*** Official Kodi (née XBMC) Thread ***

After trying many boxes I've settled on 2. One for main room and one for the back room . I have shield tv and fire 4k box.

Shield is the better of the 2 devices , better ui , better remote, voice search works with more apps.

The fire tv is still very very good, and does amazon which the shield doesn't . It's also cheap and easy to actually find and buy, those can't be said of the shield.

The shield availability thing is crazy right now. It's like when apply tv 2 started trading for daft money. I'm sure once the switch is out and available in numbers they will go back to how it was.

Not surw what environments your fire sticks are in but I've used mine literally all day with zero issues :confused:

There is nothing above my amp so it does get a decent amount of cool air around it though.

Just came across Kodi, installed it on our Windows PC but not keen on the interface. What is the best or top builds for someone who wants to use Amazon Prime, Netflix, other ondamnd channels like channel 4 and ITV? Not interested in live streams or illegal films. Just want a nice simple to user interface the other half can use with a USB remote. A photo slideshow while not in use is a bonus.

You can mod the interface quite heavily, and there are tons of skins.

I use minimalism, but Aeon Nox is very popular. Too fancy for my liking.

You can easily setup a photo slideshow in settings in about 30 seconds.

On basic kodi for android, is there a way for it to not scrape all the sources every time it doesnt find a link. Drives me nuts waiting for the links all to be refreshed. I wish it would just bring back up all the sources as they were just before I tried one.

Guys I'm running openelec 6.0.3 on an SSD 128gb, I have always been able to update by putting the relevant tar in the update folder in userdata. When trying to update to 7.0 I'm getting "size check failed" when I reboot the machine. Googling suggests my partitions are too small however I don't have any partitions, I noticed within Kodi there is a sda1 and sda2, 1 is only 230mb which I suspect is the problem, I'm not sure how to expand this partition? I deleted all partitions when I put a clean copy of 6.0.3 on the other day. Thanks

Guys I'm running openelec 6.0.3 on an SSD 128gb, I have always been able to update by putting the relevant tar in the update folder in userdata. When trying to update to 7.0 I'm getting "size check failed" when I reboot the machine. Googling suggests my partitions are too small however I don't have any partitions, I noticed within Kodi there is a sda1 and sda2, 1 is only 230mb which I suspect is the problem, I'm not sure how to expand this partition? I deleted all partitions when I put a clean copy of 6.0.3 on the other day. Thanks

Yes the sizes have increased over time and some old installs do not have enough space.

Theres a few options really, if you have it all setup and dont want to lose anything then flash GParted onto a USB stick and use that to increase the partition size (make sure you backup via the builtin backup tool first though just incase) GParted isnt super hard to use, its usually a case of dragging the bars between partitions to increase/decrease but its pretty nerve racking when its doing it!

If you dont care about the data/libraries etc then just install 7.0 from fresh using the first time install tool.

P.S. I'd recommend going over to LibreElec. Its essentially the same thing but most of the devs from OpenElec left and started OpenElec.

Yes the sizes have increased over time and some old installs do not have enough space.

Theres a few options really, if you have it all setup and dont want to lose anything then flash GParted onto a USB stick and use that to increase the partition size (make sure you backup via the builtin backup tool first though just incase) GParted isnt super hard to use, its usually a case of dragging the bars between partitions to increase/decrease but its pretty nerve racking when its doing it!

If you dont care about the data/libraries etc then just install 7.0 from fresh using the first time install tool.

P.S. I'd recommend going over to LibreElec. Its essentially the same thing but most of the devs from OpenElec left and started OpenElec.

Thanks, I tried the fresh install of 7.0 but it kept erroring at 85%/87%, a common issue that I can't remember the fault for it! I just did a fresh install of 6.0.3 and then upgraded to 7.

I've seen LibraElec but it just looks exactly the same as OE, any reason to change?

Thanks, I tried the fresh install of 7.0 but it kept erroring at 85%/87%, a common issue that I can't remember the fault for it! I just did a fresh install of 6.0.3 and then upgraded to 7.

I've seen LibraElec but it just looks exactly the same as OE, any reason to change?

Glad you sorted it.

There was a big falling out between the lead guy in OpenELEC and a lot of the other devs, differences in direction of the product so they all setup LibreELEC. On the surface theres not much difference as it runs the same Kodi but obviously if the cleverer devs moved then LibreELEC may be better coded and have less issues etc. I had no major issues with either to be honest and its dead easy to change over to LibreELEC, same method as upgrading OpenELEC

I'm running the latest version of Kodi release, with removed installed on a Mac Mini and I am finding it a bug ridden pile of crap that seems to crash 3 or 4 times during each movie playback.

Thoughts what I could be doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Android boxes with added content

What's the UK legality of running an android box with kodi / addons that allow watching prior screened TV episodes uploaded to the multitude of sharing sites.

There seem to be loads of these boxes on Gumtree etc

I want one of these thingies for my Kodi. What is the best one to get?

I have one of these, seems fine for my use. Battery is one of those old ones you would get in a Nokia brick phone.

That specific one does not have an illuminated keyboard which is handy feature to have

Back
Top Bottom