Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
I would advise against it, mainly because it has very limited uses compared to alternatives and space in home gyms is usually a premium. What do you currently have setup wise?

Soldato
I would advise against it, mainly because it has very limited uses compared to alternatives and space in home gyms is usually a premium. What do you currently have setup wise?
Body-Solid Squat Rack
Mirafit Leg Raise Station
20kg 7ft oly bar
2 x oly DB
Oly EZ bar
Plyo box
Adjustable argos bench.

Looking for a cable curl/lat pulldown machine and a better quality bench to give us more options. I like the adjustable position cable machines but I don't like the lack of a seat and leg bars

Soldato
Body-Solid Squat Rack
Mirafit Leg Raise Station
20kg 7ft oly bar
2 x oly DB
Oly EZ bar
Plyo box
Adjustable argos bench.

Looking for a cable curl/lat pulldown machine and a better quality bench to give us more options. I like the adjustable position cable machines but I don't like the lack of a seat and leg bars
Have you looked for a pulley attachment for your specific rack? This might be a good place to start, as an in rack mounted one you can use your barbell with a pad as your leg bar, which is what i do with mine.

However I have a stand alone bodymax CF810 as well for all the other angles. This is where the "how much space" element comes in.

Soldato
Have you looked for a pulley attachment for your specific rack? This might be a good place to start, as an in rack mounted one you can use your barbell with a pad as your leg bar, which is what i do with mine.

However I have a stand alone bodymax CF810 as well for all the other angles. This is where the "how much space" element comes in.

My squat rack doesn't allow for an attachment unfortunately. I need a standalone machine. Space-wise, no taller than 2100mm and the footprint is roughly the size of a dining table I'm looking to get shot of in the garage

Looking for more stable mats too but they seem to be increasing in price.

Soldato
This is what I have, I picked mine up second hand for £250! Took some hunting though and a 2.5hr each way trip.

Alternatively there is a bodycraft wall mount option:

Mirafit also do one but its out of stock right now.

Another option if you really have the space is the Bodymax CF820, or other dual cable dual stack setups.

Finally, a lot of people are doing really intuitive stuff with 1 or 2 of these DIY setups:

Soldato
And to add another one to the mix mine is this one:

It's pretty solid, and I just pull my regular bench up to it... though I agree with you about having a lack of ways to lock yourself down for pulldowns. I think what I am going to do when time allows is make my own knee pad attachment for the above which secures using the same push-pin holes that the cable dolly uses, shouldn't be too difficult

Soldato
How do you guys paint your walls for your gyms? Trying to give it a more luxurious finish than the standard brick walls or white paint.
Masonry paint straight on the brick. Great finish and keeps the dust down compared to exposed brickwork. We bought white but I had some pigments to give it a slight blue tinge. It lights the place up nicely.

Soldato
Masonry paint straight on the brick. Great finish and keeps the dust down compared to exposed brickwork. We bought white but I had some pigments to give it a slight blue tinge. It lights the place up nicely.

Thanks. I've used that. Didn't like the colour that much but I think its actually my lighting ( think I've used too much direct light) which is making me not like the look of the paint/room as opposed to the actual paint. Turned one of them off and its now much better.

I probably need more diffuse light.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks. I've used that. Didn't like the colour that much but I think its actually my lighting ( think I've used too much direct light) which is making me not like the look of the paint/room as opposed to the actual paint. Turned one of them off and its now much better.

I probably need more diffuse light.
Get some gym flags / posters for your walls to help diffuse things.

Soldato
Cheers guys.

Btw, I'm selling my current setup. Looking for £850 or something for the below. All commercial grade, used only for a year by myself. I think its insane value for anyone who wants to get involved in lifting and having used a couple of brands, its 100% a step up from Mirafit and the other chinese brands in build quality IMO (altho they're also great!).

No wanted section for gym stuff on this site so for anyone interested..!

