• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Soldato
I doubt that they'd need 40% more power for a clock speed bump, after all the 180w, 1950X with 3.4GHz base, and 4.0GHz boost that would mean really inefficient overclocking, so no process improvement, which we already know isn't the case. Look at the 2700X is 105w, which was a 10% power bump for the increased clocks to 3.7/4.3Ghz, from 3.4/3.8GHz on the 1700X.

38% power increase, for a clock speed bump, just doesn't add up unless it a huge bump! :)

Soldato
Seems some TR2 news is starting to come out - this article is speculating on increased core count due to new 250w TDP the motherboard vendors are working to on X399 refresh - I suspect its just a clock bump though tbh..

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-threadripper-2-moar-cores

haha someone knows someone on in the inside then ;)

i wouldn't run a flagship TR2 on current x399 boards :D

just at the right time for intel to come out with 28 core i9 ...

would have posted up sooner but had my own self to blame for getting myself the ban hammer haha

Soldato
I doubt that they'd need 40% more power for a clock speed bump, after all the 180w, 1950X with 3.4GHz base, and 4.0GHz boost that would mean really inefficient overclocking, so no process improvement, which we already know isn't the case. Look at the 2700X is 105w, which was a 10% power bump for the increased clocks to 3.7/4.3Ghz, from 3.4/3.8GHz on the 1700X.

38% power increase, for a clock speed bump, just doesn't add up unless it a huge bump! :)
Hope your right... cant be long till more info comes out now... :)

Soldato
Announcement on TR2 tomorrow so not long now.

I think TR2 will run on current boards, or at least some of them - but may well end up with boost capped in someway if what we've seen with Zen+ holds true for TR+

Soldato
This is untrue - Threadripper 2 will just run fine on current X399 boards, since these are designed well enough to supply a 250W CPU. Of course, if this is the case.

If I remember correctly zenith and Aorus 7 are 8 true phases , then you have MSI at the same - memory poornon them . Now prototype is 16+ .

8 phases for 8 cores, now you whack in 30 odd cores and things start to get interesting ... Why I know Aorus went along and made that board which is why gamersnexus was give a good look at it a day or two before computex kicks off

Soldato
Just for reference, current fastest 32c Epyc (7601) has base clock of 2.2, all core boost of 2.7 and max boost of 3.2 and thats a 180w TDP on a design that's been static for a bit longer than the original Ryzen

So I suppose with Zen+ efficiency and an extra 70w to play with (and without enterprise reliability constraints) - a 32c chip with acceptable clocks is inside the realm of the possible!

Edit: I wonder if this would make the new board for TR2 8 channel (like Epyc) and not 4 channel

Soldato
This is untrue - Threadripper 2 will just run fine on current X399 boards, since these are designed well enough to supply a 250W CPU. Of course, if this is the case.

If I remember correctly zenith and Aorus 7 are 8 true phases , then you have MSI at the same - memory poornon them . Now prototype is 16+ .

8 phases for 8 cores, now you whack in 30 odd cores and things start to get interesting ... Why I know Aorus went along and made that board which is why gamersnexus was give a good look at it a day or two before computex kicks off

Soldato
I did try to mention the high core count and TDP ;)

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-announces-32-core-ryzen-threadripper-2000-cpu

@Journey @BongoHunter, @4K8KW10 was honestly hoping you were going to guess a higher core count then 24 :p

And you are ready for, current x399 boards can run TR2.. but it'll kind of be Like Aorus Ultra Z370 board.. you can overclock it to 5ghz and run games but you'd NEVER want it as a workstation based board- so current boards could run them for gaming and light loads but 32 cores would kill the VRM pretty soon !
Hence why Aorus went public like they did with the Aorus 7 X470 and that cooling ... Just say it can handle a lot of heat ;)

Have to hunt through and find the pricing again but think it would be something like £1400-1700 bracket so tipping at i9 7980xe - although don't go quoting me on that one ! Boards still still cost more then X399 intel ones but least you don't need that giant LGA from intel to run their 28 core version ...

