• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Soldato
Anyone having issues putting TR based system to sleep recently? Not sure when it started happening, think it might be windows related rather than mobo/bios but my PC wakes ups all by itself now, not long after putting it to sleep. I do have WOL enabled but there's no magic packet being sent and that doesn't work remotely either due to my stupid router (not supported apparently, although did once work).
Yesterday I put it to sleep and it actually did a cold start (fan full blast for moment). A few other times I tried it, it would sleep for a short while then just kick into life.
Why does this stuff not just work ? :). I work away often so tend to put the TR to sleep and leave a 6700K based system on 24/7 so I can remote into that control the 1950X from there (wake it up, put to sleep).
Mobo is x399-a

Soldato
I turned off all that stuff years ago on my Sandybridge PC. Interesting to hear that all that power saving stuff still doesn't work! Doesn't help if you remote on to it but I just use full power then turn it off the rest of the time.

Soldato
I turned off all that stuff years ago on my Sandybridge PC. Interesting to hear that all that power saving stuff still doesn't work! Doesn't help if you remote on to it but I just use full power then turn it off the rest of the time.
Usually pretty good these days I think. I suspect either bios update or maybe power plan change, both of which have been updated/changed recently and probably since the last time I used Sleep mode. It's handy to use as the 1950X uses best part of twice as much power as the 6700K at idle so makes sense to leave the i7 system running and then remote into it to wake up the 1950X based system when needed. Might have to just move stuff over to the i7 if I cannot get Sleep mode working well.
Will see if I can find more time to investigate it at the weekend.

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Not had any trouble with mine waking back up on a gigabyte gaming 7 board. I do find that performance isn't as good post sleep/wake and usually benefits from a restart.

Soldato
Using two of them, pretty much the best TR4 coolers available in terms of air/aio coolers.

Should enable you to run a 4Ghz overclock and maintain good temps.

That's good to know. I like the idea of a custom loop but not the maintenance. Is 4GHz currently as much as you'd bother with? I presume the temperature goes up rapidly after that?

Caporegime
That's good to know. I like the idea of a custom loop but not the maintenance. Is 4GHz currently as much as you'd bother with? I presume the temperature goes up rapidly after that?

It could take more for gaming and lighter loads, but running something like Prime95 small FFT (to test stability) cranks the temps up into the 80's. The CPU will throttle at around 86-87c, if you tweak the BIOS settings to allow the extra headroom.

I find blender is pretty good for testing stability with the Ryzen render test. That puts a good soliud 100% load on the CPU, but doesn't draw maximum possible wattage.

Not bad when you consider it's a 16 core 32 thread CPU tbh.

If you tune the memory and run at 3200Mhz CL14 with tight seconds and thirds, it flies. Not had one single issue while gaming and it chews through handbrake as i convert a few videos.

Soldato
It could take more for gaming and lighter loads, but running something like Prime95 small FFT cranks the temps up into the 80's. The CPU will throttle at around 86-87c, if you tweak the BIOS settings to allow the extra headroom.

If you tune the memory and run at 3200Mhz CL14 with tight seconds and thirds, it flies. Not had one single issue while gaming and it chews through handbrake as i convert a few videos.

That is pretty decent. I'm thinking of one of the lower tier TR4 cpus when I get around to it. I can wait until Threadripper 2 (7nm) comes out but sounds like a decent platform already.

Soldato
It could take more for gaming and lighter loads, but running something like Prime95 small FFT cranks the temps up into the 80's. The CPU will throttle at around 86-87c, if you tweak the BIOS settings to allow the extra headroom.

That is pretty decent. I'm thinking of one of the lower tier TR4 cpus when I get around to it. I can wait until Threadripper 2 (7nm) comes out but sounds like a decent platform already.

Permabanned

Threadripper 3 with up to 32 cores / 64 threads will be on 7nm. Threadripper 2 is expected this summer / this autumn and should be a decent improvement, too.

Soldato
Threadripper 3 with up to 32 cores / 64 threads will be on 7nm. Threadripper 2 is expected this summer / this autumn and should be a decent improvement, too.

Isn't that Threadripper + on 12nm later this year, like Zen+ with the 2 version still to come on 7nm next year?

Soldato
Think I've managed to resolve the Sleep issue. One of two things. Reinstalled Nvidia drivers as I found the NV control panel was no longer available. The most likely cause however was the Microsoft Balanced Power profile I switched to recently. With both the NV drivers reinstalled and power plan back to performance, it's now sleeping peacefully for over an hour :D.

Caporegime
Think I've managed to resolve the Sleep issue. One of two things. Reinstalled Nvidia drivers as I found the NV control panel was no longer available. The most likely cause however was the Microsoft Balanced Power profile I switched to recently. With both the NV drivers reinstalled and power plan back to performance, it's now sleeping peacefully for over an hour :D.
You can now use the Balanced Power Profile with Ryzen as we implemented the Ryzen Power Profile into Balanced, similar to how Intel did way back when. With Balanced the CPU can run at 5% minimum frequency now with Ryzen/TR so the CPU should downclock, depending on what BIOS settings you use and how you overclock.

Soldato
You can now use the Balanced Power Profile with Ryzen as we implemented the Ryzen Power Profile into Balanced, similar to how Intel did way back when. With Balanced the CPU can run at 5% minimum frequency now with Ryzen/TR so the CPU should downclock, depending on what BIOS settings you use and how you overclock.
Thanks Matt, I will give it another try later. I was having an issue with the system automatically waking up from sleep after a short time when using the Windows Balanced profile. Might have been the GPU drivers but suspect it was the profile maybe in combination with mobo (x399-A latest bios). I'm only running on air so not bothered overclocking. Now running the Performance profile again the system has slept all night (had to do this to test it as I use Wake On Lan when working remotely).
If I get a power meter I might see how the two systems compare and could leave the TR system on 24/7 if the Balanced profile means it's not too much more power hungry than a 6700k system when idling.

Caporegime
Thanks Matt, I will give it another try later. I was having an issue with the system automatically waking up from sleep after a short time when using the Windows Balanced profile. Might have been the GPU drivers but suspect it was the profile maybe in combination with mobo (x399-A latest bios). I'm only running on air so not bothered overclocking. Now running the Performance profile again the system has slept all night (had to do this to test it as I use Wake On Lan when working remotely).
If I get a power meter I might see how the two systems compare and could leave the TR system on 24/7 if the Balanced profile means it's not too much more power hungry than a 6700k system when idling.
I disable all wake ups and even go into device manager and untick allow to wake from sleep on my mouse, keyboard (my g19 frequently wakes my systems from sleep), wireless internet connections and my 10G ethernet card. No more wakeups from sleep now for me!

Back
Top Bottom