Iron King 70 Series Safety Spotters RRP £125
Iron King Bull Horn RRP £125
Iron King Landmine RRP £50
Iron King Dual Land Mine Handle RRP £60
Iron King 70 Series J Hook Set RRP £60
Iron King Hip Thrust Attachment RRP £175
Iron King Adjutsable Jammer Arms RRP £250
SR-FB 70 Fold Back Wall Mount Rack Customised 215cm (easier to do pull-ups in low garages) RRP £525
Iron King Vertical Plate & Bar Storage RRP £225
Simple pulley setup £50

Soldato
Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent adjustable bench (back and seat, not legs) that doesn’t wobble and is able to be moved reasonably easily (wheels?) literally like the bog standard ones you get in gyms?

My current one is one of those York ones with a gazillion positions that has the stability of an old man with dodgy knees.

Also, any decent places for hex dumbbells?

Soldato
Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent adjustable bench (back and seat, not legs) that doesn’t wobble and is able to be moved reasonably easily (wheels?) literally like the bog standard ones you get in gyms?

My current one is one of those York ones with a gazillion positions that has the stability of an old man with dodgy knees.

Also, any decent places for hex dumbbells?

Iron King one doesn't wabble.

Best bench I've used and own is the Watson Adjustable bencht hough.

Soldato
Thanks mate, I’ll check it out! :)

If you can afford Watson, I'd go for them. Its a fantastic bench. Otherwise I have 2 Iron King adjustable benches in my gym too which are good. I custom made upholstery to increase the pad length by 10cm, this allows it to stand upright.

kiziwe9.jpeg

Left is the Iron King bench, middle is the Watson bench. Watson is much heavier duty, has a steel plate for adjustments so it won't scatch when adjusting over time, stainless steel wheels and 3 levels of seat adjustment. Stability is best in class.

The Iron King one is lighter

BZHIvOp.jpeg
Watson Heavy duty single stack leg press custom bentley holstery and upgraded 30 plate stack.

aBZLCHC.jpeg

Watson leg curl extension custom bentley stitching + micro adjusters

o1R9w8y.jpeg

Watson bench from behind.
its in the 4 way smith machine combo + animal half rack from Watson. Stunning machine

HKFgfL0.jpeg

Just a photo of the smith and the spotter arms.

CaSN1CC.jpeg

Photo of watson dual adjustable pulley and the Leg curl/extension

Currently trying to ask them if they will make me a custom stainless steel badges I can put on my machines which say DR. AARON. Think it'll look quite nice as a finishing touch. I'm planning to stick them on the sides of the machine as a form of branding.

The smith machine/rack is in a completely utterly different class to the other brands. Its literally a tank. You cannot move it by yourself under any circumstance lol.

Soldato
@aoaaron What was the time from order to delivery like

About 4 months for the first delivery but I ordered in December where everything was busy and long waiting lists for everything (including GPUs lol). Then after that, they sorted me out with faster delivery time as I had a few bits and pieces which needed to be sorted. This was before their new factory opened though. As far as I know, wait times are significantly smaller now. A guy I know got a leg curl/extension done in a very small turnover time.

I can comfortably say the gear I've received is better than anything I've used including commercial pieces for each piece of equipment.

The pin loaded leg press is brutal.
The DAP is flexible and has a 2:1 and 1:1 ratio of a 135kg stack which is unheard of for a pulley in any commercial factility where they normally don't give the option for 1:1. This means it can do rows, lat pulldowns, flies, rear delt flies, curls, tricep extensions and leverage a true 100kg+ weight. Most machines do 2:1 which means a 100kg stack only gives you 50kg resistance.
The leg curl/extension again is just very very versatile and both movements feel so natural.
The bench as I said is best in class IMO.
The 4 way smith machine is utterly incredible. I've hated every single smith machine I've used in a gym but Watson clearly makes theirs to a much higher standard.
And the actual rack is an absolute total beast.

Then the little additions such as the natural pullup bar which just give a much more premium experience to a traditional pullup bar, the spotter arms being incredibly easy to adjust up and down and the custom upholstery just make it IMO really worth while.

I've had some issues and niggles with my order as I essentially have OCD lol.. but they've sorted it all out every time. Also for those with smaller garages, for a fee, they'll customise the equipment to your exact measurements (I couldn't fit a 237cm DAP in so asked them to make it 230cm).

Back
Top Bottom