**** Official Microsoft Flight Simulator Thread ****

Soldato
Well my ssd raid array corrupted tonight so I’ll be having to do (another) fresh install of MSFS and probably post DX12 is a good time to do this so no biggie! I must be the only pilot who has less than 50 hours logged on MSFS but Steam shows about 400!!! (All the downloading)

Ps Honeycomb Flight Yoke is great!

Associate
Thought Asobo had said they didn't expect any performance increase from DX12. It's more about updating the platform for potential enhancements which are DX12 exclusive.

I guess if your glass is half full they're just tempering expectations?

Soldato
I read that DX12 allows a game to use more cores, I don't know if that is correct
Yes it can in theory.

Problem is there are two types of DX12, a tiny tiny handful of games which have been built on DX12 from the outset such as Forza (which run great) and those games (many) which have had DX12 patched in at a later stage. It’s a bit like redoing the foundations of your house by changing the roof tiles!

Associate
Just updated. DX12 needs some work, GPU utilisation higher in the menu than the game... Getting 40-50fps with the new fighter landing challenge at (Ultra/1440p) The GPU is at only 50% sometimes.

Soldato
Just updated. DX12 needs some work, GPU utilisation higher in the menu than the game... Getting 40-50fps with the new fighter landing challenge at (Ultra/1440p) The GPU is at only 50% sometimes.
I’m going to wait for the inevitable patch that follows each update. Should be here by Wednesday next week:D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I tried out the F18 today.
Upfront, I wasn’t expecting much as it’s only just been released, and my benchmark is the DCS F18, which I’m reasonably
competent with.

Getting the bad out of the way, there’s no:
- weapons
- stores (even drop tanks) or smoke makers
- radar
- Headmounted visor
In addition, there’s a lot of controls that are inoperable (being fair, many are weapon related) and it’s not possible to directly map say the MFD buttons to my Thrustmaster MFD panels.
camt really comment on the flight model, too early to tell.

On the positive side:
- it’s free. The DCS F18 costs around as much as FS2020 std edition
- looks ok. I prefer the DCS model to look at, but it’s certainly not bad
- As I’m familiar with the DCS F18, flying it felt like slipping into a pair of used and comfy slippers. Just dead easy to get into and go for a wander around.

In short, I rather liked it. Great way to go sightseeing. In fact my first flight was out of Changi and up to KL to checkout the causeway and scenery, NOT something that I can do in DCS.

So after all that, it’s not a question of which one is better. One does the the systems and combat authentically, the other lets you see places you’ve never been to before. Have BOTH

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom