• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

*** Official Ryzen Threadripper Owners Thread ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 66701
  • Start date
Associate
Just installed my 2950X a short while ago....just wondering whats the highest single core boost you have seen and what you measured the boost on ?

edit: and the all core speed...

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Just installed my 2950X a short while ago....just wondering whats the highest single core boost you have seen and what you measured the boost on ?

edit: and the all core speed...
4.4ghz single core boost and between 4ghz and 4.15ghz all core boost (depends on workload). I use HWInfo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Yet to see it boost above 4GHz in single tasked process....weird.

Anything to check in bios I may have missed ?

So what is HWInfo showing as max on any core? Screenshot?

Updated to f10 bios I assume?

EDIT:-

I see you've posted on the GB X399 forums that you have updated to F10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Yes, updated to F10 prior to installing the new cpu.

Here is the shot you asked for in Hwinfo:

MyH5cMv.jpg

Core speeds are bouncing about but none exceed 4GHz. Temp of the cpu is 33.75c in Ryzen Master.

Running Cinebench R15 on the single core test, does not exceed 4GHz, temp increases to 42c.

Soldato
Had anyone heard any rumours regarding an 8 core TR2? If I go TR it will be for the platform and for now 8 cores would be enough but there's a nice upgrade path for the future. A slight loss in performance vs the mainstream platforms doesn't bother me.

Caporegime
Had anyone heard any rumours regarding an 8 core TR2? If I go TR it will be for the platform and for now 8 cores would be enough but there's a nice upgrade path for the future. A slight loss in performance vs the mainstream platforms doesn't bother me.

Would the 1920X not tempt you? A little bit slower in single thread, good multithreaded performance and all the upgradability.

Soldato
Would the 1920X not tempt you? A little bit slower in single thread, good multithreaded performance and all the upgradability.

I did think about that but it's another £120 and a bit slower single core. A few more compromises on top of a few other comprises! TR is not cheap to begin with so any cost saving at the moment is good. Down the road I hope to upgrade it to a beast ;)

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
Thanks but I'm after news on an 8 core TR2 of which there is no sign as far as I can find. Hopefully AMD are holding it back until the first gen are sold out.

1900x didn't sell very well so I wouldn't hold your breath

Associate
1900x is still pretty strong having an all core of 3.9Ghz and it is pretty cheap now.

As the 1900x was the fastest clocked Ryzen 1 I am interested to see if a 2900x drops with higher clocks than the rest again but might go for the 12 core, 2920x if boosting etc works well and the price is right.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
1900x is still pretty strong having an all core of 3.9Ghz and it is pretty cheap now.

As the 1900x was the fastest clocked Ryzen 1 I am interested to see if a 2900x drops but might go for the 12 core, 2920x if boosting etc works well.

2950x has a higher single core boost than a 2920x and the same all core boost. The price diff isn't that much. 2950x really is the pick of the ThreadRipper platform atm, esp when you factor in PBO netting all core boosts of 4.1ghz.

Associate
Dunno then - load optimised defaults?

Lol, although have done more to investigate this 'issue'.

To rule out any possible conflicting issues with the OS I re-installed Windows yesterday with the latest version 1803, after installation I just setup the usual drivers, gfx, sound, etc and get it back to its usable state, however still the problem persists - no boost over 4GHz.

Changing various CPU options in the BIOS had no effect along with changing any Windows power plans. Running Cinebench R15, Prime95 (single thread) and anything else I can think doesn't 'allow' the boost despite the respective core ramping up to 100% usage. I'm ruling out temps being the issue as they are in the low 30's...as I type this Ryzen Master reports 31.75c.

As you have succes in seeing the boost can you provide what you used to test the load/boost? I would expect to see a sustained speed during single execution, even in Windows there would be processes that would take advantage if boost was available.

I can't think of what else to test, but in summary:

1) Latest F10 BIOS applied and no overclock applied to any cpu option
2) Fresh install of OS with latest chipset, gfx, sound, etc drivers applied
3) Temps in low 30's
4) Down clocks are ok (cool and quiet) but no clock multiplier above 40 (as per CPU-Z)
5) No change with either Ryzen or Balanced power profile

I'm thinking there is a potential issue at the BIOS level, however this conflicts with your success having the same motherboard. I'm aware of AGESA being patched to v1.1.0.1a but this has yet to surface to my board and I have no idea what this fixes.

As is stands now I have a 2950X that only runs at 4GHz max which is way off the mark of its advertised speeds/functionality.

I don't think its unreasonable to expect to see boost speeds being applied especially as this is part of its selling point.

Please note this is not soley directed towards you, but you are the only one I'm aware of that has the same board and cpu.

Thanks.

Permabanned
Lol, although have done more to investigate this 'issue'.

To rule out any possible conflicting issues with the OS I re-installed Windows yesterday with the latest version 1803, after installation I just setup the usual drivers, gfx, sound, etc and get it back to its usable state, however still the problem persists - no boost over 4GHz.

Changing various CPU options in the BIOS had no effect along with changing any Windows power plans. Running Cinebench R15, Prime95 (single thread) and anything else I can think doesn't 'allow' the boost despite the respective core ramping up to 100% usage. I'm ruling out temps being the issue as they are in the low 30's...as I type this Ryzen Master reports 31.75c.

As you have succes in seeing the boost can you provide what you used to test the load/boost? I would expect to see a sustained speed during single execution, even in Windows there would be processes that would take advantage if boost was available.

I can't think of what else to test, but in summary:

1) Latest F10 BIOS applied and no overclock applied to any cpu option
2) Fresh install of OS with latest chipset, gfx, sound, etc drivers applied
3) Temps in low 30's
4) Down clocks are ok (cool and quiet) but no clock multiplier above 40 (as per CPU-Z)
5) No change with either Ryzen or Balanced power profile

I'm thinking there is a potential issue at the BIOS level, however this conflicts with your success having the same motherboard. I'm aware of AGESA being patched to v1.1.0.1a but this has yet to surface to my board and I have no idea what this fixes.

As is stands now I have a 2950X that only runs at 4GHz max which is way off the mark of its advertised speeds/functionality.

I don't think its unreasonable to expect to see boost speeds being applied especially as this is part of its selling point.

Please note this is not soley directed towards you, but you are the only one I'm aware of that has the same board and cpu.

Thanks.
Its an issue with the bios. With F10 bios and my 1950x clock do not go over 3.93, but with previous bios F2d clocks would happily go as high as 4.25.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

OP
I'm just about to post a big list of comparison benchmarks between my 1950x and 2950x - same system, same windows install, same F10 bios.

Both 1950x and 2950x are boosting as expected (4.2ghz on 1950x and 4.4ghz on 2950x).

Back
Top Bottom