** Official Horizon: Forbidden West Complete Edition Thread **

1:10 onwards....wow, that's a good looking game
My only critique of that is the foliage, it suffers from something that I see all too often in games, whereby all the foliage moves about as if theres a gale force 10 wind going on rather than a breeze

My only critique of that is the foliage, it suffers from something that I see all too often in games, whereby all the foliage moves about as if theres a gale force 10 wind going on rather than a breeze
In Horizon they explain the reason behind that with deep and detailed lore so it makes sense.

Essentially, as a result of Aloy being a giant lesbian, she's constantly letting rip and moving space and earth.

Is this Emperor's New Clothes? That's a truly bad capture of the game/ and or youtube is butchering the footage. Crushed shadows/ blacks, way too contrasty and over saturated. Based on this video, it looks like a PS4 game (at best) that someone who knows nothing about reshade, has added a bad reshade to.
Also, the breaking waves effect and animation look very underwhelming - a 10 year old Skyrim mod I use did better.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: mrk
Played 2 hours of this now and very impressed, playing it on ultrawide 3840x1600 and got everything maxed out it looks amazing, not seen any framerate issues and gameplay is smooth.

I only put it on to try as I was going to play Dragons Dogma 2 first but now this has got me hooked already. Awesome week for games just a pity they all arrived at the same time!

Mrklol.png

Less than 15 minutes @mrk :D

I picked Normal difficulty and Explorer for the hud.

You guys?

I recall someone saying normal was too hard. Well a few people I think it was.

I picked Normal difficulty and Explorer for the hud.

You guys?

I recall someone saying normal was too hard. Well a few people I think it was.

Normal here too. The first two hours went without too much of an issue, did die once though but nothing I didn't learn from.

Lies!

Not at this time when others using network
:p

It's 117MB/s any time of the day with toob, not on a congested ISP network :cool:

It is really nice looking!

(probably won't finish processing for a few hours as it was a 55GB video lol)

My thoughts having now played the first 2 hours or so?

It's really good and I am enjoying it more than the first game which I found got tedious lol. There's more exploration in this than I recall from the first game and the visuals still have that wow factor, just even more now due to the greater level of volumetrics, water detail etc.

That is not to say that it doesn't have flaws, you can tell the engine is quite dated now as there are numerous tells that highlight the issue. Fires in the game are 2d flat layers that "face" you at all times like a gravitationally locked moon, this is kind of unnerving lol. Screen space reflections are not as annoying as in some other games, but you do still see massive flat blocks of reflections here and there and some distant reflections to obscure as you move the camera around. Not majorly like in some games (Jedi Survivor), but it's still there. @TNA asked if I thoughts the graphics looked better than Cyberpunk before, now that I've played this on max, I can say that no it doesn't look better than Cyberpunk but still maintain that they are completely different world settings and styles of game so can't really be compared back to back.

I will retract one statement though, I said I didn't think ray tracing was needed in a game like this, and this thought was based on the Digital Foundry tech preview video they posted yesterday Having now played the game and seen the visuals at 5160x2160 on OLED at high framerates etc, I can say that ray tracing would certainly benefit in this and it's a shame the PC port didn't get an update in this area. There are a lot of indoor scenes that the pre baked GI looks excellent, but in some dark areas Aloy is still lit up like there's a constant light making her brighter than the rest of the area. RTGI would have sorted this nicely. I don't recall Uncharted 4 or Last of Us having this quirk at all.

Also Aloy's hair moves like it's one big block with bendy braids as opposed to strand based hair and so on. These are all hallmarks of a console focused visual presentation to keep to a fixed performance budget, and we already knew there were no dramatic improvements for the PC release other than uncapped fps and support for upscalers etc.

Speaking of which, I can play this over 60fps at 5160x2160 without frame gen and the max GFX preset without issue, but it's just much nicer playing at the target baseline of 100fps so frame gen is turned on to get that with DLSS left on Quality.

DLAA vs DLSS, once again DLSS is better detailed:
1: https://imgsli.com/MjQ5MTE2
2: https://imgsli.com/MjQ5MTE3

Overall I am very impressed, it's fun, especially fighting the machines and the bigger boss ones, looks great as a whole and runs great. No crashes regardless of how many times I flicked between settings, resolutions, DLAA, DLSS etc etc.

Pros:
- Excellent performance whatever settings you play at
- Cinematics are top-tier
- Fighting the bigger monsters is very satisfying, moreso than the first game due to the level of screen debris and action they create
- Much much better water than the first game
- Volumetric effects are superb, or as superb
- Another game where DLAA is less sharp/detailed than DLSS Quality. I don't know why some people bum DLAA so much when it's worse fps and worse IQ lol...
- Nixxes are like the PC Port Gods

Cons:
- Some shadows to stair-step especially noticeable in cutscenes. Shadowmap resolution isn't as high as it could be
- Screen space water reflections can still do that thing because just screen space things as you move the camera, but less noticeable than in other games
- Indoor GI not always excellent as Aloy can glow sometimes when in darker areas
- By default the audio loudness is lower than expected, I checked in settings and turns out the "default" preset limits the output volume, setting it to "TV" restores normal volume. No other changes other than how loud the base volume level is so a tip worth mentioning. I am on hifi speakers for reference.

