Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
Ah got you.

This was what I was looking at which suggests that different sized bars can be used.
https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-adjus...sTbNnifRU-iZYUbVnQCGRQlZt4PRSYNBoCldUQAvD_BwE

I figured ~3ft between posts would give enough space in between.

I have that rack - used it initially with a 5ft standard barbell which has 96cm between the sleeves

fine for squats altho managed to hit my funny bone on the spotters going down once since they're so close!

for bench press only thing you can do is close grip because again the spotters are too close together, or you could use the bench at the other side but then you don't get the benefit of the spotters

Soldato
Awesome cheers.

I'm actually debating just sticking with dumbells for the time being and then possibly adding a bar down the line. If i go with loadable dumbells then i'll already have the weight plates. From some initial working i think i could manage a 6ft bar in my space which gives a little extra space.

Soldato
Spotted this on Facebook. Has anyone seen this before from Mirafit?
I spotted it on Facebook and would be perfect for me but just unsure how good/old it’d be. With only 3 uprights I wonder how strong it’d be.

I don’t have space for the full rack, but having a pulley would be very handy along with the pull up bar.

Soldato
My gut feeling is it's obviously better than nothing but unless it really is freakishly cheap and in great condition then you'd be better off just buying new stuff from them directly? Most notably this thing is missing any kind of safety/spotter arms which are a 100% must for me (working out in the garage on my own and sometimes even when nobody else is at home at all - I don't want to get trapped or badly injured)

I have the M210 half rack w/ the extra weight storage attachment and various of the other bits and pieces they do for it - very happy with it

Soldato
It's up at £130 which i felt was fairly freakishly cheap :D

It's a good point on spotter arms though, although when dealing with the weights i'll be dealing in i'm not sure they're as important as someone lifting >80kg. The addition of the pulley/pull up bar would be very beneficial. I know accidents can always happen, but i'm rarely pushing myself to the point that the last rep is difficult.

Have also picked up a pile of cheap weights. From the look of it they're the kind of steel plates which metal workers were knocking out in lockdown. It's working out around 50p per kg including a 7ft bar (165kg for £84). They are a bit rusty, but a bit of work with a wire brush and some enamel type spray paint should fix them up.

My intention is to sell the bar and either all 4 or just 2 of the 20kg plates and i figure that with a bit of effort cleaning them up i should be able to get £50 back if not a bit more.

Then just need to pick up a bench,6ft bar and dumbell handles and i'm sorted. Just need to be careful with the bar as it seems different brands reduce size from either the sleeves or the centre and taking off space from the sleeves would be better for me.

Soldato
Update, decided against it.

I'm likely to be turfed out of my office towards the end of the year. As such the weights will get moved to the shed. The above rack is too tall for the shed due to the sloped roof, and whilst the pulley would've been really good to have, it's not essential, and without attaching to the wall i'd be nervous of it toppling over!

Had found a seller on Ebay that seems to deal in Mirafit returns. They have a lot of Mirafit kit and some at a decent price. I had been eyeing up some of the 5kg thin steel plates on there which had a few marks at £30 each, however also noticed they had the adjustable Squat rack, M1 flat bench and the 6ft Olympic Bar all at a decent discount too, and by buying 5 items it got a further 5% discount.

That's me now done. Just need to pick up the shorter M3 dumbells and i'm winning!

Soldato
I finally treated myself to some new coloured bumper plates, I've been after some for a while and managed to get a decent discount so thought I'd go for it. They turned up today for me to find out that one of the 20kgs is a completely different shade of blue to the other! My OCD can't cope! :(

I don't mean to laugh :cry: but that would melt my head too :o

Soldato
I have that rack - used it initially with a 5ft standard barbell which has 96cm between the sleeves

fine for squats altho managed to hit my funny bone on the spotters going down once since they're so close!

for bench press only thing you can do is close grip because again the spotters are too close together, or you could use the bench at the other side but then you don't get the benefit of the spotters

Hey, i got the above rack and built it over lunch. Do you have any idea what the holes are at the front. I don't see any reference anywhere, but seems odd that they're there!

Also how smooth are the threads for the adjustments? There's a few where the thread doesn't feel right on mine and wondering if that's a common issue or not.

WDLUItr.png

Soldato
Threads are fine although I've only adjusted it a few times (only use it for squats)...they're quite coarse/loose feeling from I remember tho
I've not done it yet but planning to make some movable j cups/rest type things for bench press etc,

no idea on the holes, not even sure if mine has any there but imagine it's just something to do with the manufacturing process

Soldato
Yeah, i guess there's maybe another model with a front brace, or maybe it's the same as used on the main cages.

Good shout on the J Cups, that would mean i could keep the adjustable uprights fixed at the top position for squats. I'd always assumed i'd adjust each time but with the threads not feeling great, i wasn't confident on the durability.

Soldato
Also, spot the weakling who's gone for the dumbells with shorter 10cm sleeves which leaves barely enough room to add weight :p

I worked out i can fit 3x5kg plates per side which gives me a 35kg in total. That's enough for me and if i need higher then i might pick up a single longer sleeved one for things like single arm rows where the extra length is less cumbersome.

I must say you can really feel the step up in quality with these which are from the M3 range vs the lower end stuff.

euLVDg2.png

Back
Top Bottom