Official Home Gym Building Thread

Soldato
So close to pulling the trigger on an air assault bike for the garage now that i've sold all the my weight equipment - was hoping for some good black friday discounts but I guess as it's still kind of a niche piece of equipment for home gyms, not much wiggle room on price to be had.

Soldato
So close to pulling the trigger on an air assault bike for the garage now that i've sold all the my weight equipment - was hoping for some good black friday discounts but I guess as it's still kind of a niche piece of equipment for home gyms, not much wiggle room on price to be had.
...and ordered, coming on Friday - got £650 from selling gym equipment so it only cost me £100 using man maths :D

Man of Honour
...and ordered, coming on Friday - got £650 from selling gym equipment so it only cost me £100 using man maths :D
Fantastic. The best kind of maths. I used similar logic to justify the purchase of a Mirafit M4 power rack. Got clearance to proceed on the basis of clearing out the garage to make room for the rack, I would sell everything to minimise the net outlay. I’m up to £38 in sales so far and I’ve spent a ridiculous amount of time dealing with Faceache marketplace merchant bankers. But the wife is happy so mission accomplished.

Last edited:
Associate
Learn something new everyday. I read your comment as assault rifle, for some reason! And was like eh?! Never heard of an assault bike but looks like a good upper and legs workout machine!

Soldato
Which one did you go for?

I went with them based on how good their rower quality was - it reviews fairly well and is belt driven. I could have saved maybe £150/200 going with a chain driven model but recommendations across a lot of different reviewers were get a belt driven model if the budget allows it.

Also the belt prevents any ghost riding, when you stop, it stops :D

I almost bought the rogue echo bike v3 but their website page went down since early Friday and that was also pushing the budget to £850+.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiE
Man of Honour
What DIY (and cheap) solutions do you use for storing weight plates in a tight space? I’d like to hang mine off the wall on short posts as hanging them on my rack would limit its use.

I looked at key clamp but 4x posts and brackets comes to around £70. I had heard table legs from screwfix were an option but I cant find any in the right size - unsurprising as their search function is terrible.

This is the space I’m working with.
YKPPAwd.jpg

Soldato
What DIY (and cheap) solutions do you use for storing weight plates in a tight space? I’d like to hang mine off the wall on short posts as hanging them on my rack would limit its use.

I looked at key clamp but 4x posts and brackets comes to around £70. I had heard table legs from screwfix were an option but I cant find any in the right size - unsurprising as their search function is terrible.

This is the space I’m working with.
You didnt try very hard to search screwfix :cry:

I use these, max load ive had on 1 leg is 60kg without any issues, and i just just standard rawlplugs and screws with some no nails in the holes first.

OaGF7pT.jpg

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You didnt try very hard to search screwfix :cry:

I use these, max load ive had on 1 leg is 60kg without any issues, and i just just standard rawlplugs and screws with some no nails in the holes first.
I searched for table leg, that explains it!

Thanks. I’ll order some now.

img

img

Associate
I've tried searching and reading through things for a while but not found exactly what i want.

In my new house there is currently a space for a gym where they had some broken laminate in there. I will be keeping as a gym and trying to decide on flooring, space is 7m x 4m and half will have bike, treadmill and rower weight bench and then rest will be for floorspace for physio /yoga which is a lot on the actual floor. What do people use for where they are doing floor work, shall i go with thicker rubber just all over 25mm to 40mm seems the options. It is in a converted building so it has radiator and windows but just brick and concrete floor so how cold the floor is a worry to me but then it needs to be comfortable and cannot have a chance of tripping so some interlocking or full width product.

Associate
Wasn't sure where to put this but will try here.

I am looking to get bigger and broader and have fixed up my diet in recent months to control protein / carbs / fats.

Next step is exercising at home to balance family life and commitments rather than going to the gym.

For a person who has never trained would it be better to do down barbell, dumbbell or kettlebell route?

What sort of kit and beginner routine is idiot proof?

This isn't to turn into Arnie but shed the belly and tone up and get bigger to fill out clothes better.

Cheers.

Soldato
Most of the weight loss will come from dieting and as far as versatility and cost/space goes then kettlebells are hard to beat along with plethora of bodyweight exercises.

Suppose would help others suggest things if know how much space you have and budget?

Soldato
Wasn't sure where to put this but will try here.

I am looking to get bigger and broader and have fixed up my diet in recent months to control protein / carbs / fats.

Next step is exercising at home to balance family life and commitments rather than going to the gym.

For a person who has never trained would it be better to do down barbell, dumbbell or kettlebell route?

What sort of kit and beginner routine is idiot proof?

This isn't to turn into Arnie but shed the belly and tone up and get bigger to fill out clothes better.

Cheers.
I would suggest compound exercises. Pullups (overhand) and squats are two easy ones to start with. A pull up bar and dumbbells/kettlebell will suffice for squats. The biggest thing is consistency over years, eating/sleeping well and exercising regularly. Setting realistic expectation too, I'd take a picture or some measurements and revisit once a year or perhaps 6 monthly. Genetics are also a factor, I'm relatively skinny but some people I've known packed on muscle at a surprising rate but were of a stockier build. You're going at it the right way though, build it into your daily routine.

Associate
Most of the weight loss will come from dieting and as far as versatility and cost/space goes then kettlebells are hard to beat along with plethora of bodyweight exercises.

Suppose would help others suggest things if know how much space you have and budget?

I have space in the garage which I decluttered for a foldable bench and weights to be left on the side and the door into the house would have the pull-up bar that tightens across.

Budget wise perhaps up to £200 give or take.

I currently have a pull-up bar from years ago that never really used and a 10kg kettlebell from yesteryear that was never touched.

@Troezar you've hit the nail on the head. Consistency will ultimately be the key hence looking for a routine setup that would enjoy doing. I am eating better and the right sort of foods and improving my sleep. Ultimate aim is shed the belly fat as not big anywhere else and pack-out in other areas like arms and shoulders.

Soldato
Quick shoutout to Primal Strength - absolute legends. I bought a wall mounted cable machine from them several years ago and it's been really good, but the pop-pin thing that is used to adjust it broke. I shot them a question on their "contact us" asking if I could buy another one or if not could they at least let me know the exact measurements so I could try and source one. They replied having looked up my order based on my name and said "is this still your address?" and a new one is in the post :D Amazing service!

Man of Honour
Decided I’ve had enough of the heat in my gym in the summer, so hoping this can punch through it:

WiFi app, so hoping it works such that I can turn it on before I leave work and will hopefully arrive home to a cooler gym (30-40 minutes of cooling). 9000BTUs for a 3x2m should do it.

Not sure how many years I’m going to get out of the roof of this thing, but it’s held up better than I ever expected. Will be a pain to repair/replace, but I wouldn’t train anywhere else.

Last edited:
Soldato
I hope it works - I did similar in our garage but it's not powerful enough to overcome the heat when it's really hot. The brick walls just kick out so much heat it's like being inside a kiln and there's no way the little portable AC can overcome that (we even bored a proper hole through the brick for the exhaust and everything). The only saving grace is that if you just blast it straight at wherever you are standing/sitting it at least feels nice and cool

Associate
Can anyone recommend a large, freestanding mirror for the home gym? It’s going to sit behind the squat rack, my garage walls are made of eco blocks so hanging anything on them is super hit and miss - and I’d also like the ability to easily move the mirror if I need to.

Back
Top Bottom