*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Have switched off the wifi on my Hyperhub now that I have the Ubiquiti Unifi AC Pro
Best result so far over wifi, though its in the same room and using the short distance range of the 5Ghz channel:
1719879238.png

Associate
I'm really struggling to even touch 500Mb now lol, seem to be averaging 400, anything from 150-470, its pretty erratic though because the test on the phone only down/uploads 63MB of data so its a pretty short duration test...

edit: oops spoke too soon!
1725307674.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Yo,

Just got HO 100/100 yesterday, super happy :D

One question; is it possible to switch out the router? The online FAQ makes it sound like you have to "piggy back" through the HyperOptic hub, but the installer dude said you can just plug in the LAN cable to any old router.

If that is the case, what WAN settings do I need to use on my own router? (Asus RT-AC68).

Cheers,

Su

Associate
I think with the 100/100 you need to tweak some WAN settings on your router, it's on their website somewhere (bear in mind you need to use their router for their VOIP phone line) - I have 1000/1000 and my Archer C2600 was a plug and play replacement for the hyperoptic router.

Soldato
Hmm, this is the only thing I can find on the website:

If you are a 20 Mb, or a 100Mb customer your router needs to support /31 (255.255.255.254) subnet mask on its WAN port in order for the router to work with Hyperoptic.

Not sure what that means... don't have a phone line though, so I defs don't want to do the piggy backing thing :D

Cheers,

Su

Caporegime
That's RFC 3021 - it's a way of addressing point-to-point links without wasting a ton of IPv4 addresses. It makes sense as Hyperoptic are relatively new and won't have the same sort of address space allocated as the bigger players.

For what it's worth, you can allocate a /30 mask on a link that is using /31 at the other end, you just won't be able to communicate with what used to be the network and broadcast IP addresses and now belong to another Hyperoptic customer - which is unlikely to cause a problem for a home user connection.

Soldato
Fellow 100/100 customer. Got a RT-N16 connected directly to the Hyperoptic port. I just set the WAN to DHCP and moments later it connected. Been rock solid for the last 8 months.

Associate
VM has a monopoly here and they've been doing an absolutely terrible job of it.

Signed up to become a Hyperoptic champion, going to get the representative to send out some leaflets so I can post them through letterboxes in my flat.

Back
Top Bottom