** Official Returnal Thread **

Soldato
Some suggestions that might help those struggling with the difficulty:

• Turn on the always run option, staying mobile is key to not taking damage
  • Dodge towards/through projectiles unless they are purple
  • Use cover when dealing with turrets, rockets or the evil red arrows
  • Grind weapon traits, they make a huge difference, the homing trait transforms the pistol, narrow maw transforms the blaster, and so on
  • Items like the astronaut and adrenaline leech make a huge difference
The first biome and boss took me several hours but the game actually gets easier as you unlock traits.

Soldato
It's interesting that a lot of people say that the first boss is by far the hardest point of the game - I got him on my third go, and the second boss on my second attempt, but biome 3 is just destroying me. I think I've spent more time in the game trying to make any progress there than I did for 1 + 2 combined!

I've tried a few runs going as direct to there as possible to practice but I pretty much get nailed as soon as I get onto any serious enemies.. I'm going to try going back to doing a longer run but I've been put off because it seems to keep ending up the same way

Soldato
It's interesting that a lot of people say that the first boss is by far the hardest point of the game - I got him on my third go, and the second boss on my second attempt, but biome 3 is just destroying me. I think I've spent more time in the game trying to make any progress there than I did for 1 + 2 combined!

I've tried a few runs going as direct to there as possible to practice but I pretty much get nailed as soon as I get onto any serious enemies.. I'm going to try going back to doing a longer run but I've been put off because it seems to keep ending up the same way
The Rotgland Lobber is good in area 3 because of its dot effect. If I was feeling overwhelmed I'd try and hit as many as quickly as possible then grapple away. Don't forget that the grapple also makes you invulnerable so you just need to keep moving and grappling. I played through it today to try and find an item after getting to the credits. I used the Lobber all the way through to the boss and was rarely troubled. Pylon is also decent in this area for the same reason. Anything that has a damage over time effect.

Soldato
The Rotgland Lobber is good in area 3 because of its dot effect. If I was feeling overwhelmed I'd try and hit as many as quickly as possible then grapple away. Don't forget that the grapple also makes you invulnerable so you just need to keep moving and grappling. I played through it today to try and find an item after getting to the credits. I used the Lobber all the way through to the boss and was rarely troubled. Pylon is also decent in this area for the same reason. Anything that has a damage over time effect.

Hmm I haven't actually tried the rot gland lobber - might as well give it a go

I did actually get to nemesis last night - had a couple of attempts but didn't quite make it through the 2nd phase. On the run to get to him I only encountered about 4-5 flying drones, but as is typical in the game on a run this morning after accumulating a ridiculous build in the first two biomes I encountered about a dozen just after the starting area and got nailed!

Soldato
Hmm I haven't actually tried the rot gland lobber - might as well give it a go

I did actually get to nemesis last night - had a couple of attempts but didn't quite make it through the 2nd phase. On the run to get to him I only encountered about 4-5 flying drones, but as is typical in the game on a run this morning after accumulating a ridiculous build in the first two biomes I encountered about a dozen just after the starting area and got nailed!
Its definitely a wall for some is biome 3. I was lucky enough to beat the boss 1st try but it took me a few attempts to get to him. I just played through it really cautious through the level and tried staying far away and sniping where I could.

Soldato
Just done a complete 2nd run and completed it again doing the bosses. I think the 3rd boss is the most enjoyable. Done about 30 hours now think. Really really enjoyed my time with it and will come back to it hopefully they’ll bring out some extra content for it. Love the 5th biome as well that has the best setting imo.

Soldato
Apparently got this winging it’s way to me now as part of my rental scheme :)
Any tips for a beginner? I haven’t read anywhere about them implementing a semi-save scheme yet, so if you turn off the console you lose your progress, is that right? Only rest/resume will keep it?

Soldato
Apparently got this winging it’s way to me now as part of my rental scheme :)
Any tips for a beginner? I haven’t read anywhere about them implementing a semi-save scheme yet, so if you turn off the console you lose your progress, is that right? Only rest/resume will keep it?

Yeah if you want to resume you have to use rest mode.

Soldato
Making slow progress, but enjoying it a lot, finding it quite addictive. I find the weapon noises really satisfying, nothing better than blasting the hell out of something.

So tonight I levelled up through biome 1 and 2, maxed out complete with an astronaut ready to take on the level 3 boss , feeling good, was gonna do it this time. Bloody game only went and crashed whilst warping fml , lol

Soldato
The thing I like about this game, you can just jump straight back in and your off. No messing about :D Had a little break and it is like I have never been away

I agree about the weapon sounds, so satisfying.

Soldato
Making slow progress, but enjoying it a lot, finding it quite addictive. I find the weapon noises really satisfying, nothing better than blasting the hell out of something.

So tonight I levelled up through biome 1 and 2, maxed out complete with an astronaut ready to take on the level 3 boss , feeling good, was gonna do it this time. Bloody game only went and crashed whilst warping fml , lol

That is harsh! I was lucky in that in my 60 or so hours with the game I never had one crash. I've sold the game on but I kind of miss it. It was fun to just jump in and have a blast. I'll pick it up again one day in a sale or something.

Associate
Is there a shortcut to the 2nd boss Ixion? Put about 23 hrs in now and still not past 2nd boss. Is there a way to shortcut to him, I’ll have an astronaut and loads of life etc but by the time I get to him I’m massively depleted due to all the enemies before. Finding the game really frustrating now tbh.

Soldato
Is there a shortcut to the 2nd boss Ixion? Put about 23 hrs in now and still not past 2nd boss. Is there a way to shortcut to him, I’ll have an astronaut and loads of life etc but by the time I get to him I’m massively depleted due to all the enemies before. Finding the game really frustrating now tbh.
In Biome 2 you have to do the desert outside part but there is a portal shortcut just before you go inside which takes you straight to the boss. If you feel like it you can pretty much run past everything to get to it. Probably be some turrets near the portal is all.

Edit - I think the portal only appears after you've fought the boss once.

Associate
In Biome 2 you have to do the desert outside part but there is a portal shortcut just before you go inside which takes you straight to the boss. If you feel like it you can pretty much run past everything to get to it. Probably be some turrets near the portal is all.

Edit - I think the portal only appears after you've fought the boss once.

thanks so much, will look for it next time I’m on!! Looked online and was really unclear. Really frustrating as kept losing all of my health.

Hopefully will take this 2nd boss down then at some point soonish. Bloody game!! Lol

Associate
I just come back to this after a stint on RE village.

Is it my imagination but the game seems harder since the last patch. I can't make it through biome 3!

Back
Top Bottom