*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Associate
I did some more practical testing. I've added an additional IP to my existing server. No change, the issue is still there. Then I ordered a new identical server in the same data center, the issue is still there. Hetzner also has it's own download test file, I tried it and the speed was fine: https://speed.hetzner.de/1GB.bin . This makes it even more confusing.

So the only 2 remaining possibilities now are:
  • Hyperoptic has serious peering issues with Hetzner
  • Hyperoptic is throttling me to (a part of) Hetzner network
Incidentally, when you did those download tests from my server, was any one of them by just using Hyperoptic broadband? Unfortunately I personally don't know anyone who has Hyperoptic broadband to narrow this down to the final answer.

EDIT: I just got an account on IPVanish and tested with their NL based SOCKS5 proxy, the average sustained speed was about 90 MB/s. I still don't know who to blame, but I suspect Hyperoptic is at fault here.

Interesting that the hetzner speedtest server returns wildly differing results to your server. Does a traceroute to speed.hetzner.de return the same route as a traceroute to either of your hetzner servers? (Differing only at the very very end?)

~cw

~cw

Associate
I did some more practical testing. I've added an additional IP to my existing server. No change, the issue is still there. Then I ordered a new identical server in the same data center, the issue is still there. Hetzner also has it's own download test file, I tried it and the speed was fine: https://speed.hetzner.de/1GB.bin . This makes it even more confusing.

So the only 2 remaining possibilities now are:
  • Hyperoptic has serious peering issues with Hetzner
  • Hyperoptic is throttling me to (a part of) Hetzner network
Incidentally, when you did those download tests from my server, was any one of them by just using Hyperoptic broadband? Unfortunately I personally don't know anyone who has Hyperoptic broadband to narrow this down to the final answer.

EDIT: I just got an account on IPVanish and tested with their NL based SOCKS5 proxy, the average sustained speed was about 90 MB/s. I still don't know who to blame, but I suspect Hyperoptic is at fault here.

Yeah, "curl on my Win10 PC" was direct. Drop me a line in the messages and we can run more tests.

Testing just now, Hetzner's speedtest gave me pretty much full speed, your server looked like it was capping out at about 37 MB/sec. There could be a number of factors for this, including issues on Hetzner's side. Are you VPS/VDS or physically dedicated server? What do Hetzner promise in terms of bandwidth? Have you perhaps hit a soft cap and they're throttling your network uplink? Have you asked them about slow speeds?

Doing two MTRs, for speed.hetzner.de once the connection peers with Hetzner in Paris, it goes to Nuremberg and hits their server. For your server, it hits Paris, then Nuremberg, then goes to Falkenstein. ICMP indicates core24.fsn1.hetzner.com is quite a lossy link, however this is not necessarily scientific given that they may simply be deprioritising ICMP.

Dropped you a message with the traces... Hetzner may have an issue with their FSN switch, nobody is immune to line card faults or reduced capacity, and they might not have notified their customers. Most people would never notice except us hyperfast geeks :)

btw your server is over IPv4; speed.hetzner.de for me defaults to IPv6 though I can force to IPv4. I would enable IPv6 on your server if possible so you can do dual-stack testing, you might find IPv6 actually gives you better speeds particularly during peak hours. In the past I've noticed significant speed differences to the same server depending on protocol. Not saying that is what's making the difference this time, but I've noticed it make differences for certain services and popular stuff like Netflix in the past.

~cw

~cw

Associate
Signed up for the BF deal for 150mb at £23 a month, install next week. Beyond excited to move away from Sky...

Once you have 150 you will want 500. I would ring and ask to upgrade ;)

Also if you do any gaming on console which relies on PAT with direct peer-to-peer communication, use anything like SIP or ever want to host anything on your line, you will need a static IPv4 which is £5 per month, otherwise your IPv4 is all CG-NAT.

Soldato
Got sent the new Nokia Hyperhub router. It is terrible.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...-hyperoptic-launch-nokia-hyperhub-router.html

I don't understand how they can take such good hardware and butcher it. It just regularly switches between full speed at wifi and nothing. Makes playing games impossible and even streaming video can be affected by the cutouts.

Gonna go back to my eero router which was solid across 5ghz ac.

The 4x4 antenna setup of the Nokia Hyperhub should eat the eero for breakfast but doesn't.

At below £60 (black friday) for I can recommend the eero router. It's just solid, I've had it for a year and the app is now very good.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/eero-mesh-...?dchild=1&keywords=eero&qid=1606499652&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Associate
Have HyperOptic started offering their services to individual homes?

On their map I can see a lot of individual properties located in my surrounding streets listed over there.

Caporegime
They have installed GPON services to some new build sites, I don't think they've gone as far as installing to individual homes where digging is required.

Associate
Got sent the new Nokia Hyperhub router. It is terrible.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...-hyperoptic-launch-nokia-hyperhub-router.html

I don't understand how they can take such good hardware and butcher it. It just regularly switches between full speed at wifi and nothing. Makes playing games impossible and even streaming video can be affected by the cutouts.

Gonna go back to my eero router which was solid across 5ghz ac.
A newbie question.

I just signed up and am waiting for installation. I too have a multi-mesh Eero set up which I want to keep. Just to be clear, So I won’t have to use the Nokia (which they are providing for free)? unlike ADSl or Virgin, no need for a modem? Can I just plug the ethernet cable from HO directly to my switch box ?

