*** Official Kinect Thread ***

Man of Honour
Picking mine up tomorrow from the 4 letter purple place :D

Having it a 2min walk from my office is proving very expensive....I know online and supermarkets are cheaper BUT...2min walk..impulse buying!

Soldato
Got mine last night and have just been having a proper play now. Hugely impressed overall, the voice recognition in particular seems to work flawlessly but watching the kinect scan your entire body in fitness evolved it truly jaw dropping!

It scans your entire body? does it pick up any abnormalities / potential health problems?

It scans your entire body? does it pick up any abnormalities / potential health problems?

This is why Kinect is going to sell so well, people think it's 'magic' ! :p

If I get one I'm going to place a paper over it when it's not in use
scared.gif

Last edited:
Soldato
Will hopefully be picking this up today :)

Did amuse me though, witnessed some people using the demo box in a shop and it honestly looked like a chimp had just discovered his reflection for the first time :D

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Now it's out and NDA has terminated...

It's brilliant!! Had mine since 31st August :D

First few weeks I thought it was utter tosh, VERY temperamental, the games were slow and laggie and trying to just get it to recognize movement was abysmal (the voice recognition worked flawlessly though).

Throughout September, updates to the software and firmware were a regular occurrence, and as time went on things started to improve dramatically.

We've had to perform a shed load of tests; wearing bright/dark clothes, clothes that match the background of the wall, having people jump in front of the controller, moving fast, all sorts and it's worked flawlessly.

First few weeks there was lag, as of the last update at the end of October I've experience NO lag at all PROVIDING it's calibrated properly (you'll receive a little card with a face on it that you position at various distances, I strongly advise you to get this working to perfection for ultimate experience).

Hardware wise it's rock solid, it feels a damn good piece of kit. The motor is quiet, the cable long.

For anyone with the non-slim XBox360's - you'll need a spare power outlet. Those with the new slim ones, it just plugs into the back.

Only thing that is a pain is selecting something/clicking. You need to keep you hand still over an icon, hold it there for a few seconds while a 'spinner' icon goes around and that activates the click.

Overall, impressive, VERY impressive.

How it will compare to a Wii - hardware wise I think it's better but as I've said for years - it's the software that powers the hardware, yet again the software industry is armed with a great piece of hardware, let's hope and pray they don't ruin it.

YES you do need some space, but you do NOT need a huge amount of space. I've tested it in a small bedroom and providing it can see the floor and has about 6-8 foot of space behind you, you'll be fine. But, bigger is better, especially for MP action.

Games:
Kinect Adventure - I personally enjoy it, good fun.
Kinect Sports - It's incredible fun, but not really my cup of tea.
Joyride - LOVE IT!!! Great fun and definately can't way to have some MP action with this.

Soldato
OP
<snip>Good Feedback, lucky sod getting one for free!</snip>
Games:
Joyride - LOVE IT!!! Great fun and definately can't way to have some MP action with this.

I am not sure about Joyride, my 4 year old loves driving games, as do I, so was thinking about this, but the reviews are abysmal from gaming sites.. namely that it's too hard to control etc, but a few people who have actually played it now say it's pretty OK..

I've got Kinect Sports/Kinectimals coming anyway, not sure whether I should get Joyride, is it comparable to Mario Kart/Excite Truck on the Wii?

Associate
Now it's out and NDA has terminated...

It's brilliant!! Had mine since 31st August :D

First few weeks I thought it was utter tosh, VERY temperamental, the games were slow and laggie and trying to just get it to recognize movement was abysmal (the voice recognition worked flawlessly though).

Throughout September, updates to the software and firmware were a regular occurrence, and as time went on things started to improve dramatically.

We've had to perform a shed load of tests; wearing bright/dark clothes, clothes that match the background of the wall, having people jump in front of the controller, moving fast, all sorts and it's worked flawlessly.

First few weeks there was lag, as of the last update at the end of October I've experience NO lag at all PROVIDING it's calibrated properly (you'll receive a little card with a face on it that you position at various distances, I strongly advise you to get this working to perfection for ultimate experience).

Hardware wise it's rock solid, it feels a damn good piece of kit. The motor is quiet, the cable long.

For anyone with the non-slim XBox360's - you'll need a spare power outlet. Those with the new slim ones, it just plugs into the back.

Only thing that is a pain is selecting something/clicking. You need to keep you hand still over an icon, hold it there for a few seconds while a 'spinner' icon goes around and that activates the click.

Overall, impressive, VERY impressive.

How it will compare to a Wii - hardware wise I think it's better but as I've said for years - it's the software that powers the hardware, yet again the software industry is armed with a great piece of hardware, let's hope and pray they don't ruin it.

YES you do need some space, but you do NOT need a huge amount of space. I've tested it in a small bedroom and providing it can see the floor and has about 6-8 foot of space behind you, you'll be fine. But, bigger is better, especially for MP action.

Games:

Cheers for this mate nice review :) I want it evan more now!!

Games im getting when it turns up is Kinect Adventure i know it comes in the bundle and dance Central, Iv downloaded the demo of Joyride so ill be checking that out and ill be getting Sports next week:)

~J~

~J~

Soldato
I am not sure about Joyride, my 4 year old loves driving games, as do I, so was thinking about this, but the reviews are abysmal from gaming sites.. namely that it's too hard to control etc, but a few people who have actually played it now say it's pretty OK..

Thing is, and this may be sarcastic but it's not, it's down to personal taste.

As a 'fun arcade driving game', it's brilliant. It's nothing like NFS, Blur, Burnout. There's no acceleration or brake, just move your hands, lean to perform tricks, pull back with your arms and push forward to boost. It's a mini-workout I guess.

It does take some practice to get use to the controls, and my major criticism is the same as the Wii and what I'm dreading will happen - that these types of games will just get raped and ruined because it is tiring after a while and you do need a break (holding your arms in the air for a long period of time is tiring for anyone, let alone a 4 year old).

It's fun, nothing serious, just good fun.

Associate
Just got mine delivered. In a way I was kind of hoping it wouldn't get delivered until later in the day. That way I could actually get some work done first.....oh well :)

Soldato
it looks good and as soon as microsoft release a playboy mansion game using kinect
I'll get one!

Imagine playing within the playboy mansion running around like hugh lol

Soldato
Despite preordering July 23rd from a well known but rubbish online store I've been told I'll be getting it next week sometime. They've dispatched Kinectimals and Dance Central though; great :/ I'm away for a week now though so I guess it's not too bad though it would have been nice to play with it today and I did get it for £134.99 incl. Ubisoft Total Fitness.

Question though, if I'm out when it's delivered how long will the sorting office hold it for? Is it a week, or longer?

And great review J! I'm really getting tempted by Joyride though I might wait a bit and see if it drops in price. I'm also tempted by Sonic but my spidey sense is telling me to stay clear.

Back
Top Bottom