killing everyone like a loonatic if ya wish. Theres Heists which are 4 man jobs like robbing banks stealing drugs fighting gangs etc. Then theres lots of seperate jobs you can join which involve races, deathmatches and lots of other fun stuff.

My personal preference is to jump in a Jet and fly around killing people and doing stunts, some people just sit in teh garage pimping out their cars all night, really depends on what ya enjoy doing, it had most things available to suit your tastes.

Just means No Problem. I gave it a go, couldnt get it to replicate them glitches, could you give me some of you graphics settings.

Resolution, FXAA, MSAA etc, and ill enter the same settings and see if it shows then.

my setting are this i show here down spoiler box :)

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<Settings>
<version value="27" />
<configSource>SMC_AUTO</configSource>
<graphics>
<Tessellation value="2" />
<LodScale value="1.000000" />
<PedLodBias value="0.200000" />
<VehicleLodBias value="0.000000" />
<ShadowQuality value="2" />
<ReflectionQuality value="2" />
<ReflectionMSAA value="0" />