*** Official Hyperoptic Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
My experience is several years (and two moves) old now but shares many similarities. I had a year of BT before Hyperoptic was available. Don't remember the exact timeframes but that wait from the announcement that it had all been agreed with building management to actually ordering seemed like an eternity. Sorry I can be more specific. I do remember the order and install dates being pretty close.

On the day of installation I had the technician run the cable the length of the entrance hall to a coat cupboard that had telephone master socket, TV distribution etc. I think there was a limit of 5m of cable or something like that but the guy said they'd do anything that was reasonable.

Soldato
My experience is several years (and two moves) old now but shares many similarities. I had a year of BT before Hyperoptic was available. Don't remember the exact timeframes but that wait from the announcement that it had all been agreed with building management to actually ordering seemed like an eternity. Sorry I can be more specific. I do remember the order and install dates being pretty close.

On the day of installation I had the technician run the cable the length of the entrance hall to a coat cupboard that had telephone master socket, TV distribution etc. I think there was a limit of 5m of cable or something like that but the guy said they'd do anything that was reasonable.

Great thanks, all sounds fairly straightforward. Hopefully they won't mind drilling a couple of extra holes in a wall to get the cable where I want.

Associate
I'm considering upgrading my speed from 150mb to 500mb on the flash sale for £30 a month, I'm just wondering when the deal runs out in two years, if there is another sale, can take advantage of that instead of going onto the new contract of £50 a month?

Soldato
Sorry to sound thick but what are the benefits of going past say 150mbps?

Our town is one of three in West Wales having FTTP installed and just wondered if it's worth looking into.

Associate
Sorry to sound thick but what are the benefits of going past say 150mbps?

Our town is one of three in West Wales having FTTP installed and just wondered if it's worth looking into.
Er, pretty obvious, no? Being able to download faster than 150 Mbps. A 500 GB file downloading about 8x as fast with gigabit. Plus actually useable upload speeds. Again obviously very useful if you ever need to upload large files for work, backups, etc.

Soldato
Er, pretty obvious, no? Being able to download faster than 150 Mbps. A 500 GB file downloading about 8x as fast with gigabit. Plus actually useable upload speeds. Again obviously very useful if you ever need to upload large files for work, backups, etc.

Yeah sure. I get the up and down speeds. Just wondered if it was worth it for day to day stuff - TV streaming and gaming.

Caporegime
150Mbps symmetrical is a great connection and there won't really be anything you can't do with it. If you play games that come with big patches and want to download them quickly on release day then you would see the value in going for something like 500Mbps

Associate
Yeah sure. I get the up and down speeds. Just wondered if it was worth it for day to day stuff - TV streaming and gaming.
Well that depends entirely how many concurrent 4k streams you need and how quickly you need to download new game content or whether you play games with huge updates.

Soldato
Had workmen in the past few days running fibre cables through the voids in my building and out to boxes to outside the door of each flat, great to finally see a sign things are progressing.

Soldato
Tomorrow is the big day for me. Had enough of SKY, a right rip off for the snail slow 46/15 speed I was getting. Was costing me £44 for that rubbish. Been registered for 4 months awaiting it to go live in my area, last week was that time and tomorrow is installation day. 1gb up & down, no limits, 18 month contract, £25 a month, no installation fee and a £25 voucher with Toob. Engineers came out this afternoon, ran the cable to my property from the pavement, did some prep work and are due back again at 8am in the morning to finish.

I cant wait.

Soldato
Insane this is. 945mb up and down. Sweet baby jesus.

tenor.gif

What's your ping to 1.0.0.1 and 9.9.9.9 and bbc.co.uk just to rub it in?

Soldato

To all of them? Either way, very nice. We have OpenReach FibreFirst coming between April 2022 and 2025... I always keep my ear to the ground as moving is infeasible unfortunately, but I'd kill for symmetric fibre. I host a lot of servers and have redundant offsite backups, so I could really use the bandwidth and low latency. Enjoy it my man, you're lucky.

Soldato
To all of them? Either way, very nice. We have OpenReach FibreFirst coming between April 2022 and 2025... I always keep my ear to the ground as moving is infeasible unfortunately, but I'd kill for symmetric fibre. I host a lot of servers and have redundant offsite backups, so I could really use the bandwidth and low latency. Enjoy it my man, you're lucky.

Morning there. Yes pretty much, that was average time to all of them, I can't remember which ones but 2 of the ping tests had a 3ms response as it's quickest.

Soldato

It's changed how I work MASSIVELY. I'd often spend days driving up the M4 to a couple of DCs to copy up virtual machines and the like - now, I just copy them as if I was sat next to the servers. I've a few Mac Minis that I use for VM labs, as well as it linking to Azure and our office. Same for the offsite backups - I've about 15Tb of online backup stuff, it just runs away in the background and I just don't think about it.

The only problem I had recently was sending some links to a bunch of our sales people in a small branch site. They all downloaded it at once and broke their internet connection for the site as their trunk got flooded.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom