**Official MikroTik Hardware **

I have tested a hacked RB4011 WLAN with the AC card swapped out for an AX card so there is no reason why it couldn’t be swapped out for a 6E card if Mikrotik release one. The key thing is that RouterOS is RouterOS is RouterOS so long as you download the right one for your CPU you get all the drivers for every Mikrotik device so they all do everything their chipsets are capable of. It’s a very different business model to Ubiquiti Networks who lock everything down.

Interesting. The 2.5Gbe is the feature I need, my NAS/PC/Proxmox host all have 2.5Gbe capable NICs. 10Gbe means new NAS and extra NICs all round.

I'll keep an eye on that product range, looks promising.

I've been using Mikrotik stuff since the early era of Routerboards, granted a munged OpenWRT on those but I've always been very impressed with their hardware and their open source attitude as a company. It's refreshing in these days of walled gardens and locked ecosystems like you say.

Last edited:
Soldato
Interesting. The 2.5Gbe is the feature I need, my NAS/PC/Proxmox host all have 2.5Gbe capable NICs. 10Gbe means new NAS and extra NICs all round.

I'll keep an eye on that product range, looks promising.

I've been using Mikrotik stuff since the early era of Routerboards, granted a munged OpenWRT on those but I've always been very impressed with their hardware and their open source attitude as a company. It's refreshing in these days of walled gardens and locked ecosystems like you say.
I don’t think there is anything open source about MikroTik. They licence their software very aggressively and woe betides anyone trying to use MikroTik software without an appropriate licence. Obviously all MikroTik hardware comes with a licence but I don’t think they’re sharing any code with anyone in open source tradition.

Associate
Soldato
Soldato
Looking to upgrade my USG3P to something to take advantage of 1Gbit+ internet without spending a fortune (UDM-SE etc).

What would be some options from MikroTik to look at? 2.5gbe WAN for the VM Hub 5 and a couple 10gbe LAN ports would be nice.
I have a USW-16-POE for everything else.

Thanks

Soldato
Looking to upgrade my USG3P to something to take advantage of 1Gbit+ internet without spending a fortune (UDM-SE etc).

What would be some options from MikroTik to look at? 2.5gbe WAN for the VM Hub 5 and a couple 10gbe LAN ports would be nice.
I have a USW-16-POE for everything else.

Thanks
Why won’t your USG3P do gigabit+ Ethernet? IPS/IDS and QoS are pointless so turn them off and hey presto! it will be passing gigabit traffic.

Soldato
Why won’t your USG3P do gigabit+ Ethernet? IPS/IDS and QoS are pointless so turn them off and hey presto! it will be passing gigabit traffic.

I already have them turned off and it tops out at 950Mbps but connect direct to the Hub 5 and it gets 1150Mbps.

Plus I'd like a few 10Gbe ports for NAS

Soldato
CRS312-4C+8XG-RM might be an option. The 10GbE ports will also run at 2.5GbE or 5GbE, so you’d set it up as a router running RouterOS rather than a switch running swOS (you choose which operating system you want to run when it boots up).

Or RB5009 with an SFP+ uplink to CRS305-1G-4S+IN.

Caporegime
Not convinced the CRS running RouterOS is going to be much good at routing tasks, it has a single core MIPS CPU.

Soldato
Something like the RB5009 with a couple 10gbe ports or another SFP+ would be good then no need for the additional CRS305-1G-4S+IN.

I'll keep looking but thanks for pointing at the right kit to start.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks pretty incredible but at a grand its double what I was thinking of spending.

Was looking for something basic like the USG3P but newer with some 2.5/10G ports and didn't really want a UDM.

Back
Top Bottom