• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Owners Thread ***

Soldato
Nice work. I couldn't get my timings low with any use of the blck. 3600 is bootable but far from stable.
I may have a key for AIDA if you want it.

How many of those keys you have?

:D

Almost bought it today but wasn't sure I could justify the cost - was trying to convince self I wouldn't be tinkering much :)

Associate
Saw how much fun you guys were having over here and got so jealous.. Can't remember when last I bought new hardware from.a retailer, think it was P55 with an i5 750.. :eek:

So I odered the following:

• Ryzen 5 1600
• MSI B350 Tomahawk
• 16gb Adata XPG Z1 2400Mhz
• Intel 512gb 600p M.2

I'm more looking forward to the playing than the actual results...

Soldato
Saw how much fun you guys were having over here and got so jealous.. Can't remember when last I bought new hardware from.a retailer, think it was P55 with an i5 750.. :eek:

So I odered the following:

• Ryzen 5 1600
• MSI B350 Tomahawk
• 16gb Adata XPG Z1 2400Mhz
• Intel 512gb 600p M.2

I'm more looking forward to the playing than the actual results...

That's good because you'll be doing a lot of playing! :p
In all seriousness though, try for at least 3000mhz ram. Ryzen loves the fast stuff.

Associate
That's good because you'll be doing a lot of playing! :p
In all seriousness though, try for at least 3000mhz ram. Ryzen loves the fast stuff.

Those Adata modules are binned at 2400Mhz @1.2v

Some reviewers got them reaching 3000Mhz+ CL15 @1.35

It was the only 16gb kit I could find under £80, so it's absolutely worth the "adventure"..

Associate
Make sure you are using the 17.10 Chipset drivers which will install and apply the Ryzen Power Profile.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/chipset?os=Windows 10 - 64

Yeah I'm running the 17.10 chipset, though I'm not sure if that test was with the new power profile or high performance.

Seems to be hit and miss for games, though in true multi-threaded tasks it's a really great chip; did some fluid sim and render tests earlier and it chewed through. Will compare against a dual Xeon workstation this week and expect it to perform very well.

A shame that it gives me the sweats every time I cold boot - for some reason as of today it's taking 4 or 5 attempts at booting before it manages to pass POST @ 2933 RAM.

Caporegime
Why does that profile want to set a lower limit of 90% though.

Seems unnecessary

What's different about this profile compared to the high performance profile?

Because otherwise Windows puts the cores to sleep and you get reduced performance and or stuttering. I've seen this first hand myself, half the cores were on 0% usage while gaming, that's a classic symptom.

Just be aware that software tools, eg HWINFO64 will report incorrect voltage and clock speed with this power profile. It will appear as if the CPU is sitting in the highest clock state at full voltage, this is not the case. Sensi MI is managing the CPU clock speeds and voltages, but no software can read this accurately yet. All explained here > https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-community-update-3

I've tested power draw of Windows Balanced vs Ryzen Balanced and the difference is about 1-2 Watt.

Associate
Because otherwise Windows puts the cores to sleep and you get reduced performance and or stuttering. I've seen this first hand myself, half the cores were on 0% usage while gaming, that's a classic symptom.

Just be aware that software tools, eg HWINFO64 will report incorrect voltage and clock speed with this power profile. It will appear as if the CPU is sitting in the highest clock state at full voltage, this is not the case. Sensi MI is managing the CPU clock speeds and voltages, but no software can read this accurately yet. All explained here > https://community.amd.com/community/gaming/blog/2017/04/06/amd-ryzen-community-update-3

I've tested power draw of Windows Balanced vs Ryzen Balanced and the difference is about 1-2 Watt.
Will it still down clock if OCed?

Soldato
I really wouldn't recommend switching back to balanced, not unless you like losing performance.
It's okay I use high performance, hence being a bit miffed about it being switched by the drivers, but like I said only takes a few seconds to fix.

Never really saw the point of energy saving profiles on a desktop.

Back
Top Bottom