Sceens:

FhM1GJW.jpeg

DKBF13f.jpeg

q7FkPzY.jpeg

JGUoV2X.jpeg

Hb1lGwo.jpeg

qDGeZ4X.jpeg

vQM9pj1.jpg

Last edited:
Normal here too. The first two hours went without too much of an issue, did die once though but nothing I didn't learn from.

It's 117MB/s any time of the day with toob, not on a congested ISP network :cool:

It is really nice looking!

(probably won't finish processing for a few hours as it was a 55GB video lol)

My thoughts having now played the first 2 hours or so?

It's really good and I am enjoying it more than the first game which I found got tedious lol. There's more exploration in this than I recall from the first game and the visuals still have that wow factor, just even more now due to the greater level of volumetrics, water detail etc.

That is not to say that it doesn't have flaws, you can tell the engine is quite dated now as there are numerous tells that highlight the issue. Fires in the game are 2d flat layers that "face" you at all times like a gravitationally locked moon, this is kind of unnerving lol. Screen space reflections are not as annoying as in some other games, but you do still see massive flat blocks of reflections here and there and some distant reflections to obscure as you move the camera around. Not majorly like in some games (Jedi Survivor), but it's still there. @TNA asked if I thoughts the graphics looked better than Cyberpunk before, now that I've played this on max, I can say that no it doesn't look better than Cyberpunk but still maintain that they are completely different world settings and styles of game so can't really be compared back to back.

I will retract one statement though, I said I didn't think ray tracing was needed in a game like this, and this thought was based on the Digital Foundry tech preview video they posted yesterday Having now played the game and seen the visuals at 5160x2160 on OLED at high framerates etc, I can say that ray tracing would certainly benefit in this and it's a shame the PC port didn't get an update in this area. There are a lot of indoor scenes that the pre baked GI looks excellent, but in some dark areas Aloy is still lit up like there's a constant light making her brighter than the rest of the area. RTGI would have sorted this nicely. I don't recall Uncharted 4 or Last of Us having this quirk at all.

Also Aloy's hair moves like it's one big block with bendy braids as opposed to strand based hair and so on. These are all hallmarks of a console focused visual presentation to keep to a fixed performance budget, and we already knew there were no dramatic improvements for the PC release other than uncapped fps and support for upscalers etc.

Speaking of which, I can play this over 60fps at 5160x2160 without frame gen and the max GFX preset without issue, but it's just much nicer playing at the target baseline of 100fps so frame gen is turned on to get that with DLSS left on Quality.

DLAA vs DLSS, once again DLSS is better detailed:
1: https://imgsli.com/MjQ5MTE2
2: https://imgsli.com/MjQ5MTE3

Overall I am very impressed, it's fun, especially fighting the machines and the bigger boss ones, looks great as a whole and runs great. No crashes regardless of how many times I flicked between settings, resolutions, DLAA, DLSS etc etc.

Pros:
- Excellent performance whatever settings you play at
- Cinematics are top-tier
- Fighting the bigger monsters is very satisfying, moreso than the first game due to the level of screen debris and action they create
- Much much better water than the first game
- Volumetric effects are superb, or as superb
- Another game where DLAA is less sharp/detailed than DLSS Quality. I don't know why some people bum DLAA so much when it's worse fps and worse IQ lol...
- Nixxes are like the PC Port Gods

Cons:
- Some shadows to stair-step especially noticeable in cutscenes. Shadowmap resolution isn't as high as it could be
- Screen space water reflections can still do that thing because just screen space things as you move the camera, but less noticeable than in other games
- Indoor GI not always excellent as Aloy can glow sometimes when in darker areas
- By default the audio loudness is lower than expected, I checked in settings and turns out the "default" preset limits the output volume, setting it to "TV" restores normal volume. No other changes other than how loud the base volume level is so a tip worth mentioning. I am on hifi speakers for reference.

Sceens:

FhM1GJW.jpeg

DKBF13f.jpeg

q7FkPzY.jpeg

JGUoV2X.jpeg

Hb1lGwo.jpeg

qDGeZ4X.jpeg

vQM9pj1.jpg
Do you think it’s better looking than Avatar?

Cool. Will leave it on Normal. How about hud? Explorer and Pansy? :p

I meant my internal network! My ISP has their own lines and they do not share it with other networks and is far from congested, they only got here in the summer.

I could get 3GB line if I wanted for an extra £22 a month. But sod that, this is more than fast enough as it is.

It's really good and I am enjoying it more than the first game which I found got tedious lol

Good to hear. I only managed about 20 minutes of play. Liked what I saw. As I am playing with a controller I am happy with the performance I am getting. Also running maxed at 5160x2160 with DLSS on Quality with Framegen. Not tried anything else yet.

@TNA asked if I thoughts the graphics looked better than Cyberpunk before, now that I've played this on max, I can say that no it doesn't look better than Cyberpunk but still maintain that they are completely different world settings and styles of game so can't really be compared back to back.

Well, colour me not surprised :p

I do agree though completely different styles of game.

Reactions: mrk
Do you think it’s better looking than Avatar?
It's a 50/50. AVATAR has ray traced shadows and reflections so immediately has better immersion. The jungle side of both games are scarily similar though as well as volumetrics. Both games use screen space GI too and texture detail between both is about similar.

Cool. Will leave it on Normal. How about hud? Explorer and Pansy?
:p

HUD is on dynamic, I like it that way, only the health bit is showing during normal walking about etc and the rest show up as and when needed, exactly how it should be :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom