Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
Soldato
Its more likely due to the increased tolerances in the plates, less accuracy = cheaper to produce. Probably less durable in the long run a well.

Also likely thicker as well, so fit less on a bar etc.

Soldato
@Martynt74 any chance you could post up some information about your home made tib bar! that looks awesome.

I followed this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ74sum-QQg&ab_channel=EnkiriEliteFitness

My only changes were to use the 48mm OD pipe rather than 3/8" just because all my weight plates are 2". I ordered the stuff from Pipe Dream Fittings, they had the best postage offerings of most places that sell this stuff and couldn't find anywhere locally.

Here's my order, i've highlighted what got used for the tib bar, as the other bits were for the DIY sled.

DkwmlJ1.png

Few points
1 - I went with 150mm bar for the foot holders whereas the guy suggests 100mm, i would go with his 4" version to make it less cumbersome. Similarly with the down section, he uses 200mm whereas i went longer at 250mm, again his probably works better.
2 - I've also asked a local scaffolding guy about some 50mm foam. I'm not 100% sure whether this will make it too big and might just use some padded tape wrapped around the feet sections.
3 - Don't know why, but the threads are about 10mm longer than the inner threads meaning the pipes don't screw all the way in. Doesn't affect function but looks worse than it should
4 - If you want it to look decent i'd either wrap it all in tape, or budget for a can of spray paint, my parts have lots of scratches on. Again i imagine they're not selling to people who want things to look nice!
5 - I forgot to add a clamp to secure the top weight plate. I managed to pick one up locally, but the above company do sell them cheap (although only in galvanised finish). I tried a 2" clamp from my weights, but it slides off. Mirafit do a 48mm version though which i guess would work.

Soldato
Hey guys, I'm looking for recommendations for some home equipment. I don't have a dedicated space, so need something that can be folded away.

I'm also 6ft8, currently 27st 8lbs and have significant lower limb mobility issues after injury in 2018. I'm looking for a bench/seat that will be suitable for me and a decent set of dumbbells. Can anyone recommend something suitable for my needs? Everything I've found myself has been with a max user weight far lower than I currently weigh.

Despite continuing to lose weight I want to start now.

Soldato
Hey guys, I'm looking for recommendations for some home equipment. I don't have a dedicated space, so need something that can be folded away.

I'm also 6ft8, currently 27st 8lbs and have significant lower limb mobility issues after injury in 2018. I'm looking for a bench/seat that will be suitable for me and a decent set of dumbbells. Can anyone recommend something suitable for my needs? Everything I've found myself has been with a max user weight far lower than I currently weigh.

Despite continuing to lose weight I want to start now.
UFC Deluxe FID Weight Bench, 454 KG Max Load.

Last edited:
Soldato
Does anyone here know - Are there any half-decent lat pulldown machines for home use around the £500 mark?

Ideally to work with oly plates.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Soldato
Does anyone here know - Are there any half-decent lat pulldown machines for home use around the £500 mark?

Ideally to work with oly plates.

Dont settle for a high low lat pull down, go for one that offers the full range of positions.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime

Dont settle for a high low lat pull down, go for one that offers the full range of positions.

Agreed but you won't be able to do lat pull downs or seated rows. One requires a thigh pad the other a foot brace. I can do seated rows on mine only because I have a wall mounted pulley with no feet where I can put some big 48s to use as a foot pad.

Soldato
Agreed but you won't be able to do lat pull downs or seated rows. One requires a thigh pad the other a foot brace. I can do seated rows on mine only because I have a wall mounted pulley with no feet where I can put some big 48s to use as a foot pad.
Seated rows you can just place additional weights on the floor or dumbbells to rest against the base for foot brace. For pulldowns its a little harder but you can setup your barbell on a couple of axle stands for example and just load it up and you're good. These compromises are well worth doing for the added value of the tower over the high low only pulldown.

Soldato
I have the Primal Strength wall mounted cable station and do both low rows and pulldowns on it as well as a lot of other stuff (agree about having multiple positions being great and very useful)

Thinking about trying to DIY a thigh brace that secures itself to the same push-pin holes that the head of the cable part attaches to, but I get on okay with my pulldowns because I prefer to do them lying against an incline bench on quite a steep incline (so the pull of the cable is parallel to the back of the bench) - means I can't involve my abs or anything else in the movement and it also means I can hook my ankles around the seat of the bench adding ~50kg to my bodyweight which helps resist the pull of the cable a bit

Man of Honour
I do love that my old gym has gone up to £80+ a month. Haven’t had to buy anything for my home gym for over a year now. It’s a decent saving and way more convenient.

Associate
Associate
Does anyone also have this body solid bench?

3bb45c44e72b2c2f5671b248f99ee585.png

I received it a few days ago and quite disappointed with it. There doesn't seem to be an easy way to move it about, and there's not enough clearance at the back of a power rack to do inclines etc as the wheels get in the way.

Pretty solid bench otherwise!

Soldato
Does anyone have a Bodymax CF475 or CF485+ rack and know if third party 60x60mm spotters or J-cups will work with it?

https://mirafit.co.uk/mirafit-m2-black-60mm-safety-spotters.html
https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/strength-shop-j-hooks-pair.html

A couple of reviews state that these work well with the bodymax rack but just wanted to make sure in here.

I'd really like some spotters for incline benching outside the rack and a decent pair of J-cups!
I have a CF475, but not the J-cups but its definitely 60x60 boxed frame so i cant see why they wouldn't work with the rack.

Back
Top Bottom