** Official Returnal Thread **

Soldato
Save feature added.

now I can buy it

Edit: oh wait nevermind that's not a real save haha

All it's doing is suspending the cycle as it is, this is the same as just putting your ps5 in sleep mode. It doesn't add anything new. A proper save mode would allow the gamer to retry a boss when they die, but this doesn't do that, death still kicks you back to the start of the game with no way to retry

I'll still buy the game eventually but it's gotta be like 70% off in a sale or something

Associate
now I can buy it

Edit: oh wait nevermind that's not a real save haha

All it's doing is suspending the cycle as it is, this is the same as just putting your ps5 in sleep mode. It doesn't add anything new. A proper save mode would allow the gamer to retry a boss when they die, but this doesn't do that, death still kicks you back to the start of the game with no way to retry

I'll still buy the game eventually but it's gotta be like 70% off in a sale or something

Well that's a Real shame I was also going to get it if it had a proper save feature but I ain't ever touching it without one. Being forced.to play for hours and restarting **** and over and over because you die isn't fun.

Soldato
Well that's a Real shame I was also going to get it if it had a proper save feature but I ain't ever touching it without one. Being forced.to play for hours and restarting **** and over and over because you die isn't fun.
It's the whole point of the roguelike style of game. Dying is learning, improving and upgrading and the implementation here is pretty great. Binding of Isaac, Children of Morta, Hades, Dead Cells? Played any of those before? Don't like it fine if it's not for you but forced? That's just ridiculous.

Soldato
Is there any way to cheese the first boss? Gave up after getting stuck and cant be bothered to repeat the whole level for every boss attempt.

Soldato
Is there any way to cheese the first boss? Gave up after getting stuck and cant be bothered to repeat the whole level for every boss attempt.
I found it the hardest boss in the game. You just have to prepare for it, get as much health as possible plus healing items and maybe an astronaut. Learn his moves. He does give big cues as to what he is going to throw at you. It is tough though no doubt. I don’t think he can be cheesed. Assault rifle is good at range and use your alt every time it pops. His HP should drop really fast if you don’t let up.

Last edited:
Associate
It's the whole point of the roguelike style of game. Dying is learning, improving and upgrading and the implementation here is pretty great. Binding of Isaac, Children of Morta, Hades, Dead Cells? Played any of those before? Don't like it fine if it's not for you but forced? That's just ridiculous.

No I haven't. But playing a whole level and dying on a boss because you need to learn the mechanics doesn't sound like fun to me. So you basically have to complete each level 2-3 times. Wow that sounds ace.

Soldato
No I haven't. But playing a whole level and dying on a boss because you need to learn the mechanics doesn't sound like fun to me. So you basically have to complete each level 2-3 times. Wow that sounds ace.

If its anything like hades you'd be extremely lucky with 2-3 :eek: (I suck tho).

Soldato
It’s never the same level twice though as the layout is randomly generated so always feels different, and it’s implemented well into the story each cycle you learn new things. Also there is like a half point hard checkpoint & shortcuts to get through a level once you’ve beat a boss etc

Soldato
Well after about 5 hours and my 1st encounter with the 1st boss, I wasn't hopeful of finishing it. It kept me engaged enough, I beat him on my 3rd go. 2nd boss, thought no chance, kept going and got him on my 2nd attempt. Onto number 3, got him 2nd time! There's a brilliant game in there you just need to persevere through the pain. Some runs lasted less than 2 minutes :p It's all about putting in the time on the weapons to unlock traits and to build yourself up with integrity and protection. Very rewarding when it all comes together. Looking forward to what is next ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well after about 5 hours and my 1st encounter with the 1st boss, I wasn't hopeful of finishing it. It kept me engaged enough, I beat him on my 3rd go. 2nd boss, thought no chance, kept going and got him on my 2nd attempt. Onto number 3, got him 2nd time! There's a brilliant game in there you just need to persevere through the pain. Some runs lasted less than 2 minutes :p It's all about putting in the time on the weapons to unlock traits and to build yourself up with integrity and protection. Very rewarding when it all comes together. Looking forward to what is next ;)
Took me about 9-10 tries on the first boss! Hell of a feeling taking him down. I didn’t have too much trouble with the others and got most of them 1st or 2nd try. Depends how well the run goes and what you have left when you finally manage to get back to the boss. I found prepping very important for health items and an astronaut. Amazing game my GOTY of last year easily.
And as you say, weapon traits are key as well.

Soldato
Had a go at Biome 4 last night. Somehow fluked the next boss on my 2nd attempt after a run that didn't leave me with much. After that though getting through Biome 4 and far into 5 is proving challenging.

Associate
Stuck on Biome 3 here and struggling tbh. Those drones are killing me, literally, their movements are so random and causing me all sorts of issues. I'm 61 hours in and only seen the Biome 3 boss once and that was a complete fluke. Having a break from this for a bit but I will Returnal for some more punishment when I've plucked up enough courage.....

Back
Top Bottom