** Official Horizon: Forbidden West Complete Edition Thread **

Caporegime
Avatar is way better looking, can thank RT GI etc. for that :cool:

This does look very good though but you can easily spot the cons of them using raster in many areas. Hopefully will get some RT additions down the line.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Avatar is way better looking, can thank RT GI etc. for that :cool:

This does look very good though but you can easily spot the cons of them using raster in many areas. Hopefully will get some RT additions down the line.

You speak from personal experience there sir? You got the game :p

Caporegime
You speak from personal experience there sir? You got the game :p

Not yet, maybe tomorrow :p

Watched a few videos on it now, does look great but when you know what RT brings to the table, you can't help but notice raster limitations as mrk pointed out too.

• Haha
Reactions: TNA

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
AVATAR doesn't have RTGI though, only RT reflections and shadows :p

For me the only major thing that breaks immersion is the 2D fire in Forbidden West. Wtf were they thinking? I know it was a game originally made for PS4 but come on they could have made fire 3D for PS5...

@mrk Maybe you can just tell us which modern games you think it looks better than, or this could be a long night
:D

Hard to say, I still think Last of Us has the absolute best implementation of screen space effects so far. That game just looks so good in nearly all areas and the volumetrics are a step above all of what we are seeing today in new releases.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Caporegime
AVATAR doesn't have RTGI though, only RT reflections and shadows :p

For me the only major thing that breaks immersion is the 2D fire in Forbidden West. Wtf were they thinking? I know it was a game originally made for PS4 but come on they could have made fire 3D for PS5...

Hard to say, I still think Last of Us has the absolute best implementation of screen space effects so far. That game just looks so good in nearly all areas and the volumetrics are a step above all of what we are seeing today in new releases.

It does.

Last edited:
  • Haha

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Hmm interesting, because Ubisoft only mention RT reflections and RT shadows:

Could Alex have got that bit wrong and in fact the snowdrop engine uses Real-Time GI as opposed to Ray Traced GI? Bother are fuly capable of flooding a scene with indirect and diffuse bounce illumination and colour the bounced surface accordingly from the source material.

Caporegime

Could Alex have got that bit wrong and in fact the snowdrop engine uses Real-Time GI as opposed to Ray Traced GI? Bother are fuly capable of flooding a scene with indirect and diffuse bounce illumination and colour the bounced surface accordingly from the source material.

There was an image by ubisoft before which had RT GI also mentioned and also mentioned here:

Ray Tracing (rendering cost for Raytraced Global Illumination and Raytraced Reflections)

I'll be amazed if Alex got it wrong too given how much of a RT enthusiast he is......

Reactions: mrk

TNA

TNA

Caporegime

Let's dig in and find out shall we. Because you both played the game and one obviously doesn't quite know what's what as much as they think they do :p

Gets popcorn ready! :D

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Yeah bit weird Ubisoft are missing info then on the PC features page, although not surprising I guess given it's Ubisoft :cry:

Cool, so we can say it does indeed have raytraced GI :cool:

So yeah back to the other question, at a technical level AVATAR is the more impressive graphics showcase for sure, but Forbidden west has the better action and debris density when in the middle of said action.

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The vignette setting, I hate how harsh the inner outline is, instead of gently fading it's got a visible outline, with it off the exposure of the outdoor areas like on sand is very bright which I assume is an artistic choice, but with vignette on this is balanced out nicely which I actually like, but I don't like the harsh outline of the vignette. Will have to look through the game files to see if there's a text file that can be edited or maybe a nexus mod in coming days.

Vignette on:
5mCjogb.jpeg

Off:
twqjH6m.jpeg

Depth of field I am happy to say is done naturally, this is the kind of bokeh I see through my 35mm 1.4 lens on the DSLR, this pleases me.

fg0QQDS.jpeg

Also, if playing in exclusive fullscreen mode (you have to if using DLDSR), then don't alt+tab as when you return to the game the refresh rate and res reset and you have to put them back again. Slight annoyance but not many games get alt tabbing done right most of the time.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The vignette setting, I hate how harsh the inner outline is, instead of gently fading it's got a visible outline, with it off the exposure of the outdoor areas like on sand is very bright which I assume is an artistic choice, but with vignette on this is balanced out nicely which I actually like, but I don't like the harsh outline of the vignette. Will have to look through the game files to see if there's a text file that can be edited or maybe a nexus mod in coming days.

Vignette on:
5mCjogb.jpeg

Off:
twqjH6m.jpeg

Depth of field I am happy to say is done naturally, this is the kind of bokeh I see through my 35mm 1.4 lens on the DSLR, this pleases me.

fg0QQDS.jpeg

Also, if playing in exclusive fullscreen mode (you have to if using DLDSR), then don't alt+tab as when you return to the game the refresh rate and res reset and you have to put them back again. Slight annoyance but not many games get alt tabbing done right most of the time.

Turned all that crap off anyway. I don't alt tab much, especially if really into the game so less of an issue for me.

Back
Top Bottom