**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Associate
I have seen video where you can walk around using an xbox controller. I have a usb controller but plugging it in Windows does not recognise it and install a driver. I see there is an xbox app on the Windows store, is this what I need to use it with the Flight Sim.
Also when flying low over somewhere and you want to go to the ground and look round, do you just pause and use this to look around, Thanks

Soldato
Yep don’t try mapping to gear up/gear down, just map to landing gear toggle, and make sure you’re in gear down position when starting flight.
I’ve done a bit more research and yes oddly it’s a single button, the down gear doesn’t work at all under any hardware based circumstances* as the hardware (second button) simply isn’t there.

MSFS have done a clever software cheat to make it work as your experiencing it though but profiles have to be reset, indeed I’m sure you mentioned that a few days ago.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/landing-gear-lever-and-parking-brake-lever-still-not-completely-working/401064

* which is a shame as it won’t work with DCS or il-2.

Caporegime
I’ve done a bit more research and yes oddly it’s a single button, the down gear doesn’t work at all under any hardware based circumstances* as the hardware (second button) simply isn’t there.

MSFS have done a clever software cheat to make it work as your experiencing it though but profiles have to be reset, indeed I’m sure you mentioned that a few days ago.

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/...ake-lever-still-not-completely-working/401064

* which is a shame as it won’t work with DCS or il-2.
Yes exactly. It’s one button. For gear up and gear down, it would have to be button 21 and 22, but it’s just 21, so it can only used as a toggle, like the engine buttons on the throttle.

You can see which button is which by going into the windows game controller settings.

Soldato
Yes exactly. It’s one button. For gear up and gear down, it would have to be button 21 and 22, but it’s just 21, so it can only used as a toggle, like the engine buttons on the throttle.

You can see which button is which by going into the windows game controller settings.
It’s fine for MSFS with the inbuilt software cheat but to use it for DCS it will only work when pushed upwards so the up/down functionality doesn’t work as intended but it works if your happy to push up for up and then retract and push up for down.

Associate
I have just bought the Orbx EU Great Central Britain Pack and to start I thought I would have a look at Blackpool. The piers and pleasure beach are there but no Tower.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled it but it is just the same.
If the tower is missing I wonder what else is as well
The sim is showing online and the cache seems to be working ok and has been cleared and everything is set to ultra
Just had a thought I have got the London City Pack installed as well, I will try uninstalling everything first and just reinstalling the GB Central Britain Pack first
Edit: looks like I did not get all the World Updates installed, so hopefully after getting the missing ones all will be fine

Last edited:
Soldato
I have managed find space to install this now via the Xbox game pass for the PC. I must say it runs lovely and looks great. I only have gtx970 and an i3 of some sorts, the pc is from OCUK and purchased in 2015. I ran the game with default settings at medium but today I tried it with high-end settings and it still runs great but looks better. I did a flight from East midlands to Manchester last night, only took 20 mins or so but it was so chill.

I struggled with the Trim on the planes but after watching a short YT video it made so much sense. certainly makes flying more enjoyable. I am half way through the first lot of lessons, can't wait to try the lessons for the airliner.

Associate
I have just installed this via Game Pass. I haven't done anything yet other than install the base game and the UK scenery update.

Can anyone recommend a good guide to optimising the settings for performance. My PC is middling spec, Ryzen 3600, 16 GB RAM, nvme drive and a Radeon 5700. The game selected High settings to start with but I know some settings can be turned down/up to help performance without too much quality loss.

Any other tips? I have a little experience of flight sims but not for many years. I am planning on working my way through the lessons and then probably sticking mainly to the smaller GA aircraft and sight seeing.

How good are the default controls. I have a TM16000 HOTAS and CH rudder pedals.

thanks

Soldato
I have just installed this via Game Pass. I haven't done anything yet other than install the base game and the UK scenery update.

Can anyone recommend a good guide to optimising the settings for performance. My PC is middling spec, Ryzen 3600, 16 GB RAM, nvme drive and a Radeon 5700. The game selected High settings to start with but I know some settings can be turned down/up to help performance without too much quality loss.

Any other tips? I have a little experience of flight sims but not for many years. I am planning on working my way through the lessons and then probably sticking mainly to the smaller GA aircraft and sight seeing.

How good are the default controls. I have a TM16000 HOTAS and CH rudder pedals.

thanks

Use the default middle range Global graphics option. Thats what I did, then after a few flights I upped it to mid range and its still smooth. Might be a little jerky in some places but over all its looks and runs great.

Associate
Hi all, I have an RTX 3080 with a 5900X driving a 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide. I've been thinking of moving to a 32" 4K display. I currently run FS2020 on the default ultra profile and get a good smooth all round experience (Following SU6 I did try and increase the LOD from 200 to 400.. at altitude I was still getting 50+ fps, however at complex airports in the A32NX I dropped to around 15-20 fps, so I've kept LOD at 200 as the visual improvement was not worth the performance trade off IMO). I appreciate that you don't need crazy FPS for a flight sim, I'd be happy with a good 35-40fps average - i'm prob. getting about 40-50fps average at the moment.

I've not had any experience with 4K displays. Would love to hear how others are getting on with 4K displays and FS2020. I would like to keep my settings on the default ultra profile. If it's going to be a big performance impact, I'd rather stick with my ultrawide until the next gen of GPUs though.

Soldato
I have a 3080 and a 4K 32 inch screen. I’m using a 3900xt which is my main drawback by far. I like to aim for 60fps so I reduce the settings accordingly my 3080 is never at 100% more like 70-90%

When MSFS came out a 3080 would average 43 fps at 4K and a 3090 45fps whilst these have improved with the performance updates I also believe the base game has increased In complexity/fidelity so they are still a good ballpark figure of what the top level cards can get.

Can a 3080/90 max out the game at 60 fps yes in some areas and lol in others. It will be a case of fiddling with settings to suit yourself but a 3080 can most certainly drive 4K in this although I doubt it can meet your requirements as 4K is a fair step up from ultra wide.
Hi all, I have an RTX 3080 with a 5900X driving a 34" 3440x1440 ultrawide. I've been thinking of moving to a 32" 4K display. I currently run FS2020 on the default ultra profile and get a good smooth all round experience (Following SU6 I did try and increase the LOD from 200 to 400.. at altitude I was still getting 50+ fps, however at complex airports in the A32NX I dropped to around 15-20 fps, so I've kept LOD at 200 as the visual improvement was not worth the performance trade off IMO). I appreciate that you don't need crazy FPS for a flight sim, I'd be happy with a good 35-40fps average - i'm prob. getting about 40-50fps average at the moment.

I've not had any experience with 4K displays. Would love to hear how others are getting on with 4K displays and FS2020. I would like to keep my settings on the default ultra profile. If it's going to be a big performance impact, I'd rather stick with my ultrawide until the next gen of GPUs though.

Associate
Anyone running this on a laptop connected to a 4K screen? I've been playing it on my desktop (5900X & 3080Ti) but I think it'll be much better playing on the 65" OLED. Rather than the faff of moving down the desktop, I'll wondering how well the laptop would handle it? It's a Legion 5 with s6 5800H, 32GB and 3070 mobile. I have no doubts about 1080p but 4K @ high settings is possibly too much?

Back
Top Bottom