*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Associate
You know how after a while, web browsing slows down very very slightly over time, you know normally due to cookies clogging up its folder and all the usual things. Some websites seem to go a bit slower than others and some websites take a while to load no matter what time of day.

But since I've had Hyperoptic I've not noticed any slow downs, what so ever? Some favourite/bookmarked websites that used to be a bit slow on Virgin Media and BT 76Mb such websites now never take much time to load if at all. I've not cleaned my registry, cookies, temp internet files for ages now. Awesomeness :)

Fingers crossed I haven't jinxed myself by posting this message lol

Associate
Whats the best/fastest Wifi AC router for Hyperoptic? broadband only. Range is not important to me living in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Or this option may be better?
could I keep my Hyperhub as the main LAN/ethernet router, turn off its wifi, then swap out my network switch for a gigabit AC wifi router that hosts my home wifi? whilst keeping the shared network availability on the other 3 ports on my Hyperhub so the ethernet devices connected to my AC router can share with them as well?

Last edited:
Associate
This:

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lite/

I have one attached to an (aging) RT-n16 and get the full 100/100. Should work just as well with the Hyperhub :)
Very tempted to get the Pro version of that, it would look perfect on my wall, but £160 umm...
Leaning towards just using the Wifi from the Hyperhub for that mere 70Mb speed, while my PC gets 850Mb via ethernet.

Soldato
I just got a hyperoptic letter through the door saying my building us under consideration, I could cartwheel around the house im so excited!

How best to ensure this goes through?

Associate
I just got a hyperoptic letter through the door saying my building us under consideration, I could cartwheel around the house im so excited!

How best to ensure this goes through?
Contact your local Hyperoptic representative to ask him if he can give you a bunch of leaflets so you can drop them through everyone's letter box in your block. I even researched other ISP price rates, then designed and printed off my own flyer (A4 piece of standard paper lol) proving Hyperoptic are extremely good value for money compared to other ISP's.

It took about 14 months from getting that letter to being the first apartment in my block to get Hyperoptic, that's 132 apartments across 2 linked blocks.

Last edited:
Soldato
Contact your local Hyperoptic representative to ask him if he can give you a bunch of leaflets so you can drop them through everyone's letter box in your block. I even researched other ISP price rates, then designed and printed off my own flyer proving Hyperoptic are extremely good value for money compared to other ISP's.

Took about a year from getting that letter to being the first apartment in my block to get Hyperoptic, that's 132 apartments across 2 blocks.

Sounds like ive got my work cut out, but honestly their 100mb u/d package destroys the competition price and speed wise (BT/VM etc) so i can't see why people would complain.

Soldato
Exactly, spot on. Hyperoptic absolutely walks all over most other ISP's, no argument about it in the slightest.

even their 20mb package is free for 6 months and £9 a month after that. Perfect for any standard internet user and dirt dirt cheap.

Then you've got 2 levels of high end very well priced options. There is absolutely nothing that competes.

the gigabit package is the same as what i pay now for 80/20 from BT.

Last edited:
Associate
Installation booked for Wednesday, my building is supposed to go live "soon" (weeks).

I went for the 1GB broadband only package, had a special offer £45 for a year and then back to normal price (£60).

I'm just a bit worried about the installation as my PC is in a room upstairs and my understanding is that they will be installing everything downstairs next to the front door. Not sure how it will work in terms of connectivity and achievable speed from upstairs.

Caporegime
If you're getting a 1Gbit connection installed then now is the time to consider the neatest way to cable your home up. There is zero point messing around with powerline networks or Wi-Fi - you may as well drop to 100Mbps and save some cash.

Caporegime
I think they can do a fairly neat job, ultimately you'll get a white network cable stapled along the top of your skirting and passing through internal walls where necessary. Not much you can do to make it a neater job other than lifting floorboards upstairs and cutting access holes into plasterboard walls to route it around, then going back to patch it all up.

Associate
As an Electrician and with all the tools to install cables, I did most of it myself so all the Hyperoptic guy had to do inside my apartment was connect the Hyperoptic ethernet cable to their face-plate and fit the Hyperhub and test it.

From the router I've run ethernet cables to everything with a LAN socket.

Following the camera is where I've installed the ethernet cables:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwg3I1nAumM

Last edited:
Associate
mmm...here's the reponse I received:

Thank you for your email.

I regret to inform you that our service can provide only one socket per installation, it is a nature of fibre lines.
Engineer will bring additional cable if you wish to place the socket further in the flat (outside of the free 10m that you receive) and after that you can lead the line up to the second floor with the Ethernet cable if you wish to have the router on the first floor.
For any other questions feel free to contact us.

Kind regards,
Srecko

Starting to think that I might not bother with 1GB and go for 100Mb instead as there won't be an easy way to get the socket installed upstairs in my PC room (I'm the tenant and therefore have limited ability in what I can do in the flat).

Soldato
As an Electrician and with all the tools to install cables, I did most of it myself so all the Hyperoptic guy had to do inside my apartment was connect the Hyperoptic ethernet cable to their face-plate and fit the Hyperhub and test it.

From the router I've run ethernet cables to everything with a LAN socket.

Following the camera is where I've installed the ethernet cables:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwg3I1nAumM

I am sure the neighbours love the BASS!

Associate
mmm...here's the reponse I received:

Thank you for your email.

I regret to inform you that our service can provide only one socket per installation, it is a nature of fibre lines.
Engineer will bring additional cable if you wish to place the socket further in the flat (outside of the free 10m that you receive) and after that you can lead the line up to the second floor with the Ethernet cable if you wish to have the router on the first floor.
For any other questions feel free to contact us.

Kind regards,
Srecko

Starting to think that I might not bother with 1GB and go for 100Mb instead as there won't be an easy way to get the socket installed upstairs in my PC room (I'm the tenant and therefore have limited ability in what I can do in the flat).
Just explain to the owner that Hyperoptic should improve the attractiveness of the property, possibly even slightly increase the value of it. Surely if you own a property when you come to advertise it you can state the availability of 1000Mb download and upload broadband. Any broadband lover who see's that will be spanking the old monkey, or flicking the bean

Associate
I am sure the neighbours love the BASS!
Haha well, had no complaints.

Actually these walls are pretty good, got 4 layers each of thick plasterboard as well as an air cavity separating us. So unless either of us cranks up the volume its all almost a dead cemetery. If I was to close the lounge door you wouldn't notice the slight bass outside in the hallway... tried n tested! You'd think the bass would travel through the concrete floor but it doesn't, maybe the carpet condenses it.

Back
Top Bottom