Also pretty sure I mentioned new GPU coming Q4 a while ago to ;) bit to be fair had no idea what it would entail.
Just a question if Nvidia will change their minds now, product was always stated to launch Q3, but seems AIB had a lot a say- says rumors in the wind ...

Last edited:
Soldato
If it's 32 core the new boards will need to support more memory for me to bite, I might go for the 24 core though

Though Epyc still apeals - especially with the new Asrock board that's appeared in the 2018 cataloue!

Soldato
Wow, another big step on core count. Don't think I'll be biting though, 16 is already more than enough for me. Makes these 4-6 core jobbies look like a calculator processors :p. High revving mopeds
Hopefully all the current boards do support all of the TR2 range. I wouldn't personally bother with overclocking a 32 core processor so doubt cooking the VRM's would be an issue in gaming or for other uses, or if it will be, then they'd better state that the processor needs a new board.

Soldato
Anandtech: https://www.anandtech.com/show/12906/amd-reveals-threadripper-2-up-to-32-cores-250w-x399-refresh

1. Both the 24-core and 32-core sample CPUs are clocked at 3.0GHz base and 3.4GHz all-core turbo, with the latter being a work-in-progress according to the company.
  2. The 32-core system was equipped with DDR4-3200 memory. This is notable because the Ryzen processors based on the same 12nm Zeppelin dies officially max out at DDR4-2933.
  3. The codename for the processor family is listed as "Colfax". This is the first we've heard this codename from AMD.
  4. Despite the high TDP, both CPUs used in AMD's demos were air-cooled, using AMD's Wraith Ripper Air Cooler

Caporegime
Wow, another big step on core count. Don't think I'll be biting though, 16 is already more than enough for me. Makes these 4-6 core jobbies look like a calculator processors :p. High revving mopeds
Hopefully all the current boards do support all of the TR2 range. I wouldn't personally bother with overclocking a 32 core processor so doubt cooking the VRM's would be an issue in gaming or for other uses, or if it will be, then they'd better state that the processor needs a new board.
Trying to figure out how i can approach my boss and claim i need two of these for "work purposes".

Soldato
Trying to figure out how i can approach my boss and claim i need two of these for "work purposes".

easy- you have the ability to sway users on forums the benefits of a 24/32 core system that costs the fraction of your rivals (well the 28 core version on an expensive LGA socket/chipset)- and with new boards that have been designed not to melt :D

If it's 32 core the new boards will need to support more memory for me to bite, I might go for the 24 core though

Though Epyc still apeals - especially with the new Asrock board that's appeared in the 2018 cataloue!

will dig to see if new x399 boards could support higher then 128GB - though havent seen any single 32GB sticks that are higher then 2600hz ???

Last edited:
Soldato
Bring on that 64 Core goodness to me and unlike Intel's scam tactics no new motherboard required either (just a Bios firmware update most likely).

Permabanned

It could be indeed easy, just show your boss what current applications you use and that you are limited by your current system multi-threading capabilities. If you prove and show him that you will save tons of time, you will get the deal ;)

Well, by the way, I am looking to ask you something - all of your machines at AMD are with AMD processors, right? You don't allow any Intel processor anywhere there (except laboratories for benchmarking purposes)?

I have been saying this for months. No one hears me :D

Caporegime
It could be indeed easy, just show your boss what current applications you use and that you are limited by your current system multi-threading capabilities. If you prove and show him that you will save tons of time, you will get the deal ;)

Well, by the way, I am looking to ask you something - all of your machines at AMD are with AMD processors, right? You don't allow any Intel processor anywhere there (except laboratories for benchmarking purposes)?

There's all kinds of hardware (not just AMD hardware )in the labs, for performance comparisons and to test and validate issues etc.

Inside of work (i work remotely at home as AMD UK does not have a campus like Austin/Markham) we all have 'all AMD systems', APU laptops for work etc.

Outside of work people can use what they please. I believe Robert Hallock uses a GTX 1080TI for example with a Ryzen processor. For me personally, I only ever use AMD hardware since Ryzen launched, prior to that i was using an Intel CPU.

I've always been pretty loyal to AMD hardware on the whole and to be frank, it's useful for my daily job to have first hand experience with as much AMD hardware as possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom