*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Associate
Got the 100Mb package installed this week. So chuffed with it
No contract, £40 installation, £30 Quidco cashback and £38 per month. Such good value IMO. Super easy installation, engineer was on time and pleasant and made a really clean job to install the socket exactly where I wanted it, through a wall and on the other side of my flat.
We were previously with Sky and stuck with 9Mb/0.7Mb ADSL. Thank god for price rises and early contract terminations!
The best thing has the be the upload speeds and latency. Cloud backups and gaming improved massively!
6044005335.png

Test is on WiFi with my Time Capsule set up as the router and access point connected directly to the Hyperoptic socket. Was expecting this to be a pain to set up but literally just plug in and turn on DCHP on the WAN
Before the connection went live it sent me to a landing page where you would be able to order a service and be live in 15minutes! Traditional ISP's just cannot match this level of efficiency when restricted to Openreach. This would be great in rented properties. No time without internet when first moving in!

Associate
Sumanji;30493373 said:
Is anyone with an Asus router getting this warning on their router dashboard?

I'm guessing this has something to do with the way Hyperoptic handles IP addresses?

Cheers,

Su

Yeah it's down to their CGNAT which they are rolling out replacing dynamic IP's for now until they adopt IPv6 in the near future
Fortunately, most services are not IP based so you shouldn't have too many issues but it obviously depends on what you do
You can get a static IP for £5 a month if you are desperate.

Associate
zzzJonny;30497143 said:
Do servers even keep up with these speeds? Then again Netflix/iPlayer etc CDNs should.
Steam can max out pretty much any connection, I've seen it do 118 MB/s on my 1Gb Hyperoptic connection.

Associate
zzzJonny;30497143 said:
Do servers even keep up with these speeds? Then again Netflix/iPlayer etc CDNs should.
I play Star Citizen, its patcher used to use the google servers and now uses amazon servers, both seem to give the same speeds.

A 31 GB patch took about 7 minutes to download at 5:15pm thats an average of 600Mbps, I noticed it held steady frequently at 103-109MB/sec and noticed a 112MB/sec spike for a second.

For comparison sake I just did a speedtest as well:
6049867844.png

So when I saw 109MB/sec the game patcher was maxing out my Hyperoptic.

Londoners seem to get the best speeds. It seems I'm routed from Birmingham, to Manchester, to London rather than just Birmingham to London.

Associate
I play Star Citizen, its patcher used to use the google servers and now uses amazon servers, both seem to give the same speeds.

A 31 GB patch took about 7 minutes to download at 5:15pm thats an average of 600Mbps, I noticed it held steady frequently at 103-109MB/sec and noticed a 112MB/sec spike for a second.

For comparison sake I just did a speedtest as well:
6049867844.png

So when I saw 109MB/sec the game patcher was maxing out my Hyperoptic.

Londoners seem to get the best speeds. It seems I'm routed from Birmingham, to Manchester, to London rather than just Birmingham to London.

That's interesting; I'm in Manchester and note that there's around three different routes my traffic might take: GTT (and this typically heads down to London), Cogent (again, down to London) or via IX Manchester to routes there - particularly the Cloudfare CDN, Ja.net peering (so mirrorservice.org hops onto Janet in Manchester and down to Kent that way) plus Apple and Akami as well.

Although my minimum ping is up from 1msec to around 9msec thanks to the new CGNAT equipment, this is despite me having a static IP.

Associate
So BT have decided to raise the broadband price by £2 (nothing horrendous) but that would make my ADSL (!) broadband £41/month. Hyperoptic have just finished installing in my building and they're offering mental speeds up to 1gb... That aside I was eyeing up the 100mb line at £28/month - already a massive increase over BT's options for significantly less.

Now I seem to recall people saying their wifi isn't great, but how bad could it be if the stated speed is 100mb? Has to be betetr than BT's ADSL line, despite their superhub 4 thingy (which they keep saying is the best for wifi)?

A hard ethernet connection is pretty much out of the question unfortunately.

Any thoughts on hyperoptic?

Caporegime
Other than their attitude to IPv6 which can at best be described as 'meh' - and the fact you'll need to buy a static IP if you don't want to be stuck with CGNAT (factor this into the total price as CGNAT really doesn't work well), then they are excellent.

Associate
Yeah it's down to their CGNAT which they are rolling out replacing dynamic IP's for now until they adopt IPv6 in the near future
Fortunately, most services are not IP based so you shouldn't have too many issues but it obviously depends on what you do
You can get a static IP for £5 a month if you are desperate.
Just spent ages trying to work out why my Plex won't connect remotely to my new NAS, until I checked my public IP and realised something was iffy. God damn CGNAT :( Looks like I'll be calling up tomorrow then.... Still one of the best services in the UK though

Associate
I have an asus ac87u router and ive placed the hyperhub router BEHIND the asus one (Lan port to Lan port) but the voip wont work, the hyperhub also doesnt seem to be picking up internet connectivity from my asus router.

Has anyone or Does anyone know how to bridge the hyperhub behind another router and get voip to work?

Any help is much appreciated

Back
Top Bottom