****** Official IL-2 Sturmovik: Battle of Stalingrad ******

Soldato
Yep, trackIR was fantastic and a true game changer when I've tried it for the first time, but my first IL2 experience in Oculus was mind blowing. Although, having said that, I could picture myself going back to trackIR and enjoying it, but absolutely definitely would not go back to pre-trackIR days - not sure if that means anything or not :)

What card do you run your oculus with???

Soldato
Have you tried War Thunder in VR? That thing runs at 90fps without any problems. Shame I can't stand its physics, damage modelling and (the least of its evils) microtransactions.
Abstracting away from WT, DCS and IL2 are really good in VR, I agree. Can't believe you hated TrackIR though, I honestly would not go back to flight sims if it and VR were somehow to dissppear, I'd just play something else - driving sims, fps, whatever...

I could never get over the fact that I was moving my head but still having to focus on the screen, just really didn't like it tbh.

Yeah gave WT a fair go in vr but only on the DK2 as I can't bring myself to play it anymore after about 2600 hours. It looked good but it's just far too the other side of casual to use as a sim, il2 is pretty much as low in complexity as I'm happy going, and only because it looks so good while doing it.

Soldato
I've read that moving eyes like you do with trackir is actually quite healthy, but fair enough :)
Yeah gave WT a fair go in vr but only on the DK2 as I can't bring myself to play it anymore after about 2600 hours.
That's a lot of hours! :) I'll give it another go sometime if it kept your attention this long and our sim tastes seem similar. Maybe WT is better than I gave it credit for.

Soldato
I've read that moving eyes like you do with trackir is actually quite healthy, but fair enough :)

That's a lot of hours! :) I'll give it another go sometime if it kept your attention this long and our sim tastes seem similar. Maybe WT is better than I gave it credit for.

Tbh I still move my eyes in vr rather than just my head but felt while I was looking at a screen it broke my immersion rather than improved it!

Tbh the reason I played so many hours is 1) I was single at the time and did nothing else with my free time except play WT and 2) the ocuk squad at the time was an absolute blast to play with, but we all pretty much ditched it at the same time as they kept nerfing various aircraft for no reason other than 'secret documents' that the devs wouldn't divulge.

In the days before steam I probably spent the same amount of hours if not more on il2 1946, falcon 4.0, and all the 90's microprose Sims each

Soldato
Tbh I still move my eyes in vr rather than just my head but felt while I was looking at a screen it broke my immersion rather than improved it!

Tbh the reason I played so many hours is 1) I was single at the time and did nothing else with my free time except play WT and 2) the ocuk squad at the time was an absolute blast to play with, but we all pretty much ditched it at the same time as they kept nerfing various aircraft for no reason other than 'secret documents' that the devs wouldn't divulge.

In the days before steam I probably spent the same amount of hours if not more on il2 1946, falcon 4.0, and all the 90's microprose Sims each
Very nice selection of sims! IL2:1946 was something that I was comparing WT against a few years ago, with IL2 winning hands down overall. If you ever get to organise a squad again (preferably not WT, unless I'll be single by then of course:D), please do let me know.

Yeah my 980ti even at 1500/8000 isn’t going to come close to a 1080ti
Like I said, for single screen gtx970 was coping admirably @QHD, for VR IL2 is very cpu limited from what I understand. Your quicker cpu may actually give you similar/better results to mine, as you gpu is no slouch at all. But if you've never tried IL2, I'd say try it without VR first - preferably with freetrack (although Boycey here disagrees:))

Soldato
Very nice selection of sims! IL2:1946 was something that I was comparing WT against a few years ago, with IL2 winning hands down overall. If you ever get to organise a squad again (preferably not WT, unless I'll be single by then of course:D), please do let me know.

Like I said, for single screen gtx970 was coping admirably @QHD, for VR IL2 is very cpu limited from what I understand. Your quicker cpu may actually give you similar/better results to mine, as you gpu is no slouch at all. But if you've never tried IL2, I'd say try it without VR first - preferably with freetrack (although Boycey here disagrees:))

Nah I'd encourage people to at least try it, just because I don't like it doesn't mean it's not a good thing.

Can't remember if there's coop or not added in this latest patch but if there is I'll have to give you a shout, I don't get a huge amount of time to play but can probably sort something out

Soldato
Can't remember if there's coop or not added in this latest patch but if there is I'll have to give you a shout,
Suonds good) I'm in the middle of all sorts of deadlines (hence the procrastination on these lovely forums:)) but weekends should be good. I think the coop is there, but it needs missions that were made for it.

Soldato
I see this is 66% off currently on steam. Im a novice with flight sims although i used to fly a fair bit on Arma 3 koth with the jets and planes.

I currently have an x52pro with track ir.

How is this game now ? Does it have a fully fledged single player mode (so i can practice) ?

Is the online matchmaking side any good ?

I remember buying this a couple of gears ago and refunded it. It just left me feeling a bit meh to be honest .

Soldato
I see this is 66% off currently on steam. Im a novice with flight sims although i used to fly a fair bit on Arma 3 koth with the jets and planes.

I currently have an x52pro with track ir.

How is this game now ? Does it have a fully fledged single player mode (so i can practice) ?

Is the online matchmaking side any good ?

I remember buying this a couple of gears ago and refunded it. It just left me feeling a bit meh to be honest .

Theyve fleshed out the campaigns a fair bit, I'd be quite happy playing single player only.

Not tried online in ages so cant comment on that

I think its worth the £14, but then I've got battle of moscow too which adds extra content.

Soldato
Been loving this in VR again, think its probably one of the smoothest and best looking sims in VR, plus 'normal' mode for those who just want to get fighting.

Caved a few weeks ago and bought the bodenplatte expansion, looks like i'll enjoy all the bonus aircraft instead of just a couple of them.

Associate
Been away on a holiday so late reply, but the thing with Cliffs is it has massive amounts of pop-up. If team fusion sorts it out then it could a super sweet alternative to IL2:Stalingrad and DCS (with inferior physics of course, but CLoD has some advantages too).

You'll never see anything like this in IL2:Stalingrad, DCS or Rise of Flight.

Very nice video Borsch.
I just installed IL2 Cliffs of dover "Blitz Edition". Just trying to get my head around assigning controls to Hotas...

Back
Top Bottom