*** Official Rugby League SLXXIV Thread ***

Associate
Losing in Golden Point was a bit of a pain - especially when Wgan didn't touch the ball in extra time! No complaints about losing (Hull really deserved it - Wigan really struggled with their offloads all game) but not sure if Golden Point in its current form is the best way to settle a game - especially a League game. NQ Cowboys won an NRL GF in a similar way a few years ago, in that Brisbane never touched the ball (other than to knock on from the kick off). I just feel that if its a goal (penalty or DG) you should play until the end of the 5 minutes half to give teams a chance to get back. If its a try, then fair enough - game over.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Catalans 23-22 Warrington.

A pretty good match that got a bit handbaggy towards the very end. Oh, and one fairly lousy call for that Warrington try when Gigot was clearly obstructed, but what the hell. A win is a win :)

***edit***

Heh, there was a 'triggered' (kinda hate that word but it was appropriate this time) Wire fan on the Twitters earlier who in rather sweary fashion declared that he hoped Catalans went out of business. His account got suspended sometime later :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, Widnes have survived, albeit with a 12 point deduction, but now under new management, and have followed that up today with an emphatic win in front of a big home crowd over Featherstone, 44-22. Hopefully, this past week’s drama and the near miss with liquidation was the wake up call that they needed to get fans back through the turnstiles, and that under new management, the team can turn a corner without that cancer in man form that is James Rule at the helm.

Feeling pretty relieved, and looking forward to getting to some games when i get home, hopefully some time in May. :)

Associate
Widnes can turn 12 points round. Don't know if they can make the play offs, but they ecrtainly won't go down again. Just glad its worked out for them.

Wigan and Wakefield both lost at London after going itno a healthy lead. If you turn up there and you're not fully focused (like Cas were) for the full 80, you are going to get turned over

Associate
Wigan v Huddersfield. Wigan displayed a collecive level of ineptitude I haven't seen since 2006 (when they nearly went down). Huddersfied are a poor team, but they were miles better than Wigan (see how many Sts put past them next week). A decent team would have put 50+ past Wigan. I didn't go to London, but mates who went said they were actually worse there. Something going badly wrong. Williams is so far out of form its unbelievable. He seems un-droppable at the moment, but if he heads down under he'd better get used to playing reserve grade in small suburban grounds. There's a lot been laid on him, in that he is the only ball player in the halves and the club should have looked to sort this out instead of just beating Workington to the signature of Jarrod Sammut.

Salford showed the value of a classy half back yseterday. Hastings is lifting the whole team - their left centre yesterady had a blinder.

Soldato
OP
Robert Lui is their star player in my mind. He runa the ahow whenever Rovers have played them recently. Decent defensive performance from Rovers to scrape over against Wakey, quite pleased with that! Greenwood out for season with an ACL injury though :(

Soldato
OP
Gonna be an interesting game! Looking forward to it but cant make it unfortunately as I'm away. Shaun Lunt was a 50:50 to play but he hasn't been picked in the 19. So much looking forward to seeing him back playing. He's had a rough few months and we are in desperate need for a decent hooker to speed up our ptb. Something that has been badly lacking with Lee and Lawler, for as much as they are decent players they aren't Shaun Lunt!

Could be a tight game but I'd hope Rovers are preparing for the Catalan side that beat Warrington and not the one that got smashed by Salford.

Associate
I think Danny Ward's application for the Leeds job was rubberstamped there.

Both Leeds and Wigan have appointed popular ex-players with very little coaching experience. Little wonder that they are both in the bottom 3

Associate
This is Wigan's worst start since 2006 and amongst the 5 worst in their entire history. The team look like a bit like they did back in 2006 tbh. They look a bit rudderless but it can't all be down to the coach. These are good players dropping the ball cold on tackle one, missing one on one tackles, looking they they are an U16 team thrown together on the morning of the match. However, offloads have killed Wigan in their last 3 games. Isn't that something that should be a real focus in training? Should it still be happening after the first game? If you look at their next 5 games (Salford A, Catalans H, Cas A, Wakefield A, Sts H) I can't see where a win is coming from. <sigh> Going to be a long season

Back
Top Bottom