** Official Horizon: Forbidden West Complete Edition Thread **

Man of Honour
Looks good, runs good, nothing else to say.

Will be sticking with DLSS Quality here though instead of DLAA to benefit for better image sharpness/detail, shame Alex didn't compare DLSS vs FSR vs DLAA vs TAA though but this was just a preview and DF will be milking the views with separate videos for that tech overview.

Soldato
Looks good, runs good, nothing else to say.

Will be sticking with DLSS Quality here though instead of DLAA to benefit for better image sharpness/detail, shame Alex didn't compare DLSS vs FSR vs DLAA vs TAA though but this was just a preview and DF will be milking the views with separate videos for that tech overview.

I have no ideal what optimal settings are anymore. I just let the app auto set stuff usually.

Man of Honour
Most importantly, does the water look good?
The DF video only showed one area of water, which looked rather excellent:

Using planar reflections perhaps for PC would have been a better solution but it comes with a performance cost and for simply porting a game, I don't think Nixxes would go that far.

I watched the DF tech review of FW on PS5 from 2 years ago and they talk about water at:

So going by what is said there, still screen space, but massively improved with higher cube maps and water layering textures for added realism and what appears to be, on PS5, none of the typical flaws with screen space water that other games have, and which HZD has due to its bare bones water reflections.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The DF video only showed one area of water, which looked rather excellent:

Using planar reflections perhaps for PC would have been a better solution but it comes with a performance cost and for simply porting a game, I don't think Nixxes would go that far.

I watched the DF tech review of FW on PS5 from 2 years ago and they talk about water at:

So going by what is said there, still screen space, but massively improved with higher cube maps and water layering textures for added realism and what appears to be, on PS5, none of the typical flaws with screen space water that other games have, and which HZD has due to its bare bones water reflections.

Not watched the video or seen anything yet really. My question to you, is the graphics in this better than Cyberpunk from what you have seen so far?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Not really comparable as they are completely different world settings and one is an FPS, the other TPS. The water effects are better than Cyberpunk, but Cyberpunk doesn't focus on anything to do with water apart from the one quest where you dive with Judy (speaking of which I have a cool update on that ready for the Cyebrpunk thread having subjected Night City to a massive draught leading to all the water going away :p).

The lighting in HZFW is prebaked as well so interiors won't have the realtime dynamic nature that Cyberpunk does, but just like Last of Us and Uncharted 4, looks really excellent anyway because a lot of labour time has been put into making the prebaked effects look convincing.

That's really what it comes down to for as far as my enjoyment goes for graphics. Turn off path tracing and ray reconstruction in Cyberpunk, and even the normal ray tracing ultra with psycho RT lighting isn't perfect as you still get light leaking through walls and doorways, and dark areas aren't diffused properly with convincing indirect bounces. Turn off RT completely and only view the raster in Cyberpunk and you get dark areas that are glowing as if there's a light source when there isn't, and ambient occlusion is missing in many areas due to the prebaked complexity not having enough probes and labour time applied. Still looks good, but not convincingly good when we've been spoiled by path tracing and RR now.

Last of Us, Uncharted, HZFW seem to have had the man hours put into the prebaked effects t look convincingly excellent and it even shows watching the 2yr old DF video for the PS5 version of the game.

Seems to be one of those games that simply did not need a ray traced remaster is the long and short of it. Just made higher res, higher fps and superior upscaling vs the PS5.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
I watched the video. Agree with DF (always weird writing this as I work for something called the same) it looks nice but conservative was a good choice of words. Wasn't glaring differences on a lot of stuff but obviously the biggie is it was looking better and bit running at 30fps.

D3K

D3K

Soldato
Skimmed through the video, but I assume the fps can be unlocked in this? Only saw up to 60fps in the menu settings, but Alexs perf chat was showing 120.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I'll be running my oled at 3840x1620 on a 4090. Max settings or do I need to lower anything?

You are going to have to use a combination of medium to high settings I'm afraid :cry:

All jokes aside, the game is not out so how is anyone to know? Also what is your fps target? Will you be using DLSS?

Without such info no one can really answer your question properly. But if I had to have a guess I would say it won't be a problem.

Soldato
You are going to have to use a combination of medium to high settings I'm afraid :cry:

All jokes aside, the game is not out so how is anyone to know? Also what is your fps target? Will you be using DLSS?

Without such info no one can really answer your question properly. But if I had to have a guess I would say it won't be a problem.

Nobody been up early to play it yet! :cry: gonna be a long day today!

To be honest I've no idea, I'm not really a big gamer. Just the best settings overall really. Guess it's one of those things where I just set a few things and see what's what.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Nobody been up early to play it yet! :cry: gonna be a long day today!

To be honest I've no idea, I'm not really a big gamer. Just the best settings overall really. Guess it's one of those things where I just set a few things and see what's what.

Scroll up a few posts dude. It won't be out here until 3PM! ;)

Just whack everything to the highest. Make sure rubbish like motion blur and depth of field are off and give it a go and see how you get on.

Last edited:
Soldato
Scroll up a few posts dude. It won't be out here until 3PM! ;)

Just whack everything to the highest. Make sure rubbish like motion blur and depth of field are off and give it a go and see how you get on.

ah ok, thanks.....good job I didn't book the day off work, or take 1/2 day

Reactions: TNA
Back
Top Bottom