Last edited:
Soldato
A newbie question.

I just signed up and am waiting for installation. I too have a multi-mesh Eero set up which I want to keep. Just to be clear, So I won’t have to use the Nokia (which they are providing for free)? unlike ADSl or Virgin, no need for a modem? Can I just plug the ethernet cable from HO directly to my switch box ?

Will work with eero. Plug straight into the back of the box from the wall.

Associate
Hi all,

Has anyone had issues with bandwidth? I am unable to play any online games as it will lag and my character will jump around.

The reason I think it's bandwidth as speed test results are always fine. Granted I'm only on the 50Mb package but it still should be more than enough for online gaming and Discord voice chat etc.

I'm also using an older Tilgin router - Google tells me some people have had issues with these ones and have better performance with the newer ZTE router.

Also, anyone know how Hyperoptic is set up in apartment complexes? Is it possible that there are too many people using it and there is not enough capacity?

Caporegime
It’s far more likely you’re suffering because of the CGNAT. Phone them up and pay £5 for the static IP option. If it doesn’t help then take it off again.

Soldato
Apparently Hyperoptic were out today doing a survey of my building. They need at least 30% of residents to express interest before they'll go ahead but apparently the installation itself should be quite straightforward. Hopefully with the increase in WFH people will be keen for it, our speeds here are fairly naff and mine has dropped from 38Mbps to 32Mbps since I moved in.

Associate
Hi all,

Has anyone had issues with bandwidth? I am unable to play any online games as it will lag and my character will jump around.

The reason I think it's bandwidth as speed test results are always fine. Granted I'm only on the 50Mb package but it still should be more than enough for online gaming and Discord voice chat etc.

I'm also using an older Tilgin router - Google tells me some people have had issues with these ones and have better performance with the newer ZTE router.

Also, anyone know how Hyperoptic is set up in apartment complexes? Is it possible that there are too many people using it and there is not enough capacity?
So I added static IP to my package and also got them to send me a ZTE router, still get the same problem.

Speed tests are fine still, but while gaming I am getting lag spikes and packet loss. Hyperoptic support say they can't find anything wrong with my connection after running "in-depth diagnostic tests". Not sure what to do next apart from phoning them up again.

Soldato
So I added static IP to my package and also got them to send me a ZTE router, still get the same problem.

Speed tests are fine still, but while gaming I am getting lag spikes and packet loss. Hyperoptic support say they can't find anything wrong with my connection after running "in-depth diagnostic tests". Not sure what to do next apart from phoning them up again.

I assume you’re running hard wired into the router?

Associate
Hiya, I am moving to a flat that has Hyperoptic available next month.

Looks like running an ethernet from the socket or router to where my desk wont be possible.

I have used in the past Velop mesh systems. Router > Velop in HUB mode then connect a second node to the main hub and wired from that to PC (I don't have a wifi card) anyone done anything similar with the Velop WIFI 6 or the Orbi WIFI 6?

I am looking at WIFI 6 purely for the speed connection between the nodes.

Am I missing any glaring errors or useful things to note with this proposed set up? Aware I can bypass using the hyperoptic modem all together and plug either the Orbi or Velop directly into the hyperoptic plug, same question I suppose anything I really need to be aware of?

Thanks

Associate
Hiya, I am moving to a flat that has Hyperoptic available next month.

Looks like running an ethernet from the socket or router to where my desk wont be possible.

I have used in the past Velop mesh systems. Router > Velop in HUB mode then connect a second node to the main hub and wired from that to PC (I don't have a wifi card) anyone done anything similar with the Velop WIFI 6 or the Orbi WIFI 6?

I am looking at WIFI 6 purely for the speed connection between the nodes.

Am I missing any glaring errors or useful things to note with this proposed set up? Aware I can bypass using the hyperoptic modem all together and plug either the Orbi or Velop directly into the hyperoptic plug, same question I suppose anything I really need to be aware of?

Thanks
Can you clarify why it won't be possible?

Associate
Can you clarify why it won't be possible?

Nothing overly complex just #1 its a rental property so have to be reasonable about running cables. The Hyperoptic socket is by the front door already and my desk will be either in the 2nd bedroom or in the lounge, pretty decent sized warehouse conversion so just a few walls and decent amount of distance in the way.

I am yet to raise it directly with the landlord (if they give the ok to get a spark in and run the cables nicely as I'll probably ham fist it) this is kind of a worse case scenario planning.

Soldato
After what feels like (and has been) an awfully long time, Hyperoptic have told the factors for my building that they'll be ready to start their installation next week. Truly cannot wait to be rid of 32Mbps FFTC and onto 1Gbps FTTP.

Has anyone on here been through the same recently i.e. having Hyperoptic installed to a property where you already live? How long after the installation is complete can you order, and is it just a case of waiting for it to become available on the website? Anything else to be aware of?

Also, are they quite strict on where the router/equipment can go? From the website it says they'll usually install everything near the front door providing there's a socket there (which there is) but that seems like a terrible place for it and I'd rather have the equipment installed in my spare room/office so I can run a cable direct to my PC, and then get another cable run from there into my living room. Is that something they're generally able to facilitate?

Back
Top Bottom